MembersZone Subscriber

has anybody heard how many people have applied so far?

Forum Member

Default you dont want to know

Quote Originally Posted by arowett View Post
    has anybody heard how many people have applied so far?
    the local paper said that the dept had recieved almost 5 times the normal number of applications...they usually get 2,500-3,000!!! you do the math!

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 4bugsdad View Post
    the local paper said that the dept had recieved almost 5 times the normal number of applications...they usually get 2,500-3,000!!! you do the math!
    It this what you are referring to?

Richmond fire Lt. Hallie Neville, a recruitment officer, expects the agency will receive more than 2,000 applications during its current two-month recruitment period, which ends Sept. 13. She estimated that number to be higher than the total during each of the previous two recruitment periods, but she did not have those past totals.

Neville said the poor economy and higher unemployment rates probably explain the high interest. "One beautiful thing about the fire department is, once people get in, they stay in," she said. "It's a great career."
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    It this what you are referring to?

Richmond fire Lt. Hallie Neville, a recruitment officer, expects the agency will receive more than 2,000 applications during its current two-month recruitment period, which ends Sept. 13. She estimated that number to be higher than the total during each of the previous two recruitment periods, but she did not have those past totals.

Neville said the poor economy and higher unemployment rates probably explain the high interest. "One beautiful thing about the fire department is, once people get in, they stay in," she said. "It's a great career."
    It could be, I did not see the article personally. My father in law told me that he had seen in the times, but that seems like a lot more realistic number. I thought Richmond would typically get 2-3k apps?

I was supprised to see that they are giving test dates before the position even closes. I guess it's better to get a jump on the process.

Forum Member

Default Hiring process

I think everyone should apply for this test and give it 100% but those are tough odds man. 3000 applicants with probably less than 20 positions. I am just trying to be realistic. I took a test in Greenwich, Connecticut. They had 3 positions and over 500 applicants. Good luck to everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

The 30 minute test and the 100 question test are looking at areas such as reading comprehension, math skills and teamwork ,etc as per the reply back I received from Hallie Neville, Lt.

Does anyone know what the 30 min test is about ?

MembersZone Subscriber

"Part one is a 30-minute test to assess your general ability to work as a Firefighter. Part two is a 2 hour exam (100 questions) that tests your ability to understand written material and your language, mechanical and interpersonal skills".

MembersZone Subscriber

has the official number of applicants be released

Forum Member

maybe not even the official, any word on approximately how many people applied?

Forum Member

The HR's and or FD's normally don't say how many applied. They may say something like approxmately 3000 applications were received and some were dropped after the first review of certain items, such as age, drivers license, arrests.

Up in my area north of the city, we usually don't say how many has applied. Does it really matter?? You are there to get the best score on the written and other test you can. When I was taking est for promotions, I didn't care how many was taking the test. As far as I was concerned that day, I was the only one there.

Good luck all....

MembersZone Subscriber

has anybody taken the written exam for Richmond before? if so, what are the questions usually like?

MembersZone Subscriber

Arowett:
    The questions are questions, just like taking a test in high school. Most are common sense, they will test your ability to use reasoning and mechanical skills. If you actually applied you received a e-mail showing you the type of questions and example questions. If you didn't apply, then this should not apply to you. I would check your e-mail and look at the packet they gave you(through the e-mail). If you have more questions after that, like maybe, how tall are the interviewers? Do they sleep before lunch while on duty? Do probies do the house work? What the cooking schedule is (and does the driver cook?)? Which house makes the most runs, and why? Why are there more EMS runs than Fire? Do they use the Chief nozzle or smooth bore? Who lays off? What do their tones sound like? Does the RFD prefer Sutphen pumpers? What is the maximum height of the Seagrave aerial used in the RFD(if they even use one)? What are the demographics of RFD? Does the ladder enter before the engine and go unprotected? What are their mayday calls like?
    I would suggest you call them and ask, they will be able to give you a lot more valuable information then most of the people on here can. Anyone here who is RFD probably took the test a few years ago, and protocols change. Just from looking at your posts, your best bet would be call the lady who answers these and ask her. She will give you a much better answer then most of these guys will (no offense). Take some initiative, find out the answers, it will go a long way if you ever get on a department. Good luck to you, if you even applied.

