Forum Member

Default Minitor V Troubles

Has anyone else been having problems with Minitor V's

We've had to send probably 10 of ours back for a range of problems:

Pager will not charge while in charger... ( Have tested charger )
    Vibrating device quits working
    Etc Etc

Motorola was swapping these out with no issues but now their charging us $80 - $120 a piece depending on the problem.

We're actually considering buying Minitor IV's and III's again since we used those for years and never once had a problem with them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got 1st V in May. Batteries falling falling off the only problem reported. Just got them back after warranty repair.

Don't pay much for a III or IV. Worthless after 2012 when narrowband kicks in.

Back In Black

I know that I have to really push the pager into the charger and wait for the red led to light up solid.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Well its getting old sending these pagers in now at $80 or more a piece.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Don't pay much for a III or IV. Worthless after 2012 when narrowband kicks in.
    HaHa, Our county is too cheap to ever upgrade to narrowband even if it is required lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CusterFireman View Post
    HaHa, Our county is too cheap to ever upgrade to narrowband even if it is required lol

Better reactivate that old fire phone system. Obama will fix it all, don't worry.

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't have them yet, we still have minitor IV's.

I have heard from others who have them that they have problems with the belt clip breaking that it isn't as strong as before, the battery door not securing and opening up, and the vibrator inside burning out.

I personally don't like them because they are too damn thick and big, reminds me of the old minitor II bricks.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

However, the Minitor II's in my opinion had the best receivers in them then any other Minitor.

Forum Member

We bought 25 V's about a year ago. Most of them have been back to motorola for various reasons, at first they were just swapping ours out for new ones also, but now they are charging us 99 dollars for each one that goes in. Honestly I wish I could get my IV back it worked better.

Forum Member

I agree with you very much.

Its getting old that we're having to pay this fee when their messing up on their own with hardly any use to them at all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I personally don't like them because they are too damn thick and big, reminds me of the old minitor II bricks.
    You think the II's were bricks?!? You must be pretty young! Those of us that used to carry a I, now THAT was a brick. Same with the HT500 and MT1000 portables, but you couldn't kill any of those old Motos. The II was the best pager Moto ever made. The III/IV were complete junk, and the V isn't much better. For sheer reception performance, no synthesized programmable pager is going to beat a crystal controlled I or II.

By the way, narrowbanding doesn't affect VHF Low, so it's not an issue for a lot of depts to still carry a II...or a I, or a Plectron for that matter. Now there's an excellent receiver, the Plectron. I still have my P1 model that was manufactured in 1967 plugged in and humming along quite nicely, and it receives better than any other device around.

Banned

We have a bunch of them, not many problems. I have even dropped mine in a lake and found it after a week. Let it dry and it worked just fine. I get better reception with the V as well. Of course quality and the associated problems mean little if you don't have any measurements. In the quality world you first need to be able to measure that which you are trying to fix.

Forum Member

I loved my 2, hated getting rid of it but the dept wouldnt pay to repair them anymore. They replaced it with a 4 piece of crap. I rely on my cell phone text from our dispatch computer.

Forum Member

My department currently still uses the Minitor II. A little big and ugly, but they work great. We haven't ever upgraded from them mainly becuase we never have had a single problem with them. Although we are currently looking into funding to upgrade to the V do to the switch to narrowband.
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Forum Member

The Minitor III and IV have serious design flaws that result in tone decode failures. You should NOT be buying them ever despite how good of a deal you are getting. They are aboslute defective junk.

Has anyone bothered to check with your Motorola dealer about why you are getting charged for the repairs that were previously free? Is it because the warrenty is expired or is it a mistake? Someone might want to look into that.

The Minitor V is a far superious pager to the III and IV. It is a completely different design that doesn't fail every time to sit up out of your chair. In fact, my personal experience with 50+ of these things is that most of the reported failures are user-errors. The chargers are finicky about lining the pager up just right. The batteries have lock tabs that people don't lock. The old amplifier chargers used to fry batteries but that has since been resolved.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Well,

Yes, we was told the warranty has expired on these pagers but if we are having to send every one we've ordered back then might as well tell them to keep the things.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    The chargers are finicky about lining the pager up just right.
    That's awfully generous. I've had a dead pager because I thought I had lined it up "just right".

Seriously, no excuse for that. Poor design.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Yep, I agree

POS Pagers indeed!

BTW, We're on 154.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Chauffer6 View Post
    You think the II's were bricks?!? You must be pretty young! Those of us that used to carry a I, now THAT was a brick. Same with the HT500 and MT1000 portables, but you couldn't kill any of those old Motos.
    Sorry, my bad. I meant the original pagers that literally looked like a brick on your hip. It was crystal controlled. Had the large metal squelch bar across the top and the wheel for the volume control....the original Motorola Minitors. The Minitor II's were half the size of those things.

I know what you mean with the old HT500's, my original issued radio was a 4 channel HT500 that would slide into the vehicle unit and it became your mobile radio!! Even had the generation before that for low band with the 3 foot long rubber antennas!

So, yes, I know what you mean!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Dickey; 07-14-2009 at 08:28 PM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    That's awfully generous. I've had a dead pager because I thought I had lined it up "just right".

Seriously, no excuse for that. Poor design.
    I agree. Point being though, pagers get sent back because "it won't charge" when its because the thing wasn't seated properly.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Sorry, my bad. I meant the original pagers that literally looked like a brick on your hip. It was crystal controlled. Had the large metal squelch bar across the top and the wheel for the volume control....the original Motorola Minitors. The Minitor II's were half the size of those things.

I know what you mean with the old HT500's, my original issued radio was a 4 channel HT500 that would slide into the vehicle unit and it became your mobile radio!! Even had the generation before that for low band with the 3 foot long rubber antennas!

So, yes, I know what you mean!
    That's nothing, my dad used a "lunchbox" motorola.

http://gallery.batlabs.com/portables/pt400.jpg

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chauffer6 View Post
    You think the II's were bricks?!? You must be pretty young! Those of us that used to carry a I, now THAT was a brick. Same with the HT500 and MT1000 portables, but you couldn't kill any of those old Motos.
    I've got an ancient Minitor I and it still works.... I love that brick!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Nice pics of some old, but reliable stuff! They sure as hell don't make it like they used to. The new stuff has a ton of bells and whistles, which is great, except that all these "enhancements" seems to come at the expense of performance. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying we should live in past and issue Plectrons to everyone, I'm all for the latest and greatest. I just refuse to believe that you should have to sacrifice reception performance at the expense of a few more tone sets or different alert jingles. In the end, the most important thing is that you actually GET the alert in the first place, and the unit doesn't crap out on you every other week.

Thread Information