Forum Member

Default Officer qualifications in New Jersey

Alright a little backround, we are a small volly dept in NJ who hasn't had much in the lines of classes or qualifications to be a line officer (chief, capt, Lieutenant). I am looking for any information you have on what you currently require as far as classes, department qualifications, anything basicly. If your from NJ it will be more helpfull as the class curriculum will be similar, however this doesnt mean if your from somewhere else dont answer ... looking for any information as we are trying to come up with a set program to become certain officers.

Forum Member

Here is ours...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

thanks that was excelent exactly what im looking for ... if anyone else has anything feel free continue to post. Bones i dont mean to nag but are you able to post the driver opperator section. That would help greatly as thats another area we are really lacking in policy. By the way my department is Spotswood N.J. which if you arent familiar with this area we are a 2.2 square mile all voll. department. However we do a lot of mutual aid, the only problem is our current committee working on our bylaws and SOGs wants to put classes that just came out within the past couple years not to mention the fact that till the last year we havent had money for training so noone could obtain these classes anyways. The biggest part of this also is these classes arent state recognized classes they are only offered by our county academy and as far as im aware nobody else offerst these classes. Essentially the committee wants to require fire 1 and fire 2 for first and second LT. Then they want to require fire 3 for a captain or assistant captain as well as the LT requirements. For chief they want all the previous and a building construction class. Now the makeup of the committee is 4 guys who have 6 years or less of firefighting experience and 2 guys with over 10 years. I am part of the under 6 years. Now the problems i have with these qualifications is this, Fire 2 and 3 are not state recognized classes, there is no uniform curriculum for either class. Fire 2 was just released by the academy within the last 10 years and fire 3 has been released within the last mabe 5 years. Now i am all for training as i have every single one of the classes above required for every officer position. However im not one of the gung ho young kids who takes a couple classes and thinks im gods gift to firefighting and respect that the guys who have been firefighters for 15 plus years know more about the job than i do even though they dont have a fire 2 or 3 certificate to their name.

Forum Member

You can see all of our SOG's on our website.

www.ofc1.org Look under the SOG's tab.

We are 1.5 sq mile area.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well............

Lt. - FF1 & 2, Fire Officer 1, Instructor 1, EMT-B, 3 Years on.

Captain - Same as above plus Fire Officer 2, and one year as a Lt.

Chiefs (all grades) Same as Captain plus Fire Officer 3, Instructor 2, and one year as Captain.

Everyone has to have Firefighter 1 and EMT-B, and there are a lot of "Little" things like ICS 100 thru 800, depending on your rank, Infection Control, CPR/AED, HazMat Operations, etc.

EVERYTHING here that can be matched to National Pro Board Certification is, and we accept any NBFSPQ Certifications that new members coming in might have from any previous FD/VFD.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

woods ... what kind of department are you paid or volly ... can you describe the fire officer classes as far as hours and what the difference between each is. The reason im asking is i notice your thing says ur from MD. we dont have anything like that offered in Jersey. Im just curious as to what that class curriculum is to see if we have anything that is similar in content. Also what extra is covered in Fire 2 that isnt in your Fire 1 and what is the hour break down between the 2. The reason i havent mentioned EMT is because we dont provide any real EMS we have about 12 EMTs at this time and the rest first responders but its not a requirement as we dont do any EMS accept assist in C-Spine immobilization on MVAs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Might want to start with what the state regs say,

