+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default Richmond, VA Fire Department - 2009 Hiring Process

The Richmond, VA Fire Department is now accepting applications.
    http://agency.governmentjobs.com/richmond/default.cfm
    Follow the above link to apply online. Deadline to apply is 9/13/09. The entire application process is completed online and email correspondence will be used during the process.

Starting pay is $36,500 while in the academy, increases to approx $38,000 upon leaving the academy. Master firefighters pay tops at just over $80,000.

Richmond has a total of 23 companies running out of 20 houses. The city runs all quints with the exception of 3 rescue companies. Busiest company running about 4000 calls/year.

Good Luck!

firemanmatt08
    Firehouse.com Guest

anyone know how many they are hiring or just making a list?

Forum Member

www.richmondgov.com

Look under HR and then job openings.

Richmond, VA

Current Openings

Job Title: Fire Recruit
    Closing Date/Time: Sun. 09/13/09 11:59 PM Eastern Time
    Salary: $36,500.00 - $63,896.00 Annually

Job Type: Full-Time Regular

Print Job Information | Apply

Description Benefits Supplemental Questions

The purpose of the class is to train new employees in the basic tenets of fire suppression, emergency medical, and other emergency services while attending the City of Richmond’s Fire Training Academy over a 20-week period. Successful completion of the academy will automatically reclassify the employee as a Firefighter I. The class works according to set procedures under direct supervision.
    Supervision:
    • Exercised: Classification typically does not supervise.
    • Received: Incumbent reporting relationship is based on department.
    • Note: Other reporting relationships may apply

Example of Duties:
    The City of Richmond Virginia’s Department of Fire and Emergency Services seeks qualified individuals to join the organization as Professional Firefighters. Selected candidates will effectively respond to fire related and medical emergency situations.

Duties include responding to fires, alarms and explosions; fire suppression; managing fire apparatus and equipment; ventilating buildings; removing persons from danger; administering emergency medical services and performing fire prevention activities.

The hiring process is lengthy and involves several phases. Phase one is a general knowledge written test. Depending upon your score on the written test, a successful applicant will be contacted for a structured panel interview. Based on your score at this structured interview, an eligibility list is created listing the highest scoring applicant at the top and the lowest scoring at the bottom. The third phase takes this eligibility list and, based on the number of departmental vacancies, calls candidates in accordance with their order on the eligibility list to appear before a hiring panel. Those selected will be offered conditional employment contingent upon a background check, an extensive physical, a psychological review and a drug/alcohol screen. Candidates finally selected will attend a 20-week Fire Training Academy.

Please check your e-mail regularly, as correspondence in reference to this recruitment may be e-mailed to you.

Qualifications, Special Certifications and Licenses:
    Requires high school diploma or GED.

An equivalent combination of training and experience (as approved by the department) may be used to meet the minimum qualifications of the classification.

Valid driver’s license. No prior experience required

No Special Certification required.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-13-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemanmatt08 View Post
    anyone know how many they are hiring or just making a list?

You ask this question on every post you make. If you are interested apply for a job. It makes no difference how many a department is going to hire. They are giving a test and have opened the application period.

Apply, hope to be able to qualify to sit for the test, get the experience in taking different test and go from there.

In my humble opinion they will probably hire maybe 50 over the next 2 years, after the list is certified.
    Read the highlighted area very close and this gives you meat and potatoes of the notice.

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    You ask this question on every post you make. If you are interested apply for a job. It makes no difference how many a department is going to hire. They are giving a test and have opened the application period.

Apply, hope to be able to qualify to sit for the test, get the experience in taking different test and go from there.

In my humble opinion they will probably hire maybe 50 over the next 2 years, after the list is certified.
    Read the highlighted area very close and this gives you meat and potatoes of the notice.
    THANK YOU CAPT!!! I told him this in the Atlanta thread and then was told by another person that what he was doing is "OK" . I personally am tired of seeing it all the damn time in every single thread.

On another note, I applied on Sunday night/monday morning when I got the email that it was open. But I have read the process several times and where does the physical portion come like a cpat or something like that to make sure you are good enough to get into the academy and become a firefighter ?

Rob
    Last edited by eaglesrule1024; 07-13-2009 at 11:47 AM.

firemanmatt08
    Firehouse.com Guest

why dont you stop following my in threads and not worry about what i ask, quit trying to be a mother....

MembersZone Subscriber

Be glad someone takes the time to "be a mother". That's what the fire service is about. Don't be a tough guy.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before giving them your confidence.
    -General George Washington

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    THANK YOU CAPT!!! I told him this in the Atlanta thread and then was told by another person that what he was doing is "OK" . I personally am tired of seeing it all the damn time in every single thread.

On another note, I applied on Sunday night/monday morning when I got the email that it was open. But I have read the process several times and where does the physical portion come like a cpat or something like that to make sure you are good enough to get into the academy and become a firefighter ?

