Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Default HID vs. Halogen Spot Light

First thing first; I am a salesman, not a fire fighter. I use my real name in order to be transparent.

Many departments question the cost difference between H.I.D. (high intensity discharge) lighting vs. traditional halogen. Before working your next truck spec, you might want to take a minute to educate yourself on the differences between the two technologies.

The video found on the page below can help accomplish this by showing three different spot light comparisons (2 Halogen and 1 H.I.D.). Once you click on the link, click the large “Play” button found on the right hand side of the page.

http://www.havis.com/products/SPTLT_...A-37325-0.html

Thanks,
    Cameron Blain
    OEM Account Manager – Fire/EMS

Your "video" is nothing but a promotion for Havis products. That's all it is. It is not "educational". Showing a light pattern on a garage door doesn't accurately portray lighting capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post
    Your "video" is nothing but a promotion for Havis products. That's all it is. It is not "educational". Showing a light pattern on a garage door doesn't accurately portray lighting capabilities.
    I'm not sure you can state its not educational. There were several items in there I'm sure a lot of people are not aware of. I was always under the assumption that HID's took 1-2 minutes to get to full brightness. Also, the instant-on is something I wasn't aware of. I was always under the impression that the lights had a reset period before you could turn them back on. It appears there is some new technology available.

Thanks for the info.

Forum Member

If you are looking for scene lighting you would be amiss not to look at the LED scene lights comming from Whelen.. We have the standard Pioneers on out new Ambulance and they are awsome I am wanting to upgrade already to the Pioneer+ at double the light output. The Pioneeer + puts out comparable light to a 500w Halogen!! We also put HID pole lights on our New Ambulance and have already had the balasts replaced in less than 2 months..

not a salesman a customer

Forum Member

Default H.I.D. vs. Halogen

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post

Just as there are multiple ways to attack a fire, there are multiple ways to promote products. I welcome any constructive feedback - personally or publically. Perhaps you can include what you would have done differently in your reply to make it more accurate?

One thing to remember...when working to create video of bright lights, it is exceptionally difficult to convey brightness through video. To illustrate - have you ever pointed your digital camera at the sun or other bright light source? Unless you know what you're doing with iris'ing the camera down, the picture will look like junk. That's the obstacle me or anyone else has to overcome in trying to communicate "brightness" and "lamp color temperature" when using video. We shot the video in HD. Unfortunately, most of fine color detail is lost because the video had to be compressed for web delivery.

I have 75 guys scattered throughout the US that would be more than willing to come to your department with both Halogen (FX 12) and H.I.D. version to install on your aerial for you to see the actual difference for yourself. Yes, video is not the best medium to communicate. But it's sure better than nothing. Contact me at my email cblain@havis.com if you’re interested in seeing for yourself.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5473 View Post
    If you are looking for scene lighting you would be amiss not to look at the LED scene lights comming from Whelen.. We have the standard Pioneers on out new Ambulance and they are awsome I am wanting to upgrade already to the Pioneer+ at double the light output. The Pioneeer + puts out comparable light to a 500w Halogen!! We also put HID pole lights on our New Ambulance and have already had the balasts replaced in less than 2 months..

not a salesman a customer
    I'm sorry to hear that you've had ballast problems with your ambulance. Were these Havis ballasts? If so, did you contact your Dealer so that we could start the warranty process? Was the situation resolved, or is it still occurring?

FYI - Havis has partnered with Whelen to distribute the Pioneer lights. See link - http://www.havis.com/data/KwRaz/WHEL...P_NPR_6-09.pdf

Any of your Havis or Whelen folks can provide more information.

Forum Member

Another consideration besides the amount of light, is the power requirements.
    We recently put a Fast Attack in service with a small (manufacturer's name omitted intentionally) light tower, with four 12volt, HID light heads.

No generator, no extra noise, and the 150watt HID heads are at least as bright as conventional 500 watt AC light heads.

They take about a minute to come to full power, but they have instant restrike... and the light is much whiter.

Not for every application, and I imagine the LED's would be a good option for 12 volt as well.. but there are many ways to attack the lighting problem.

Thread Information