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/dfs/incimemo.doc

Forum Member

MG im right along with you with that however the rest of the guys instead of takin baby steps and thinkin about what their doin jus wants to come up with this elaborate officer qualifications. What happend was we had to completely redo our bylaws and SOGs. In doing so we took some of the old bylaws and re worded and added a lot its really coming along nicely. So the current deputy asked me to come up with qualifications for all the line officers. So what i had come up with was different levels of years experience for each rank as well as what DFS required for schooling as the minimum. However like i said this wasnt good enough they thought it sounded good to require "fire 2" because the name sounded right cause it comes after "fire 1" however the problem with this literature is for the longest time fire 2 hasnt existed and it was called something else and good luck finding the curriculum for that. Then they wanted to add in "Fire 3" which is your engine opps, truck opps, rescue opps, and tactical. these classes only became availible as we know it now 5 years ago. The last class they want to add is a building construction, now again im one whose all for training however theres way too many gray areas with requiring this specific list of classes. One of the problems is guys who have served as line officers who have been firefighters longer than 10 years would now be required to go back to take a basic firefighting class cause they didnt offer a firefighter 2 class when they went through the academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by littlehouse26 View Post
    thanks that was excelent exactly what im looking for ... if anyone else has anything feel free continue to post. Bones i dont mean to nag but are you able to post the driver opperator section. That would help greatly as thats another area we are really lacking in policy. By the way my department is Spotswood N.J. which if you arent familiar with this area we are a 2.2 square mile all voll. department. However we do a lot of mutual aid, the only problem is our current committee working on our bylaws and SOGs wants to put classes that just came out within the past couple years not to mention the fact that till the last year we havent had money for training so noone could obtain these classes anyways. The biggest part of this also is these classes arent state recognized classes they are only offered by our county academy and as far as im aware nobody else offerst these classes. Essentially the committee wants to require fire 1 and fire 2 for first and second LT. Then they want to require fire 3 for a captain or assistant captain as well as the LT requirements. For chief they want all the previous and a building construction class. Now the makeup of the committee is 4 guys who have 6 years or less of firefighting experience and 2 guys with over 10 years. I am part of the under 6 years. Now the problems i have with these qualifications is this, Fire 2 and 3 are not state recognized classes, there is no uniform curriculum for either class. Fire 2 was just released by the academy within the last 10 years and fire 3 has been released within the last mabe 5 years. Now i am all for training as i have every single one of the classes above required for every officer position. However im not one of the gung ho young kids who takes a couple classes and thinks im gods gift to firefighting and respect that the guys who have been firefighters for 15 plus years know more about the job than i do even though they dont have a fire 2 or 3 certificate to their name.
    Why don't you just go down the road and ask the Boys at Station 51 what you should do. LOL.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

Harve-
    It's nice to see proactive agencies that push their officers to further their educations. Several agencies in North Jersey that I know have a handful of instructors in their ranks, but I don't know of any that actually require it of their officers. I'm interested in hearing of any that do up here.

MG-
    While I agree with you, I wonder how many fire agencies are aware of or follow that legislation. I wish DFS would enforce these regs, but I don't know that they have the manpower or the interest to do so.

Forum Member

On a serious note.....

The easiest way to start some sort of standard is to maybe include free online FEMA certs.

ICS 100
    http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/IS100a.asp

ICS 200
    http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/IS200a.asp

IS-700.a NIMS An Introduction
    http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is700a.asp

Leadership and Influence
    http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is240.asp

Decision Making and Problem Solving
    http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is241.asp

Effective Communication
    http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is242.asp

Developing and Managing Volunteers
    http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is244.asp

That's just a few I would recommend.

On a note so serious note....Eliminate popularity contests for officer positions.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    Why don't you just go down the road and ask the Boys at Station 51 what you should do. LOL.
    FDAIC obv your from the area, if you dont mind me askin where from. The online courses are a great idea, however i would like to see us use something on the lines of bones dept where its the basics as far as classes, and so many years experience as well as full qualification driving. Im actually taking suggestions from everyone and being very objective. I believe there are a lot of classes out there and some people should be encouraged to take them and thats all it would take to get the people who need more knowledge is jus some encouragement from the chief on certian classes. The problem is the individual pushing this is using this as an oppertunity to make himself look more qualified than another person by submitting his own resume so he can be somebody. The attack is that these people certinly cannot be more qualified than him (although he doesnt use himself) however its pretty obvious because they dont have the same certificates to his name. However its impossible to get it through to him that prior to all this WMD crud and Hazmat and blood bourne pathogens, they actually taught firefighters in fire 1 how to put out fires which in todays age takes 3 seperate classes cause of all the bull they added in. I agree it should never be a popularity contest i can honestly say i vote for the person who i believe has the best balance of firematic knowledge as well as management skills. However under the current system we have which is the same system the US president gets elected on it usually becomes a popularity contest. If you find the fool proof way of coming up with officers you let me know.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Here is ours...
    I think our years are a little more and we require IMS Level 2 for captain and higher.

