1. #26
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    From what I know the RPAT is considered to be easier than the CPAT. Start out with carrying a hose bundle up 5 stories, come back down, advance an uncharged hoseline approx. 75' then drag another 75' or so to your position. Next is equipment carry, I believe a chainsaw and rotary saw, one in each hand, walk around a cone and back. Then a CPAT style "forcible entry simulator" where you take a sledge and hit a target until an alarm sounds. After this is a darkened maze crawl. You end the test with a dummy drag, which I think weighs 180lbs, and is dragged 100'. If you have taken and passed the CPAT the RPAT will be no problem. Keep in mind also you have 15 minutes to complete the test. Good Luck.

  2. #27
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wheeling, WV, United States
    Posts
    5

    Default Written Exam

    Does anyone have information about the written exam? This is my first attempt at a firefighting job. It says "general knowledge," but I'm wondering if this means general knowledge about the fire service or simply reading comprehension etc.

    thanks,

    Jeremy

  3. #28
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    11

    Default

    From my previous "general knowledge" test experience's they are like a very watered down SAT... if 6th graders took the SAT it would be at their level. I have seen some test that are a little harder then others and some that contain general related fire questions, but for the most part The math portion usually has world problems that require you to use fractions, percentages, multiplication, or division. Reading comprehension is exactly what it sounds like! If you can read... you can pass! Some portions have gear, pulley, or lever diagrams which you have to figure out their rotations or their ending actions. Finally and Im sry to beat the dead horse, but count on some sort of a map scenario... either its for memory questions or direction based questions.

    also Richmond is holding a open house on Aug. 26th at their headquarters. It should be a great time to ask all kinds of questions and get your name out there! I know I'll be there...

  4. #29
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    69

    Default meet and greet on the 26th

    what is the dress for the meet and greet on the 26? All of my suits are too big now, but my class As would seem over the top...

  5. #30
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bugsdad View Post
    what is the dress for the meet and greet on the 26? All of my suits are too big now, but my class As would seem over the top...



    A nice pair of trousers and a shirt would be appropriate for males and a nice non revealing dress, blouse and skirt for the females.

    NO dress uniform or FD TEEís. You do not want to look like a whacker or dork!

    No baggie hip hugging pants!

    Remember these folks who you are meeting will in more than likely be the ones who will interview and make some of the decisions. Don't shoot yourself in the foot!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  6. #31
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    49

    Default

    I know the application period closes on 9/13, but anybody heard rumors when the written will be?

    Also, what type of written exam is this? General knowledge, math, memorization?

  7. #32
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Haven't heard any exact dates yet. If I had to guess I would say within a month or so. They need to give the written, get the scores, do two rounds of interviews, backgrounds, psych test, medical clearance, all in time to start a class in Feb. So the process should be fairly rapid.

    Sounds like the written will be like the last several, one portion of general knowledge; math, reading comprehension, maybe some map reading etc., then the second half will be a lot of "personality" questions meant to assess how you work with others and things of that nature. It should be very similar to what the other large departments in the region are using these days.

  8. #33
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    69

    Default Culture at the academy

    I was unable to get the video about the last academy to play. I am curious as to how the academy is run. If it is very militaristic or more casual. What is PT like, mainly running or more of a variety like crossfit, is it daily or a couple time a week? anyone able to play the video or any one with insight?

  9. #34
    Forum Member
    yjbrody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Anyone know if there will be a special testing schedule for out of state applicants? I know that some cities will try to schedule several tests in one trip for those out of state to cut down on the ammount of travel they have to pay for. Just curious, but can't tell by the original post.

  10. #35
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody64 View Post
    Anyone know if there will be a special testing schedule for out of state applicants? I know that some cities will try to schedule several tests in one trip for those out of state to cut down on the ammount of travel they have to pay for. Just curious, but can't tell by the original post.

    Are you serious?

    Testing will be on the date(s) they they FD says! No exceptions!

    You want a chance of getting a job be there when they tell you. Do Not Show up late! You will not be allowed to test if you are late. Lateness isn't acceptable in recruit school or the fire house.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  11. #36
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bugsdad View Post
    I was unable to get the video about the last academy to play. I am curious as to how the academy is run. If it is very militaristic or more casual. What is PT like, mainly running or more of a variety like crossfit, is it daily or a couple time a week? anyone able to play the video or any one with insight?
    Military style. If an instructor or other member ask ou something, its yes sir, no sir or I will find out sir. Others words keep you mouth shut unless you are asked. Huh the wall when walk through the building. Officers, Instructors and firefighters have the right of way.

