+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 First ... 2345678 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default Union question

Quote Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
    All overtime is scrapped.
    Pay scale has not been altered [and will not].
    Like the rest of us in VA richmond is right to work. However some unions seem to have more pull in their jurisdictions than others. How much pull do you guys have with city council and the community. Also we have heard that our department has to look at deeper cuts for the upcoming budget year. Is there any talk of this there and what kind of impact might it make on the new recruits? (ie layoffs?)
    I hate to ask specific questions about vague topics but it is a difficult task to leave a department that is not having those issues(at least not at that level) for one that is, no matter how bad I would like to work for RFD!

MembersZone Subscriber

i know it doesnt say this in our study packets but do you think there is gonna be any memory recall on the written?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 4bugsdad View Post
    Like the rest of us in VA richmond is right to work. However some unions seem to have more pull in their jurisdictions than others. How much pull do you guys have with city council and the community. Also we have heard that our department has to look at deeper cuts for the upcoming budget year. Is there any talk of this there and what kind of impact might it make on the new recruits? (ie layoffs?)
    I hate to ask specific questions about vague topics but it is a difficult task to leave a department that is not having those issues(at least not at that level) for one that is, no matter how bad I would like to work for RFD!
    I am in the same situation even though I am in Alabama. I would love to work for RFD but I am worried that if I am given a chance to work for RFD that lay offs may occur and I will have left a department that isnt facing layoffs and where I have senority on another rookie class in case they did occur. Does anybody know if layoffs are possible in Richmond?

Forum Member

You never know in this economy what cites and counties are going to do. With the reduction of revenue coming from Washington to the States and from the States to the Cities and Counties, someone is going to suffer.

The bottom line is that the poor cities and counties are reducing budgets and may in fact have to curtail certain programs and cut back on agencies.

The Commonwealth of Virginia is no different, with the last two Governors being democrat they have ruined this Commonwealth. The monies aren’t coming down as it had been.

No city or county in Virginia is exempt from budgets cuts. It is a bitter pill take has to be swallowed.

Forum Member

Job cuts in the RFD are possible but [very] unlikely at present... and for some time.

There is appx. 40-50 retirements by around this time next year [drop-out plan] and those positons HAVE to be filled.... at least to a certain degree. Hence the February 2010 recruit class.... the first of probably two for next year and possibly 3-4 from this current list.

Add to that the fact that we ALREADY are running with a significantly short fleet of firefighters, well, you can work out the rest when I say job cuts are unlikely in the RFD all things considered.

The RFD, we [firefighters] are told, have put the axe through several other areas [overtime, new fleet of admin vehicles, station upgrades and/or remodelling, new apparatus and equipment, brown-outs, etc...] within the department in the hope of keeping current employees... and continuing to hire new ones.

We are all gratefull!

There are no absolutes in life, of course, but it makes no business, economical or profesional sense to hire 16 recruits over 20 weeks [at a cost of SEVERAL thousand dollars PER recruit by the time graduation day comes] and then cut thier positions shortly thereafter.

Anyhow...

Good luck to all who have put in to join this [brilliant] department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RichmondFire View Post
    Unless a major change has occured, there are 2 different interviews that take place during the process. The first is the ranking interview that comes after the written test. If for example 1000 take the test, they decide they will take the top 300 scores. All 300 are then given a ranking interview. This is usually a panel of 4 or 5 members of the department usually led by the recruitment officer. A score is assigned as a result of this interview which then determines your ranking on the list from 1 to 300 in this case. Next, when they want to hire a class, they usually give hiring interviews to twice the number of candidates as they need. So if they want to hire 20, numbers 1 to 40 will get a hiring interview. Again several department members sit in on this interview, possibly a chief, and at least one person from city human resources, however they are not actually conducting the interview. If you don't make the class, you can be offered another hiring interview the next time they put a class through. I think if you go through the hiring interview twice and don't get picked up you are dropped from the process however I don't know that for sure.