NJ needs to move forward with requiring officer certification. I know the T&E Committee and the Division have been kicking this around for a while.

Originally, there would be no grandfathering. I've read that they are considering a test out option for officer I and a mandatory class for officer II.

It's also interesting that there may be some movement down in south jersey by the county training academies to be proboard?

Either way, the state needs to get with it!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I think our years are a little more and we require IMS Level 2 for captain and higher.

NJ needs to move forward with requiring officer certification. I know the T&E Committee and the Division have been kicking this around for a while.

Originally, there would be no grandfathering. I've read that they are considering a test out option for officer I and a mandatory class for officer II.

It's also interesting that there may be some movement down in south jersey by the county training academies to be proboard?

Either way, the state needs to get with it!
    I took the test for officer I about 2 months ago. It was poorly advertised and they never gave a list of study materials. I passed, but they ought to have been more public with it. Apparently I can now apply for state officer I...who knows.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    I took the test for officer I about 2 months ago. It was poorly advertised and they never gave a list of study materials. I passed, but they ought to have been more public with it. Apparently I can now apply for state officer I...who knows.
    I believe that was a pilot? I just read minutes from the March 2009 Fire Commissioner's meeting. Nothing seems to be finalized?

http://www.nj.gov/dca/dfs/fsc032009.pdf

We still look for the amendments to the Fire Officer Certification standards that were approved at the August meeting the Fire Safety Commission to be proposed by Commissioner Doria in the New Jersey Register. A question was raised if the Proposal should now refer to the 2008 edition of the NFPA standard.

Richard Anderson, a member of the Council suggested that the “Safety Through Leadership” program of the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation be included in the Officers program. No decision was made. The program will be distributed to the T&E members. It may also be part of the NFA program that is being offered on-line. We may have the course offered locally or as part of the CEU program and then make an evaluation.
    This was from January's Meeting:

There had been some concern that the Fire Officer program might need additional revisions to better teach the proficiencies for operations as well as administrative requirements. Comments from the pilot offerings and from instructors who have since taught the course were considered. It is essential that a more structured process be established to review this and all other certifications. By motion, it was decided that a meeting for the Tier-I academies and the T&E – Fire Officer Committee be scheduled and continued on a regular basis. The agenda for those meetings would likely be expanded to include all certification programs.

At the August meeting the Fire Safety Commission approved the Proposal for
    amendments to the Fire Officer Certification standards with a recommendation to Commissioner Doria that the changes be promulgated. I understand that the Proposal is in the Division’s Legislative & Regulatory Services Office. Unless there is other information, I recommend that a letter be sent to the Commissioner and the Legislative Office asking that the Proposal be printed.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

The "pilot" Fire Officer 1 was a joke.

We had guys pass it that would not qualify as officers in my Department. It was a book test, very little decision making and tactics related. Too much baloney.

Yes, it is better than nothing, but I think the pilot died a quick death because of it's lack of substance. That is my opinion.

ChiefKN, we have not updated our SOG's in a while, instead of IMS Level 1, we require IMS level 3 (I100-400). Our reasoning for the 300/400 was that we could have a 2nd Lt. operating as I.C., so they would "need" to be trained to that level. Can't always guarantee a Chief level officer at all calls.

Also, just learned that my County is looking into shutting down our FF1 training school as we don't run it at the County location. Would not be a good situation as that would require a 45 minute 1 way ride to class, which will impact instructors as well as students. We're hoping to convince them otherwise.

