Forum Member

Exclamation

Hey just for heck of it, I did a search on the City HR web page and did a query.

See below.

http://www.richmondgov.com/departmen...rules/3_10.pdf

3.10 Veteran's Preference - Any person who has served in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard of the Unites States for more than 180 consecutive active duty days and has been honorably discharged there from, shall be entitled to have added to his or her evaluation for original appointment in the classified service, ten points on a scale of one hundred if he is eligible for disability compensation or pension from the United States through the Veterans' Administration; or five points on a scale of one
    hundred if he is not so eligible, provided that he is otherwise qualified and attains the minimum score required to pass such evaluation without added points. Preference is awarded only at the time of initial employment with the City and is not available for reinstatement, transfer or promotional opportunities.

Of course a copy of your DD214 MUST be submitted as evidence. They dont' take your word for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not a veteran but I was trying to get all the info on the testing process and what thye give prefrence for and that was the one thing everytime I talked to somebody at hr they said they werent quite sure the answer to.

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JScher24 View Post
    I'm hoping someone in the know can help me out with this question. I had back surgery 5 years ago. (partial diskectomy L3-4) I am an athlete and in good shape but I'm wondering, will this automatically disqualify me from Richmond or any other departments hiring process?
    Does it hinder yo in performing your ADL's?

Unless you fail the physical or you're unable to perform ad/orcomplete any part of the RPAT in the alocated time period, then no.... at least not with the RFD.

I just want to add that I haven't been with the RFD long but it is a tremendous department to work for.... in EVEY area!

One aspect that stands out head-n-shoulders: the brother/sisterhood is like no other I've witnessed anywhere. You truly will be joining a VERY close-knit family if you'e fortunate enough to successfully graduate.

Best wishes to those who are trying to get in....not only is it the best job in the world, but, IMHO it's the best department....period!

It's a long process but, please, don't give up....the end result will be so worth it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anybody know when the written test will be

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arowett View Post
    Does anybody know when the written test will be
    Nothing is written in stone as yet, I believe, but the word is sometime mid/late October so the months of November & December will be spent sorting out the interview process which in turn they narrow the field down to the anticipated 16-20 they plan on hiring for a late January/early February 2010 academy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you. Who conducts the interviews the fire department or the human rescources department?

Forum Member

Thank you. Who conducts the interviews the fire department or the human rescources department?
    They may use a different format this year - I've heard one or two officers mention this - but here's how the last few recruitment processes went...

The fire dept. conducts the interviews.

There could be anywhere from 6-10 firefighters [Lt's, Capt's and BC and Deputy Chiefs inclusive] seated in a room behind desks. You're placed in front and center of them.

Usually, the BC or Deputy Chief will ask questions and all others will be taking notes.....and you can feel their eyes checking out your EVERY move and EVERY answer. The BC or DC may pose a question or two to the panel members ner the interview's conclusion.

Make sure you answer the question [precisely] focusing at the person who asked you the question...no-one else!

At the interview's conclusion, be certain to thank everyone for their time, shake everyone's hand upon leaving and remember their names as you individually shake their hands and thank them....remember their names!!!

Be yourself during the interview process. These people are brilliant at what they do and can see BS from a mile away.

Best regards.

Forum Member

I am a certified FF/EMT in Florida and am starting to look around the country for positions to apply to. Does Richmond hire people as FFI or FFII, if they're certified in another state as such, or do they hire everyone as a Fire Recruit and put them through the academy as if they have no experience/training?

In Florida most depts won't hire you unless you're already certified as a FF/EMT or FF/Medic. It's quite different finding so many departments that are willing to hire people and put them through their academy.

MembersZone Subscriber

How many interviews are there? There is the structures panel interview before the hiring list is established and then there is the hiring panel. Is the hiring panel another panel interview?

And also had anybody heard what the written exam will consist of?
    Last edited by arowett; 08-24-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trained View Post
    I am a certified FF/EMT in Florida and am starting to look around the country for positions to apply to. Does Richmond hire people as FFI or FFII, if they're certified in another state as such, or do they hire everyone as a Fire Recruit and put them through the academy as if they have no experience/training?

In Florida most depts won't hire you unless you're already certified as a FF/EMT or FF/Medic. It's quite different finding so many departments that are willing to hire people and put them through their academy.
    Everybody ges through the academy as if they have no experience/training at all.

There's been firefighters and officers with 10-plus years of experience [some more] who have joined the RFD and all have gone through as Fire Recruits.

How many interviews are there? There is the structures panel interview before the hiring list is established and then there is the hiring panel. Is the hiring panel another panel interview?

And also had anybody heard what the written exam will consist of?
    The hiring panel interview is the only one I'm aware of. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "structures panel interview." Maybe someone else can chime in.

Some may be interviewed by the panel a couple of times before they're hired. Some just one time. I've heard that three times is also possible. RFD is very thorough in there hiring process and try to pick the creme of the crop...so to speak.

Post # 28 addresses the second part of your question.

Best wishes.

Forum Member

Unless a major change has occured, there are 2 different interviews that take place during the process. The first is the ranking interview that comes after the written test. If for example 1000 take the test, they decide they will take the top 300 scores. All 300 are then given a ranking interview. This is usually a panel of 4 or 5 members of the department usually led by the recruitment officer. A score is assigned as a result of this interview which then determines your ranking on the list from 1 to 300 in this case. Next, when they want to hire a class, they usually give hiring interviews to twice the number of candidates as they need. So if they want to hire 20, numbers 1 to 40 will get a hiring interview. Again several department members sit in on this interview, possibly a chief, and at least one person from city human resources, however they are not actually conducting the interview. If you don't make the class, you can be offered another hiring interview the next time they put a class through. I think if you go through the hiring interview twice and don't get picked up you are dropped from the process however I don't know that for sure.

MembersZone Subscriber

In the job announcement it says that it is a lengthy pocess that starts with a written test, then a structured panel interview, then the hiring list is made, then a hiring panel.

Forum Member

That would make sense, I guess they are calling the ranking interview a "structured panel interview" now and the hiring interview a "hiring panel". Sounds like the same thing as the last several times.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are both interviews run by the fire department or is one run by human resources and one run by the fire department?

Forum Member

Are both interviews run by the fire department or is one run by human resources and one run by the fire department?
    You like to go around in circles, don't you?

What difference does it make who conducts the interviews?

Anyway....

The last two-to-three recruit classes were conducted by a panel of firefighters and/or Deputy Chiefs and/or Battalion Chiefs and or Captains/Lieutenant and/or one or two civilians from HR. There's word that a city employed Psychiatrist was on the panel of at least one previous interview.

Again, the Richmond Fire Dept. holds/runs/conducts [you name it] the interviews.

Forum Member

So has anyone heard anything more about possible dates for the test/process? I just hope they give a decent amount of notice, plane tickets can get pretty expensive the closer you get to the date.

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as i know the applications dont close til Sept. 13th. The testing stuff will come through your email you provided when applied and should be sometime in late october or early november. They want to have a class of 16-20 recruits in place by Febuary.

MembersZone Subscriber

Phase
    I just got an email about my test date, I'm in the afternoon session on Saturday September 26th.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got my e-mail and i'min the morning session....

Good thing's happening

Morning session for me too on the 26th....

Rob

Forum Member

morning session here....i'll probably go down the night before since we have to be there 7-7:30AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BEANER51 View Post
    Phase
    I just got an email about my test date, I'm in the afternoon session on Saturday September 26th.
    what does the 1st portion of the test entail exactly? test my abilities to work as a firefighter? does that mean it's one of those personality tests?
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Good thing's happening

The 30 minute test and the 100 question test are looking at areas such as reading comprehension, math skills and teamwork ,etc as per the reply back I received from Hallie Neville, Lt.

Rob

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Awsome guys, thanks for the info!

Good luck to everyone! (Better luck to me though!)

Forum Member

Grub....I tried sending you a PM but its turn off...try to send me a PM when you have a chance. Thank you!

Thread Information