Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 227
  1. #41
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    69

    Cool Threadjacked

    Its too bad this thread started out as an extremely useful source of information, and it has been moved into a diatribe to boost ego..oh well too bad.
    Good luck to all who apply.


  2. #42
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    During the last test, they broke the written into an AM and PM session. Don't know if they would let you switch between the two due to coming in from out of town. My advice would be to contact the recruitment officer at RFD headquarters. Don't let the old retired guy scare you off...

  3. #43
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichmondFire View Post
    During the last test, they broke the written into an AM and PM session. Don't know if they would let you switch between the two due to coming in from out of town. My advice would be to contact the recruitment officer at RFD headquarters. Don't let the old retired guy scare you off...
    Thanks for all your feedback. It has been very helpful. Just to confirm with you, business casual is acceptable for the 26th.

  4. #44
    Forum Member yjbrody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichmondFire View Post
    During the last test, they broke the written into an AM and PM session. Don't know if they would let you switch between the two due to coming in from out of town. My advice would be to contact the recruitment officer at RFD headquarters. Don't let the old retired guy scare you off...
    Yeah, as it sits right now it seems like the whole process is pretty divided up into specific chunks that out of towners would have to fly/drive in for separately. Some other depts that I have tested with scheduled the physical and written on the same day to accomodate those from out of state. Doesn't seem to be the case with you guys though. I think I'm looking at a grand in just airline fees alone. Seems like an awesome dept though. Wish I could.

    Best of luck with your hiring process though and thx for the feedback on the session times.

  5. #45
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody64 View Post
    Yeah, as it sits right now it seems like the whole process is pretty divided up into specific chunks that out of towners would have to fly/drive in for separately. Some other depts that I have tested with scheduled the physical and written on the same day to accomodate those from out of state. Doesn't seem to be the case with you guys though. I think I'm looking at a grand in just airline fees alone. Seems like an awesome dept though. Wish I could.

    Best of luck with your hiring process though and thx for the feedback on the session times.
    A grand?? Dude, fly to DC and rent a car. If you looked hard enough and explored different airports to fly into I'm sure it wouldn't be that expensive. I can fly DC to San Diego for under 400 round trip.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

  6. #46
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Business casual is fine imho. One option for out of towners looking to save a trip is to take the CPAT somewhere local to you. Richmond will accept a valid CPAT card in lieu of taking the "RPAT".

  7. #47
    Forum Member Jonnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,256

    Exclamation

    Just a few things fellows and I'll sit back and you all can have at it.

    Too many outsiders in here stirring which isn't necessary. I have been in the fire service for a long time and know when someone is trying to stir the pot.

    There are some good questions that have come forth. For the most part the correct answers have been given. Some of you refuse to accept the answers by those who have walked the walk and know what they are saying.

    Fire departments being what they are somewhat different when it comes down to certain things. I know from what others have said that Richmond is one of the best in the nation and do a tremendous job at what they do.
    If you think I am a BSíer, I am not. Take a peek at my profile. I have earned everything I have and there is more to me than what you see there.



    There arenít many large urban departments that do the written and physical testing on the same day.

    Most do the written and then IF you pass that you are invited to take the physical test.

    I think that the RPAT has to be a watered down version of the CPAT so itís like a cake walk.

    I know the old captain has told you guys a lot of information, but having known of him by association in the State of Virginia, I am not with Richmond, he is truthful and tells it like it is. He isnít trying to discourage any one; in fact I know where he is coming from as he was once head of their training school!

    As far as the guy from Colorado, I checked Southwest Airline, www.southwest.com from Denver to Norfolk, VA and WOW you can get a flight for around $120.00 round trip. Rent a car at Norfolk International and drive to Richmond, 80 miles, get a motel near where the testing will be, get a good night sleep, take the written test. Look around Richmond to see if you will like the area. Drive back to Norfolk; turn the car in, board the flight back to Denver. I would expect that you may spend less than $500.00 for everything.

    Good luck to all who has applied for the chance to get hired. They are an aggressive department as well as a proud one.

  8. #48
    Forum Member yjbrody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    699

    Default Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    As far as the guy from Colorado, I checked Southwest Airline, www.southwest.com from Denver to Norfolk, VA and WOW you can get a flight for around $120.00 round trip. Rent a car at Norfolk International and drive to Richmond, 80 miles, get a motel near where the testing will be, get a good night sleep, take the written test. Look around Richmond to see if you will like the area. Drive back to Norfolk; turn the car in, board the flight back to Denver. I would expect that you may spend less than $500.00 for everything.
    That's some good advice. My estimation had me making several trips there for written, then oral, then physical, etc. Thanks Jonnee for taking the time to look into and post it.

    Also, I had forgotten that if you have your CPAT already, that will count. Thx RichmondFire for pointing that out. I just took mine in May, so that will save me a trip too.

    Might be able to make this happen after all.

    Thanks for posts all. I'd be an honor to work for such a fine dept.

  9. #49
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wheeling, WV, United States
    Posts
    5

    Default medical exam

    I'm hoping someone in the know can help me out with this question. I had back surgery 5 years ago. (partial diskectomy L3-4) I am an athlete and in good shape but I'm wondering, will this automatically disqualify me from Richmond or any other departments hiring process?

  10. #50
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    162

    Default

    does anybody know how many points are awarded to veterans

  11. #51
    Forum Member Jonnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,256

    Exclamation

    Hey just for heck of it, I did a search on the City HR web page and did a query.

