Forum Member

Default Will a helmet front / shield from a 1010 fit a N6A?

I apologize if this has been covered, but I couldn't find any previous topics on it.

I currently have a 1010 and recently ordered a N6A. Will the helmet front swap right over or will I need to get a new one on order?

Thanks!
    Jeff

Edited: I have a 1010, not a 1044. I don't know what I was thinking. Must have had 1044 on the brain from looking around the Cairns website. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by jeffvic; 07-11-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Typo

Forum Member

It will fit, the holes may be a little off, but nothing major.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Thanks! A little hole adjustment won't hurt

Forum Member

Spend the extra bucks and get a new shield for the lid!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

That would be too much new for me, I wouldn't know what to do!

I have been looking around at them, but until I figure out what I want I will put the old one on.

Forum Member

Got the helmet today and it looks great. One thing I am confused about is the chin strap. My old strap is longer and the velcro portion is longer. When I pull the strap tight, I can velcro the strap onto itself to keep the loose end tight to the strap. The strap with the N6A is so much shorter that I can't even pull it, much less get to the velcro that is 4 or so inches away. Anyone else noticed anything like this?

Forum Member

Cool

yea jeff,
    mine is the same way. you just gotta took the excess portion under the strap thts going around the helmet and it should stay there and not mess up the look of the helmet

Forum Member

Thanks! I have looked that the photo on the Cairns catalog and there is a difference between the length on the composite helmets and the leather ones from the photos. I compared my old one and it's much longer...

Also, an update on my original post, the holes on the shield fit fine, but the top of the shield was about half an inch short, partially due to my old helmet eagle being bent down. I ended up ordering a new one from Paul Conway, so that should fit better...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffvic View Post
    Also, an update on my original post, the holes on the shield fit fine, but the top of the shield was about half an inch short, partially due to my old helmet eagle being bent down. I ended up ordering a new one from Paul Conway, so that should fit better...
    You could have just made the front fit into the eagle, drilled new holes for the posts, and used brass braids to fill the old holes.

Cost - about 15 cents......tops.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information