Rob
    I think they have cut that part out so to give some a better advantage! It is pretty watered down which is ashame.

*firemanmatt08 - stop calling yourself a fireman until you get 10 years on the job in a large urban fire department. Besides someone has to take care of the youngsters, you think us old guys are just going to turn this job over to every johnny come lately?? You sound like a whinner to me. Want to ask every question in the book and like a lawyer, always know the answer, only to sharpshoot the older guy or Officer!!

firemanmatt08
    Firehouse.com Guest

im sorry i may not be a "firefighter" in your standards but i am in mine, plus dont worry about me and stop trying to tell me what i can and cant do. im not you kid and i could really give a **** about you and about how cool you are. i will keep asking those questions and will never change from asking questions. even if you dont like it, you guys are like whining babies.... im not your child so stop trying to be a parent to me when all i want to do is ask a few questions. anything else you ladies wanna say to try and "cyber scare me" again?????? im all ears

Forum Member

Wink

im sorry i may not be a "firefighter" in your standards but i am in mine, plus dont worry about me and stop trying to tell me what i can and cant do. im not you kid and i could really give a **** about you and about how cool you are. i will keep asking those questions and will never change from asking questions. even if you dont like it, you guys are like whining babies.... im not your child so stop trying to be a parent to me when all i want to do is ask a few questions. anything else you ladies wanna say to try and "cyber scare me" again?????? im all ears

Hey Pal,

Its no sweat off mine, but some of these guys are trying to be nice to you and give good advice. Listen to the older members and learn something.

If you are interesed in applying for a major department, fill out the paperwork and send it in. If they call you to take the written test go for it. If by chance you pass that written part, high enough to go forward, step up to the plate with your best foot forward.

Stop acting as you seem to be, to some of these guys. Your last post shows that you may not be as mature as you think that you are.

Some of the things you say, frankly scares me, thinking that you may be on a hose line with brave firefighters behind you with their lives in your hands.

You would be real popular in a larger city fire house.

firemanmatt08
    Firehouse.com Guest

fine i give up guys im just on here to ask questions and if you dont know the answer to it please dont respond, you arent the manager of this web site and stop trying to tell me what i can and cant ask, i realize "some" of you are trying to help so how about everyone just drop it and stop acting like a little drama queen. again all i am doing on here is asking questions about job not be mr. perfect firefighter like some of these guys. its like a damn sorority house in here.

Forum Member

fine i give up guys im just on here to ask questions and if you dont know the answer to it please dont respond, you arent the manager of this web site and stop trying to tell me what i can and cant ask, i realize "some" of you are trying to help so how about everyone just drop it and stop acting like a little drama queen. again all i am doing on here is asking questions about job not be mr. perfect firefighter like some of these guys. its like a damn sorority house in here.
    Hey Pal,

I've on the job probably longer than your parents have been married.

I've seen guys like you come and go. I wish I had you in my Battalion!!

Do whatever and say whatever you want. I will never answer or give you advice any more.

Have a good life.

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Hey Pal,

I've on the job probably longer than your parents have been married.

I've seen guys like you come and go. I wish I had you in my Battalion!!

Do whatever and say whatever you want. I will never answer or give you advice any more.

Have a good life.
    Hey,

I agree with 100% of what you said to him. I tried to tell him that as well. But sometimes you cannot tell some people they will have to find out the hard way. I hope to join RFD's ranks one day if possible and be able to call you a fellow brother in Virginia.

Rob

Forum Member

what are the shifts like?

Does Richmond provide ambulance service as well? If so are probies stuck on the box for years?

Are there volunteers as well?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    what are the shifts like?
    24 hour shifts, in which you work one day of the week over 21 days, and the 21-day cycle always starts on a Tuesday. It goes like this:

W-O-W-O-W-O-W-O-O-O-W-O-W-O-O-W-O-O-O-O-O

It gives you a 3-day break every three weeks, followed by a 5-day break the following week. Several Virginia departments use this schedule.

Does Richmond provide ambulance service as well? If so are probies stuck on the box for years?
    No, ambulance service is provided third-party by the Richmond Ambulance Authority. No ambulances in fire stations. RFD does EMS first-response only. Quint 6 is an ALS quint company that provides ALS for hazmat, tech rescues and the like since the RAA folks can't make entry.

Are there volunteers as well?
    No, all career department for about 150 years.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

To answer firemanmatt08's question right now we have been told to expect a class of about 15 to start in February. More than that number will be retiring over the next year but its impossible to tell what or when they will do anything to fill the additional positions. Personally if I had to guess I would say at least 2 classes off this list, but, that is only a guess.

As BoxAlarm187 said, the all paid department has existed since October of 1858, with origins of the department dating back to 1782.