MembersZone Subscriber

in the email it says language is part of the written test... that can be several of things including , verbal comprehension and english type questions.. anyone know specifically what the "language" part is going to be? thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

you said they want to fill 15 vacant positions right? well according to this with their budget they arent going to fill them

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/staffing.php

Forum Member

Default Get over yourself

Quote Originally Posted by XU2414 View Post
    Arowett:
    The questions are questions, just like taking a test in high school. Most are common sense, they will test your ability to use reasoning and mechanical skills. If you actually applied you received a e-mail showing you the type of questions and example questions. If you didn't apply, then this should not apply to you. I would check your e-mail and look at the packet they gave you(through the e-mail). If you have more questions after that, like maybe, how tall are the interviewers? Do they sleep before lunch while on duty? Do probies do the house work? What the cooking schedule is (and does the driver cook?)? Which house makes the most runs, and why? Why are there more EMS runs than Fire? Do they use the Chief nozzle or smooth bore? Who lays off? What do their tones sound like? Does the RFD prefer Sutphen pumpers? What is the maximum height of the Seagrave aerial used in the RFD(if they even use one)? What are the demographics of RFD? Does the ladder enter before the engine and go unprotected? What are their mayday calls like?
    I would suggest you call them and ask, they will be able to give you a lot more valuable information then most of the people on here can. Anyone here who is RFD probably took the test a few years ago, and protocols change. Just from looking at your posts, your best bet would be call the lady who answers these and ask her. She will give you a much better answer then most of these guys will (no offense). Take some initiative, find out the answers, it will go a long way if you ever get on a department. Good luck to you, if you even applied.
    I love it when dudes get so passionate about other posts and belittle people and try to come across as super experienced and knowledgeable. Listen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- This WHOLE forum is designed for people to ASK questions and gather info on hiring policies, testing procedures, timelines, etc. If you know all the answers and have all of the experience, get the F*^K off this forum!!! Guys like myself are dying for helpful information everyday because it is our dream to be firefighters. Calling HR offices is not always the best move. Be helpful or dont respond!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterm08 View Post
    you said they want to fill 15 vacant positions right? well according to this with their budget they arent going to fill them

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/staffing.php
    While there are currently issues with the overtime budget, the department will be hiring a class of 16 recruits to start Jan or Feb of 2010. This will help alleviate some of the overtime usage upon their graduation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by XU2414 View Post
    Arowett:

Actually I am already a career firefighter and I am considering relocating. Being that I have taken entrance exams before I know that there are different styles that ask different types of questions. And also I posted my question about the type of questions to expect before I recieved the email with the sample questions in it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JRH1980 View Post
    I love it when dudes get so passionate about other posts and belittle people and try to come across as super experienced and knowledgeable. Listen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- This WHOLE forum is designed for people to ASK questions and gather info on hiring policies, testing procedures, timelines, etc. If you know all the answers and have all of the experience, get the F*^K off this forum!!! Guys like myself are dying for helpful information everyday because it is our dream to be firefighters. Calling HR offices is not always the best move. Be helpful or dont respond!
    Calling human resources with questions, more so specific questions about a test is the best option, period. Message boards would be a good to place to find out what the department is like, say maybe from people who are in the department. But questions specific to the testing process can be answered and answered CORRECTLY from human resources or fire department recruitng personnel, they are ones giving the tests usually. I wasn't acting like a I was better then anyone, just giving the guy the best way to get answers and get ACCURATE answers. I don't have all the answers (never claimed to), but I called Richmond and got any answers I needed. The lady there is very nice and was extremely helpful to me. Thank you and have a great day.

MembersZone Subscriber

How will the brownouts of stations effect firefighters? Will it just be less overtime or will it change and lower the pau scale?

Default interview process question

What does the psychological review portion of the interview process involve?

I heard Richmond will make final hiring decision before year end (before 2010 budget cuts). Any truth to this?

Regarding the testing, what does the psychological review involve?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rookie123 View Post
    What does the psychological review portion of the interview process involve?

Look up psychological review on google.

What do you think it means??

Brown outs shuts down companies and that manpower is moved to house(s) that are short handed to make the company up to par. It has no effect on pay unless you aren't getting any over time then it would.

If you all need a concrete answer then there are two things that you can do.

One is to contact the department recruiter, you should have her e mail address. If not if you are smart enough you can find it by doing a search on the City of Richmond and look for the employee data base...

OR

You can contact the City's HR Department and seek an answer to your questions.

These are the only two where you will get an factural answer to you questions.

A lot of things have changed since I was on the job, but most are the same old same old bs.

BTW - Good luck to those who have or will put forth the best effort and your best foot forward. Entrance testing can be fun and easy, but there are those who freeze and screw their own selves.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you, that is what I was wondering if brownouts would just cut down overtime or if it would effect pay because I was not exactly sure how it worked

Forum Member

3043 is the official number at application closing time.

Forum Member

How will the brownouts of stations effect firefighters? Will it just be less overtime or will it change and lower the pau scale?
    All overtime is scrapped.
    Pay scale has not been altered [and will not].

Thread Information