    PT everyday, rain or not, heat or not. Machine, outside on the yard, push up, pull ups, sits ups, jumping jacks, stretches, running up and down the drill tower and then upwards to a 5 mile run before you graduate, if you make it that far. No BS'ing the instructors. They have been there before so they can spot an imposter.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  12. #37
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Are you serious?

    Testing will be on the date(s) they they FD says! No exceptions!

    You want a chance of getting a job be there when they tell you. Do Not Show up late! You will not be allowed to test if you are late. Lateness isn't acceptable in recruit school or the fire house.
    Captoldtimer, don't be such a d!ck! He was just asking if the testing process has any of the steps combined for out of state applicants, and despite what you might think many departments do this as a courtesy to minimize out of pocket cost for applicants. It works out well for the department as well because there might be a top notch applicant out there that can't afford multiple plane trips. Please don't bother with the I've been doing this since you were in diapers speech, I just wanted to point out that this guy had a legit question and if you don't know the answer just stfu and let someone who does help him out.

  13. #38
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phase96 View Post
    Captoldtimer, don't be such a d!ck! He was just asking if the testing process has any of the steps combined for out of state applicants, and despite what you might think many departments do this as a courtesy to minimize out of pocket cost for applicants. It works out well for the department as well because there might be a top notch applicant out there that can't afford multiple plane trips. Please don't bother with the I've been doing this since you were in diapers speech, I just wanted to point out that this guy had a legit question and if you don't know the answer just stfu and let someone who does help him out.
    No, they aren't holding the test on another day for out of towners. Being a D!CK? STFU??? I guess you don't like it here, huh? What nerve you have my friend.

    Despite what you may have seen elsewhere or have heard sonny, Richmond DOES NOT hold testing on a diffrent date so out of state folks can make it. The test date is announce and that is the date it is given, like it or not. He had an ligit question and I answer it.

    Are you from Richmond? I am, get over your smartness, it isn't appreicated.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  14. #39
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    No, they aren't holding the test on another day for out of towners.
    That's all you had to say in the first post, instead of putting in your two cents on top of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Being a D!CK? STFU??? I guess you don't like it here, huh? What nerve you have my friend.
    Not sure what you mean by this but, I like it hear fine and I stand by what I said.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Despite what you may have seen elsewhere or have heard sonny, Richmond DOES NOT hold testing on a diffrent date so out of state folks can make it. The test date is announce and that is the date it is given, like it or not. He had an ligit question and I answer it.
    All you had to do was read into his post a tiny bit to realize that he simply used a poor choice of words when he said testing Anyone with one iota of common sense could see that he was trying to figure out if they combined any of the STEPS in the hiring process. Example, the RPAT and the interview, or the physical and the pych, things like that. Also, if you take the time to actually read a post, I didn't claim to have heard or know anything about the richmond process. I simply pointed out that alot of departments try to help out of state applicants as much as possible without it costing the department more money or hindering the process. Sonny? I'm not sure if you think I am some teenager fresh out of high school, but I assure you good sir, while my life experiences may not be in the fire service, I have done and seen alot of ****, enough to be able to point out when someone is being a dick.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Are you from Richmond? I am, get over your smartness, it isn't appreicated.
    Congratulations!!! Is this where we are just supposed to gobble up every thing you say because you are from Richmond?

  15. #40
    Forum Member
    yjbrody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    No, they aren't holding the test on another day for out of towners.
    There's the answer I was looking for! The rest I could have done without, but if I had thin skin I prob wouldn't be on this forum in the first place.

    Best of luck to those applying.

  16. #41
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    69

    Cool Threadjacked

    Its too bad this thread started out as an extremely useful source of information, and it has been moved into a diatribe to boost ego..oh well too bad.
    Good luck to all who apply.

  17. #42
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    During the last test, they broke the written into an AM and PM session. Don't know if they would let you switch between the two due to coming in from out of town. My advice would be to contact the recruitment officer at RFD headquarters. Don't let the old retired guy scare you off...

  18. #43
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichmondFire View Post
    During the last test, they broke the written into an AM and PM session. Don't know if they would let you switch between the two due to coming in from out of town. My advice would be to contact the recruitment officer at RFD headquarters. Don't let the old retired guy scare you off...
    Thanks for all your feedback. It has been very helpful. Just to confirm with you, business casual is acceptable for the 26th.

  19. #44
    Forum Member
    yjbrody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichmondFire View Post
    During the last test, they broke the written into an AM and PM session. Don't know if they would let you switch between the two due to coming in from out of town. My advice would be to contact the recruitment officer at RFD headquarters. Don't let the old retired guy scare you off...
    Yeah, as it sits right now it seems like the whole process is pretty divided up into specific chunks that out of towners would have to fly/drive in for separately. Some other depts that I have tested with scheduled the physical and written on the same day to accomodate those from out of state. Doesn't seem to be the case with you guys though. I think I'm looking at a grand in just airline fees alone. Seems like an awesome dept though. Wish I could.