Somehow, teaching by State Level II instructors at a State approved facility is not good enough for the "higher ups".

Forum Member

Just a question but does anyone in the fire service as far as any state or anything, require something similar to the way EMT-Bs have to recert. Something along the lines of your certification is good for 3 years and within that time period you must take a core class thats 24 hours or so that just updates you on what has changed in the fire service, then do like some elective CEU classes. I believe the fire officer class would be a good thing the only problem i see is the same one with any of these new classes they seem to be so book oriented that people that arent so qualified as others can pass but really have no buisness on a fireground let alone in charge.

MembersZone Subscriber

here is the test I took, from the spring 09 course booklet.

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/dfs/spring09brochure.pdf

FIRE OFFICER 1 CHALLENGE FO1CH
    WRITTEN EXAMINATION
    New Jersey Division of Fire Safety
    The Division of Fire Safety is pleased to announce that a "challenge"
    Fire Officer 1 Written Examination will be conducted during the Spring 2009
    semester at specific regional fire academies. The Division of Fire Safety will
    accept the Fire Officer 1 Challenge Exam Completion Certificate to meet
    the "Written Examination" credentialing requirements established for the
    issuance of the Fire Officer 1 Certification. Below are listed the exam
    dates and locations. The exam is three hours in length. Each participant
    must show a photo ID to be admitted into the exam room. Registration is
    permitted through the NJ Portal System, or by calling the Office of Training
    and Certification. A confirmation notice will be sent to all who register. This
    announcement is not endorsed by the NJ Department of Personnel and
    will not substitute for their requirements. This examination will not be
    administered orally to a candidate. The exam questions have been validated
    by the Division of Fire Safety and meet the requirements of the NFPA 1021
    Standard.
    Please note that Fire Officer 1 written examination candidates will have
    "one" attempt to pass the "challenge" examination. A minimum passing
    score of "70" is required to pass the examination. The "challenge" Fire
    Officer 1 Written Examination will be offered to individuals who meet the
    following criteria:
    Each person tested through this "challenge" examination must possess a
    valid "Incident Management Level 1" certification issued by the Division of
    Fire Safety, and have previously served, or currently be serving as a fire
    suppression fire officer within a fire company, fire department, fire district
    or fire brigade. To clarify, "Fire Officer" shall be a Lieutenant, Captain,
    Battalion Chief, Assistant Chief, Deputy Chief or Fire Chief. Fire Police line
    officer titles will not be accepted as meeting fire suppression line officer
    requirements.
    Saturday April 4 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Bergen County Fire Academy
    Monday April 20 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Mercer County Fire Academy
    Friday May 8 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Somerset County Fire Academy
    Tuesday May 19 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Kean University CAS Room 106
    Saturday June 6 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Burlington County ESTC
    Tuesday June 16 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Middlesex County Fire Academy

Back In Black

ChiefKN, we have not updated our SOG's in a while, instead of IMS Level 1, we require IMS level 3 (I100-400). Our reasoning for the 300/400 was that we could have a 2nd Lt. operating as I.C., so they would "need" to be trained to that level. Can't always guarantee a Chief level officer at all calls.
    You don't need IMS level 3 to run a fire unless it requires state level resources. We figured that if that happens, that one of the Chiefs would leave work and show up.

And the State Police would show up and intimidate everyone into submission.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post ...........................

Bump Up for FF Miller...............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Per std in the Army. Best qualified may not = fully qualified.

Positon still has to be filled. By the Best qualified and available.

Forum Member

Are there any age requirements in NJ currently? I have above and beyond Fire officer qualifications but I'm 20.

Forum Member

Age requirements to be an officer? Have to be over 18 years of age. No state standard/law/etc on age of officers.

Forum Member

Age requirements to be an officer? Have to be over 18 years of age. No state standard/law/etc on age of officers.

Yes there is an age requirement in NJ......must be at least 21 years old

Forum Member

Yes there is an age requirement in NJ...........must be at least 21

Thread Information