    See below.


    http://www.richmondgov.com/departmen...rules/3_10.pdf

    3.10 Veteran's Preference - Any person who has served in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard of the Unites States for more than 180 consecutive active duty days and has been honorably discharged there from, shall be entitled to have added to his or her evaluation for original appointment in the classified service, ten points on a scale of one hundred if he is eligible for disability compensation or pension from the United States through the Veterans' Administration; or five points on a scale of one
    hundred if he is not so eligible, provided that he is otherwise qualified and attains the minimum score required to pass such evaluation without added points. Preference is awarded only at the time of initial employment with the City and is not available for reinstatement, transfer or promotional opportunities.


    Of course a copy of your DD214 MUST be submitted as evidence. They dont' take your word for it.

  12. #52
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    162

    Default

    I am not a veteran but I was trying to get all the info on the testing process and what thye give prefrence for and that was the one thing everytime I talked to somebody at hr they said they werent quite sure the answer to.

    Thanks

  13. #53
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JScher24 View Post
    I'm hoping someone in the know can help me out with this question. I had back surgery 5 years ago. (partial diskectomy L3-4) I am an athlete and in good shape but I'm wondering, will this automatically disqualify me from Richmond or any other departments hiring process?
    Does it hinder yo in performing your ADL's?

    Unless you fail the physical or you're unable to perform ad/orcomplete any part of the RPAT in the alocated time period, then no.... at least not with the RFD.

    I just want to add that I haven't been with the RFD long but it is a tremendous department to work for.... in EVEY area!

    One aspect that stands out head-n-shoulders: the brother/sisterhood is like no other I've witnessed anywhere. You truly will be joining a VERY close-knit family if you'e fortunate enough to successfully graduate.

    Best wishes to those who are trying to get in....not only is it the best job in the world, but, IMHO it's the best department....period!

    It's a long process but, please, don't give up....the end result will be so worth it.

  14. #54
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Does anybody know when the written test will be

  15. #55
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arowett View Post
    Does anybody know when the written test will be
    Nothing is written in stone as yet, I believe, but the word is sometime mid/late October so the months of November & December will be spent sorting out the interview process which in turn they narrow the field down to the anticipated 16-20 they plan on hiring for a late January/early February 2010 academy.

  16. #56
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Thank you. Who conducts the interviews the fire department or the human rescources department?

  17. #57
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arowett View Post
    Thank you. Who conducts the interviews the fire department or the human rescources department?
    They may use a different format this year - I've heard one or two officers mention this - but here's how the last few recruitment processes went...

    The fire dept. conducts the interviews.

    There could be anywhere from 6-10 firefighters [Lt's, Capt's and BC and Deputy Chiefs inclusive] seated in a room behind desks. You're placed in front and center of them.

    Usually, the BC or Deputy Chief will ask questions and all others will be taking notes.....and you can feel their eyes checking out your EVERY move and EVERY answer. The BC or DC may pose a question or two to the panel members ner the interview's conclusion.

    Make sure you answer the question [precisely] focusing at the person who asked you the question...no-one else!

    At the interview's conclusion, be certain to thank everyone for their time, shake everyone's hand upon leaving and remember their names as you individually shake their hands and thank them....remember their names!!!

    Be yourself during the interview process. These people are brilliant at what they do and can see BS from a mile away.

    Best regards.

  18. #58
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    44

    Default

    I am a certified FF/EMT in Florida and am starting to look around the country for positions to apply to. Does Richmond hire people as FFI or FFII, if they're certified in another state as such, or do they hire everyone as a Fire Recruit and put them through the academy as if they have no experience/training?

    In Florida most depts won't hire you unless you're already certified as a FF/EMT or FF/Medic. It's quite different finding so many departments that are willing to hire people and put them through their academy.

  19. #59
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    162

    Default

    How many interviews are there? There is the structures panel interview before the hiring list is established and then there is the hiring panel. Is the hiring panel another panel interview?

    And also had anybody heard what the written exam will consist of?
    Last edited by arowett; 08-24-2009 at 04:54 PM.

  20. #60
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trained View Post
    I am a certified FF/EMT in Florida and am starting to look around the country for positions to apply to. Does Richmond hire people as FFI or FFII, if they're certified in another state as such, or do they hire everyone as a Fire Recruit and put them through the academy as if they have no experience/training?

    In Florida most depts won't hire you unless you're already certified as a FF/EMT or FF/Medic. It's quite different finding so many departments that are willing to hire people and put them through their academy.
    Everybody ges through the academy as if they have no experience/training at all.

    There's been firefighters and officers with 10-plus years of experience [some more] who have joined the RFD and all have gone through as Fire Recruits.

    Quote Originally Posted by arowett View Post
    How many interviews are there? There is the structures panel interview before the hiring list is established and then there is the hiring panel. Is the hiring panel another panel interview?

    And also had anybody heard what the written exam will consist of?
    The hiring panel interview is the only one I'm aware of. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "structures panel interview." Maybe someone else can chime in.

    Some may be interviewed by the panel a couple of times before they're hired. Some just one time. I've heard that three times is also possible. RFD is very thorough in there hiring process and try to pick the creme of the crop...so to speak.

    Post # 28 addresses the second part of your question.

    Best wishes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Madison, WI Ė 2009 Hiring Process
    By SCSmith in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 05:33 PM
  2. Casper Fire Department Hiring 2009
    By Wyofirefight in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 12:30 AM
  3. WI 2009 hiring process at CVTC
    By Water-Hammer in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 07:52 PM
  4. New Albany Fire Department Hiring Process
    By potentialff in forum Indiana
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 01:15 PM
  5. Austin Fire Department Hiring Process Canned!
    By myessem in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 04:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts