Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Unless a major change has occured, there are 2 different interviews that take place during the process. The first is the ranking interview that comes after the written test. If for example 1000 take the test, they decide they will take the top 300 scores. All 300 are then given a ranking interview. This is usually a panel of 4 or 5 members of the department usually led by the recruitment officer. A score is assigned as a result of this interview which then determines your ranking on the list from 1 to 300 in this case. Next, when they want to hire a class, they usually give hiring interviews to twice the number of candidates as they need. So if they want to hire 20, numbers 1 to 40 will get a hiring interview. Again several department members sit in on this interview, possibly a chief, and at least one person from city human resources, however they are not actually conducting the interview. If you don't make the class, you can be offered another hiring interview the next time they put a class through. I think if you go through the hiring interview twice and don't get picked up you are dropped from the process however I don't know that for sure.

MembersZone Subscriber

In the job announcement it says that it is a lengthy pocess that starts with a written test, then a structured panel interview, then the hiring list is made, then a hiring panel.

Forum Member

That would make sense, I guess they are calling the ranking interview a "structured panel interview" now and the hiring interview a "hiring panel". Sounds like the same thing as the last several times.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are both interviews run by the fire department or is one run by human resources and one run by the fire department?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arowett View Post
    Are both interviews run by the fire department or is one run by human resources and one run by the fire department?
    You like to go around in circles, don't you?

What difference does it make who conducts the interviews?

Anyway....

The last two-to-three recruit classes were conducted by a panel of firefighters and/or Deputy Chiefs and/or Battalion Chiefs and or Captains/Lieutenant and/or one or two civilians from HR. There's word that a city employed Psychiatrist was on the panel of at least one previous interview.

Again, the Richmond Fire Dept. holds/runs/conducts [you name it] the interviews.

Forum Member

So has anyone heard anything more about possible dates for the test/process? I just hope they give a decent amount of notice, plane tickets can get pretty expensive the closer you get to the date.

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as i know the applications dont close til Sept. 13th. The testing stuff will come through your email you provided when applied and should be sometime in late october or early november. They want to have a class of 16-20 recruits in place by Febuary.

MembersZone Subscriber

Phase
    I just got an email about my test date, I'm in the afternoon session on Saturday September 26th.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got my e-mail and i'min the morning session....

Good thing's happening

Morning session for me too on the 26th....

Rob

Forum Member

morning session here....i'll probably go down the night before since we have to be there 7-7:30AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BEANER51 View Post
    Phase
    I just got an email about my test date, I'm in the afternoon session on Saturday September 26th.
    what does the 1st portion of the test entail exactly? test my abilities to work as a firefighter? does that mean it's one of those personality tests?
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Good thing's happening

The 30 minute test and the 100 question test are looking at areas such as reading comprehension, math skills and teamwork ,etc as per the reply back I received from Hallie Neville, Lt.

Rob

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Awsome guys, thanks for the info!

Good luck to everyone! (Better luck to me though!)

Forum Member

Grub....I tried sending you a PM but its turn off...try to send me a PM when you have a chance. Thank you!

MembersZone Subscriber

has anybody heard how many people have applied so far?

Forum Member

Default you dont want to know

Quote Originally Posted by arowett View Post
    has anybody heard how many people have applied so far?
    the local paper said that the dept had recieved almost 5 times the normal number of applications...they usually get 2,500-3,000!!! you do the math!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 4bugsdad View Post
    the local paper said that the dept had recieved almost 5 times the normal number of applications...they usually get 2,500-3,000!!! you do the math!
    It this what you are referring to?

Richmond fire Lt. Hallie Neville, a recruitment officer, expects the agency will receive more than 2,000 applications during its current two-month recruitment period, which ends Sept. 13. She estimated that number to be higher than the total during each of the previous two recruitment periods, but she did not have those past totals.

Neville said the poor economy and higher unemployment rates probably explain the high interest. "One beautiful thing about the fire department is, once people get in, they stay in," she said. "It's a great career."
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    It this what you are referring to?

Richmond fire Lt. Hallie Neville, a recruitment officer, expects the agency will receive more than 2,000 applications during its current two-month recruitment period, which ends Sept. 13. She estimated that number to be higher than the total during each of the previous two recruitment periods, but she did not have those past totals.

Neville said the poor economy and higher unemployment rates probably explain the high interest. "One beautiful thing about the fire department is, once people get in, they stay in," she said. "It's a great career."
    It could be, I did not see the article personally. My father in law told me that he had seen in the times, but that seems like a lot more realistic number. I thought Richmond would typically get 2-3k apps?

I was supprised to see that they are giving test dates before the position even closes. I guess it's better to get a jump on the process.

Forum Member

Default Hiring process

I think everyone should apply for this test and give it 100% but those are tough odds man. 3000 applicants with probably less than 20 positions. I am just trying to be realistic. I took a test in Greenwich, Connecticut. They had 3 positions and over 500 applicants. Good luck to everyone.

Thread Information