    Best of luck with your hiring process though and thx for the feedback on the session times.

  20. #45
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody64 View Post
    Yeah, as it sits right now it seems like the whole process is pretty divided up into specific chunks that out of towners would have to fly/drive in for separately. Some other depts that I have tested with scheduled the physical and written on the same day to accomodate those from out of state. Doesn't seem to be the case with you guys though. I think I'm looking at a grand in just airline fees alone. Seems like an awesome dept though. Wish I could.

    Best of luck with your hiring process though and thx for the feedback on the session times.
    A grand?? Dude, fly to DC and rent a car. If you looked hard enough and explored different airports to fly into I'm sure it wouldn't be that expensive. I can fly DC to San Diego for under 400 round trip.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

  21. #46
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Business casual is fine imho. One option for out of towners looking to save a trip is to take the CPAT somewhere local to you. Richmond will accept a valid CPAT card in lieu of taking the "RPAT".

  22. #47
    Forum Member
    Jonnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,256

    Exclamation

    Just a few things fellows and I'll sit back and you all can have at it.

    Too many outsiders in here stirring which isn't necessary. I have been in the fire service for a long time and know when someone is trying to stir the pot.

    There are some good questions that have come forth. For the most part the correct answers have been given. Some of you refuse to accept the answers by those who have walked the walk and know what they are saying.

    Fire departments being what they are somewhat different when it comes down to certain things. I know from what others have said that Richmond is one of the best in the nation and do a tremendous job at what they do.
    If you think I am a BSíer, I am not. Take a peek at my profile. I have earned everything I have and there is more to me than what you see there.



    There arenít many large urban departments that do the written and physical testing on the same day.

    Most do the written and then IF you pass that you are invited to take the physical test.

    I think that the RPAT has to be a watered down version of the CPAT so itís like a cake walk.

    I know the old captain has told you guys a lot of information, but having known of him by association in the State of Virginia, I am not with Richmond, he is truthful and tells it like it is. He isnít trying to discourage any one; in fact I know where he is coming from as he was once head of their training school!

    As far as the guy from Colorado, I checked Southwest Airline, www.southwest.com from Denver to Norfolk, VA and WOW you can get a flight for around $120.00 round trip. Rent a car at Norfolk International and drive to Richmond, 80 miles, get a motel near where the testing will be, get a good night sleep, take the written test. Look around Richmond to see if you will like the area. Drive back to Norfolk; turn the car in, board the flight back to Denver. I would expect that you may spend less than $500.00 for everything.

    Good luck to all who has applied for the chance to get hired. They are an aggressive department as well as a proud one.

  23. #48
    Forum Member
    yjbrody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    700

    Default Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    As far as the guy from Colorado, I checked Southwest Airline, www.southwest.com from Denver to Norfolk, VA and WOW you can get a flight for around $120.00 round trip. Rent a car at Norfolk International and drive to Richmond, 80 miles, get a motel near where the testing will be, get a good night sleep, take the written test. Look around Richmond to see if you will like the area. Drive back to Norfolk; turn the car in, board the flight back to Denver. I would expect that you may spend less than $500.00 for everything.
    That's some good advice. My estimation had me making several trips there for written, then oral, then physical, etc. Thanks Jonnee for taking the time to look into and post it.

    Also, I had forgotten that if you have your CPAT already, that will count. Thx RichmondFire for pointing that out. I just took mine in May, so that will save me a trip too.

    Might be able to make this happen after all.

    Thanks for posts all. I'd be an honor to work for such a fine dept.

  24. #49
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wheeling, WV, United States
    Posts
    5

    Default medical exam

    I'm hoping someone in the know can help me out with this question. I had back surgery 5 years ago. (partial diskectomy L3-4) I am an athlete and in good shape but I'm wondering, will this automatically disqualify me from Richmond or any other departments hiring process?

  25. #50
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    163

    Default

    does anybody know how many points are awarded to veterans

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Madison, WI Ė 2009 Hiring Process
    By SCSmith in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 05:33 PM
  2. Casper Fire Department Hiring 2009
    By Wyofirefight in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 12:30 AM
  3. WI 2009 hiring process at CVTC
    By Water-Hammer in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 07:52 PM
  4. New Albany Fire Department Hiring Process
    By potentialff in forum Indiana
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 01:15 PM
  5. Austin Fire Department Hiring Process Canned!
    By myessem in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 04:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register