Good thing's happening

I think this will help a lot. I got this from virginiafireemsjobs.com

http://www.virginiafireemsjobs.com/2...ent-is-hiring/

Quote Originally Posted by virginiafireemsjobs.com
    Richmond Fire Department is hiring
    July 14, 2009 by admin
    Filed under Firefighter
    Leave a Comment
    The hiring process is starting again this weekend for the Richmond Fire Dept. The job posting will open officially on Sunday July 12, 2009. The application process is drastically different from previous hirings the Dept. has done. An applicant will have to go the City of Richmond website and fill out the application on-line. The process will require access to a computer and an active email account. All contact by the City of Richmond and the Dept. with the applicants will be done electronically- that means the acceptance of applications and notification of the written test, the score and interview time, the ranking list letter, etc. will all be done electronically. This will be time and cost efficient for the City of Richmond but will be a new experience for all the applicants.
    Because of this new City of Richmond process, there will be no applications placed in the firehouses. If anyone comes to the stations asking about the process, please direct them to the City of Richmond website. The steps are listed below and I hope to have hard copies of this sent out to each firehouse next week.
    Through the work of the Recruitment, Retention and Employee Development (RRED) workgroup and HR, there have been some changes to our Automatic Disqualifiers that everyone should be made aware. The new Automatic Disqualifiers are as follows:
    * Have no felony convictions for any offense within 60 months preceding the date of application;
    * Must successfully complete the events that comprise the Richmond Physical Agility Test (RPAT) within a 15 minute time period. Successful completion of the CPAT within one year of the date of hire can be substituted for completion of the RPAT.
    * Have a good driving record and no DUI convictions within 60 months preceding the date of application and possess a valid Virgin ia driver’s license at the time of hire;
    * Have not had a dishonorable discharge, undesirable discharge, or bad conduct discharge from any of the armed services of the United States or equivalent type of discharge from another country’s military services.
    These changes are reflected in the supplemental questions on the application. Our recruitment page on the website will soon be updated with the changes as well.
    This application process is slated to stay open through Sept. 13th. I am working on several recruitment events for the next two months; however if there is an upcoming event in your district that you think would be an ideal recruiting opportunity please let me know. I would be happy to pass along materials for distribution or come and help you at the event.
    Application Steps for the City of Richmond
    1) Go to www.richmondgov.com
    2) Click on “I Want To” on the Top Left Corner
    3) Select “Apply for a Job”
    4) Scroll down to the actual job listings and click on the “Fire Recruit” position
    5) The job listing and specifications will come up.
    6) Select “Apply” link with the posting on the right side of the screen.
    7) You will be asked to create an account with Government Jobs if you do not already have one.
    The application does not have to be completed in one sitting. The work done will be saved and you can logout and log back on at a later date to complete the application if needed. The process will take approximately 30-45 minutes if the applicant has all of his/her pertinent information available when s/he sits down to complete the ap plication. This will be important for those applicants who are using computers at libraries, Kinkos, etc.
    Please call me or email if you have questions about this process or need further information.
    Hallie Neville, Lt.
    EEO and Recruitment Officer
    Richmond Fire Department
    201 E Franklin St
    Richmond, Va 23220
    (804)646-6105
    Hallie.neville@richmondgov.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I saw on the Richmond Fire website that you must have a valid virginia drivers license, do you have to have a virginia license at time of application or upon employment because I currently live in Alabama? Also, does Richmond give residency points to people who live in Richmond or anything like that?

Forum Member

I would call the recruitment officer to be 100% sure, but as far as I know you don't need a virginia DL to apply, only need it once you start working. From what I remember you have something like 30 days to get it once you start the academy. There are usually several people from out of state in each academy class.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anybody know what the written exam consists of. I read it is a general knowledge exam, but I am trying to find out what will the exam be made up of. Is it like the FDNY exam where it has a memory section, does it have ability to read maps, a judgement and reasoning section, etc. Or is it just reading comprehension and math?

Forum Member

Thanks for the answers. Some more questions:

what's the call volume and fire volume like for the city?

are they an aggressive department?

is it hard to promote?

is there overtime available? and if so can rookies sign up, or is it hard for probies to get OT?

thanks.
    Last edited by somebody509; 07-26-2009 at 03:43 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anybody know how many points are given to veterans and also if prefrence points are awarded for anything else?

Forum Member

Average companies probably do 2000 or so runs per year. The slowest retirement home probably only does 700-800, while No. 5 is at about 4000 a year. Low percentage of EMS calls for a city department. Plenty of old low income neighborhoods to provide plenty of fire duty. Generally speaking the department is very aggressive. Promotions are very competitive like anywhere else. OT is offered to everyone off a list; work OT or turn down OT go to the bottom of the list. OT budget is tight right now like most places but OT does exist.

Forum Member

The department website has been updated with some additional information on recruitment:

http://www.richmondgov.com/departmen...px#recruitment

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone know what the difference is between the "RPAT" and the CPAT?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last

Thread Information