Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Transferring from state to state

I am a current state of wisconsin firefighter 1 and 2 level, driver operator, a fire investigator, and EMT-B. I want to get a job in either colorado or california. Transfering state certifications from state to state, does that take alot of time to do? Should I apply for the job and then get the other state cert.? Does this cost alot of money?

Ive searched and emailed others but havent gotten any answers.

How do I even go about transferring state level certs to other states?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Default Check proboard certifications

Are you familiar with the ProBoard certifications? These are a nationally accredited certification process that effectively grants reciprocity for various certifications across the US and Canada.

http://www.theproboard.org/agencies.htm

Check that link to see if your issuing agency is certified. If they are not listed, they might be in process and you *might* still be able to get your certs accredited.

Of course, the receiving agency also have to recognize pro-board certs as well. I believe Colorado does, and while California doesn't officially, some organizations themselves might also accept them.

The for your EMT cert. National Registry http://www.nremt.org also does the same process.

If you're applying to a larger department, they will likely want you to go through their own recruit school. Otherwise, I would also email the departments in question and see what their policy is for accepting out of state certifications.

Hope that helps.

-chris
    FTM-PTB-EGH

Silly thing about your Wisconsin Certs..... There is no national certification process, so each place you go is different. As you know in Wisconsin we have Entry Level 1 and 2, then Cert 1, then Cert 2.

The hours and requirements here are different than other places. If I remember it's about 60 hours, then FF1 and FF2.

Other states don't have any entry level, others have a significant number of FF1 hours....blah...blah

You'll have to check with the individual states and depts you are looking at to see how they treat transfers.

This is the main problem with not having a national standard like the NREMT.

Regardless....good luck (why would you ever wanna leave God's Country?)

I think if you go to California, you will have to do the whole program again. I dont' think they will accept any other states certs.

In VA if the certs are NFPA standard and are current the State of VA will accept them, but most cities and counties won't and you will have to compete the recruit program and test just as members do who don't know why fire trucks are parked in the house facing outward to the street!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up What He Said.................

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I think if you go to California, you will have to do the whole program again. I dont' think they will accept any other states certs.

In VA if the certs are NFPA standard and are current the State of VA will accept them, but most cities and counties won't and you will have to compete the recruit program and test just as members do who don't know why fire trucks are parked in the house facing outward to the street!

What Cap said, and then some...........

IF you can do so, get National Pro Board Certification. But, having said that, Every place that I'm aware of, particulary here in the East, You can have a Phd in hose dragging but you're going to that department's Training Academy regardless.

Harve's Rules on Training are:

1. NEVER pay for Training.

2. ALWAYS get National Pro Board Certification for what you do.

3. ANY Department that want's you to come to them already trained isn't worth working for.

4. IF YOU CAN, start as a Volunteer and get the feel of this business before committing to a Career that you may find that you don't like later.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Although Pro Board and IFSAC are becoming very common nationwide, many states still only recognize their training and certifications when it comes to getting jobs. Often times, someone who holds IFSAC or Pro Board certification can apply to test for the certifications they hold in another state. It does NOT exempt them from testing - it usually only allows them to skip the training required for certification because holding IFSAC or Pro Board certifications demonstrates you've been trained to whatever level you are seeking certification for.

Check with whatever state you are wanting to move to. Often time, the state training program (usually affiliated with a college or university) is a great resource.

If you know where you want to work and are determined to get a job there, find out what the requirements are and fly out there to test. It'll make you more marketable once you've gotten a few steps into the hiring process. Some places require certification to even apply for a job. If this is the case, you'll be ready to go once they announce a hiring process.
    rjtoc2

career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

That is correct.

You will have to do all or most of it over again. Some states might recognize certain parts of your training but most will make you do it "their way."

Likewise, WI will not recognize any other state certification, for the most part. Totally depends on the technical college system you live in. I know in my area, Chippewa Valley Tech. will not accept stuff that others will like Fox Valley, Gateway or others.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

True dat. Nothing transfers in to CA.

Forum Member

The more posts I see about this crap the madder I get.

Firefighter I and all this other stuff were meant to be national certifications. That was their purpose- a standardized curriculum with a certification that could be taken from state to state.

Why do we even bother with them anymore as seemingly portability is, in most cases, seemingly no longer relevant?

It just irritates me that it seems like all they are good for is to make some state's fire training agency some money.

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    What Cap said, and then some...........

IF you can do so, get National Pro Board Certification. But, having said that, Every place that I'm aware of, particulary here in the East, You can have a Phd in hose dragging but you're going to that department's Training Academy regardless.

Harve's Rules on Training are:

1. NEVER pay for Training.

2. ALWAYS get National Pro Board Certification for what you do.

3. ANY Department that want's you to come to them already trained isn't worth working for.

4. IF YOU CAN, start as a Volunteer and get the feel of this business before committing to a Career that you may find that you don't like later.
    I agree 100%. although it's starting to become a common course to have most places don't recognize pro board certs. Delaware teaches pro boards but aren't bound by them. You still must complete the required State recognized courses. And by they way Harve I'm lovin' the training list...lol especially rule #1...lol
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well.................

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    The more posts I see about this crap the madder I get.

Firefighter I and all this other stuff were meant to be national certifications. That was their purpose- a standardized curriculum with a certification that could be taken from state to state.

Why do we even bother with them anymore as seemingly portability is, in most cases, seemingly no longer relevant?

It just irritates me that it seems like all they are good for is to make some state's fire training agency some money.
    ABSOLUTELY!! We agree. And in many states, it's NOT the Fire Training Agency, but other institutions of higher learning that are pocketing the Bucks.

Tones BBL>
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information