I want to make sure I understand this right. Your score on the written exam will determine if you are ranked high enough to recieve a ranking interview, and then the ranking interview will determine you list number and your score on the written exam no longer plays a role in your list number?

MembersZone Subscriber

Nevermind my last post it was explained before the test.

Good thing's happening

So, now that that's over, how does everyone feel that they did ? any trouble spots ? lol

Rob

MembersZone Subscriber

1 person out of every 190 that applied will get a job offer for this first class..... At least its better odds than winning the lottery.... LOL Gotta look at the positive side, right?

Good luck to everyone!!!

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by JCCFD41 View Post
    1 person out of every 190 that applied will get a job offer for this first class..... At least its better odds than winning the lottery.... LOL Gotta look at the positive side, right?

Good luck to everyone!!!
    Hahaha That is probably the best news I have heard today. You are right about the lottery, should I buy a Mega millions ticket now ? and see which one I win first ? lol Always look at the positive side. Did have some good convo with some people while standing on the line in the morning.

Rob

MembersZone Subscriber

It's going to be a long few weeks waiting for that email to come out to see how we did and if we get to move on...... But thankfully this process is going to move a lot quicker than the previous years....

Good thing's happening

Sooner we find out the results the better....Anyone have the afternoon session ? I so did the BC mention his approximate guess of the people there ? He did at the morning said about 1000.

Rob

MembersZone Subscriber

Few weeks isnt to bad. I remember waiting 6 months to hear on one test

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    Sooner we find out the results the better....Anyone have the afternoon session ? I so did the BC mention his approximate guess of the people there ? He did at the morning said about 1000.

Rob
    Total applicants was 3028, hey said like 20% normally dont come to the test for one reason or another.... So not sure how many acctualy tested...

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anybody else feel like they have no clue how they did because the entire test was personality questions and barely any reading comprehension and math?

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by arowett View Post
    Does anybody else feel like they have no clue how they did because the entire test was personality questions and barely any reading comprehension and math?
    What you didn't like the math ? LOL Yeah, i feel the same way just all you can do is hope your in the top 300 or 400 what ever they decide to interview.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea Im still trying to figure out what a lot of those disagree or agree questions had to do with the fire department lol

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by arowett View Post
    Yea Im still trying to figure out what a lot of those disagree or agree questions had to do with the fire department lol
    Personality traits if they feel that you possess enough good qualities to be a firefighter. If you noticed they asked several questions over and over again just maybe in a different way. And they asked questions that you may not have felt dealt with being a firefighter but it did.

Rob

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    Personality traits if they feel that you possess enough good qualities to be a firefighter. If you noticed they asked several questions over and over again just maybe in a different way. And they asked questions that you may not have felt dealt with being a firefighter but it did.

Rob
    Thing about personality tests are you could answer the same questions for two different departments and kill the test for one department and bomb it for another. It all just depends on what each department looks for in their firefighters. This test LITERALLY comes down to the personality/decisions section. The math and reading sections were a joke. I always feel like I do well on these kind of tests but I've come to realize you never know until you actually get the results.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

what if you missed the test due to an emergency? Doesnt mattet does it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBaFireman View Post
    what if you missed the test due to an emergency? Doesnt mattet does it?
    The only thing you can do is call HR and explain to them your situation and see what they say.

IMO I dont think they will make a exception to any one person's "emergency" though considering how many people did make it to the test.

But, like I said. Its worth a try to make a phone call to make sure.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone know when the test results are going to be released?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sfd95a View Post
    It has only been a week and a half since the test. They said before the test started, two to three weeks before we will see a email with the results.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sfd95a View Post
    Did you take the test?

Did you not hear anything that was said at the test site?

Did you not pay any attention?

You don't need to a Richmond Fireman! You wouldn't make it through the academy.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

OK I was wondering because I was hoping something might have changed. If you look where Im located you would understand. I was not trying to be impatient, just hoping that I might be able to purchase my next ticket if needed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 First ... 2345678 ... Last

Thread Information