Permanently Removed

Default A Soldier's take on Michael Jackson's Death

I dont share this stuff too often, but had to share this one...Bou

This is written by a young man serving his third tour of duty in Iraq. Thought you might find his take on the Michael Jackson news interesting.

Okay, I need to rant. I was just watching the news, and I caught part of a report on Michael Jackson. As we all know, Jackson died the other day. He was an entertainer who performed for decades. He made millions, he spent millions, and he did a lot of things that make him a villian to many people. I understand that his death would affect a lot of people, and I respect those people who mourn his death, but that isn't the point of my rant.

Why is it that when ONE man dies, the whole of America loses their minds with grief. When a man dies whose only contribution to the country was to ENTERTAIN people, the Amercian people find the need to flock to a memorial in Hollywood, and even Congress sees the need to hold a "moment of silence" for his passing?

Am I missing something here? ONE man dies, and all of a sudden he's a freaking martyr because he entertained us for a few decades? What about all those SOLDIERS who have died to give us freedom? All those Soldiers who, knowing that they would be asked to fight in a war, still raised their hands and swore to defend the Constitution and the United States of America. Where is their moment of silence? Where are the people flocking to their graves or memorials and mourning over them because they made the ultimate sacrifice? Why is it when a Soldier dies, there are more people saying "good riddence," and "thank God for IEDs?" When did this country become so calloused to the sacrifice of GOOD MEN and WOMEN, that they can arbitrarily blow off their deaths, and instead, throw themselves into mourning for a "Pop Icon?"

I think that if they are going to hold a moment of silence IN CONGRESS for Michael Jackson, they need to hold a moment of silence for every service member killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. They need to PUBLICLY recognize every life that has been lost so that the American people can live their callous little lives in the luxury and freedom that WE, those that are living and those that have gone on, have provided for them. But, wait, that would take too much time, because there have been so many willing to make that sacrifice. After all, we will never make millions of dollars. We will never star in movies, or write hit songs that the world will listen too. We only shed our blood, sweat and tears so that people can enjoy what they have..

Sorry if I have offended, but I needed to say it. Remember these five words the next time you think of someone who is serving in the military- "So that others may live..."

Isaac

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Too damn true.

One of the things I have expressed to my kids over and over is that we get to do the stupid things we take for granted everyday because brave men and women put their lives on the line to maintain our freedoms.

Unfortunately the American people as a whole have an incredibly short memory and can be incredibly cynical and ungrateful.

Default From a vet.

I am a combat wounded(Iraq) vet and it ticked me off to no end to see all the coverage of MJ's funeral yet the servicemembers that died in Afghanistan that day were relegated to the little bar that runs on the bottom of the screen.

I said the following on facebook and got attacked by people who thought I was putting down MJ.
    " 4 servicemembers died in Iraq the day after Michael Jackson died, 2 of them were FireFighters. Where is their nationally televised concert?"

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry if I have offended, but I needed to say it. Remember these five words the next time you think of someone who is serving in the military- "So that others may live..."

Isaac
    awsome post.... issac, thank you for the service and your willingness to lay down the freedoms you have had to serve that others may be free.

thank you again.

cbk
    former marine corporal
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

MembersZone Subscriber

Got that in an email....regardless if it really came from a soldier or not...

VERY TRUE!!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    I dont share this stuff too often, but had to share this one...Bou

This is written by a young man serving his third tour of duty in Iraq. Thought you might find his take on the Michael Jackson news interesting.

Okay, I need to rant. I was just watching the news, and I caught part of a report on Michael Jackson. As we all know, Jackson died the other day. He was an entertainer who performed for decades. He made millions, he spent millions, and he did a lot of things that make him a villian to many people. I understand that his death would affect a lot of people, and I respect those people who mourn his death, but that isn't the point of my rant.

Why is it that when ONE man dies, the whole of America loses their minds with grief. When a man dies whose only contribution to the country was to ENTERTAIN people, the Amercian people find the need to flock to a memorial in Hollywood, and even Congress sees the need to hold a "moment of silence" for his passing?

Am I missing something here? ONE man dies, and all of a sudden he's a freaking martyr because he entertained us for a few decades? What about all those SOLDIERS who have died to give us freedom? All those Soldiers who, knowing that they would be asked to fight in a war, still raised their hands and swore to defend the Constitution and the United States of America. Where is their moment of silence? Where are the people flocking to their graves or memorials and mourning over them because they made the ultimate sacrifice? Why is it when a Soldier dies, there are more people saying "good riddence," and "thank God for IEDs?" When did this country become so calloused to the sacrifice of GOOD MEN and WOMEN, that they can arbitrarily blow off their deaths, and instead, throw themselves into mourning for a "Pop Icon?"

I think that if they are going to hold a moment of silence IN CONGRESS for Michael Jackson, they need to hold a moment of silence for every service member killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. They need to PUBLICLY recognize every life that has been lost so that the American people can live their callous little lives in the luxury and freedom that WE, those that are living and those that have gone on, have provided for them. But, wait, that would take too much time, because there have been so many willing to make that sacrifice. After all, we will never make millions of dollars. We will never star in movies, or write hit songs that the world will listen too. We only shed our blood, sweat and tears so that people can enjoy what they have..

Isaac
    Amen Brother

Forum Member

And lets not forget, he was a drug addicted pedophile.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default Late

Finding this post a bit late, but can't let it go without an Amen.

James Moore

Forum Member

ffmcgough and ffmedcbk1 Thank you for your service to our country.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

Exclamation

Michael Jackson was a joke of his former self. He was no longer a pop star, he was a pedophile. He was a criminal. He was nothing to praise. Now if he had died back in the 80's or early 90's before all the business with the kids, then there would be something to be upset about. But not he was so crazy old guy who held children out windows, Said theirs nothing wrong with little kids sharing your bed (try telling that to a judge and getting away with it). He was in a complete fairy land. Men and women die everyday and they get nothing. There just a statistic that politicians use to get elected. People always forget the bad when someone dies. "OH Michael wanted to save the world" no he just wanted to be a little boy. "His childhood was robbed of him" there are kids starving and homeless tonight that would have loved to live his life. Hey as i write this there is a group of soldiers hold up in some dirt hole trying not to get killed and protecting his fellow soldiers. He gets not glory, he gets no 15 minuted of fame. all he gets is the knowledge that the media could care less about him. That his own state senator will forget his name in a week after he dies. The media is Bull$hit. it's never gonna change. It will always be "if it bleeds or breeds, it leads" So maybe they should just devote hours of news to soldiers dying. No sports, no inside Hollywood piece, no weather, just info on the soldiers who died that day. Show their funerals, show their grieving mothers and fathers. Show the wife and kids who don't have a father anymore. I bet none of them are gonna be fighting over who gets what of the soldiers left behind. I can assure you it's no millions of dollars. And they are not gonna have a moment of silence in congress.

OK rant over cause i am about to smash my computer i am so fired up right now.

Stay safe and Thank you to all of you who have fought for our freedom and god bless all of you whom shall never return to this the greatest country in the world.
    The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men. ~Henry David Thoreau

Forum Member

What 99% of the media(and a lot of our politicians)fail to take in to consideration is that SOLDIERS gave them the freedom to do what they do.And they get WHAT in return? Maligned,no med care,and other indignities.If someone in this country doesn't WAKE UP pretty quick,we're doomed.God bless our servicemen(and women)each and every one.and THANK YOU for your service! T.C.

Thread Information