Thread: HazMat entry

Default HazMat entry

I was always taught that a FRO cannot enter the hot zone. I have looked up 29CFR1910.120. It only says to stay defensive. Is defensive a few feet from a spill/ Is it outside of the hot zone? Everything appears to be up for interpretation. It does not say that a FRO CANNOT enter the zone. Is there something else out there that can be more concrete and not up for interpretation? I know its a basic question, but dealing with an issue at work with this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bulldog, if you look at 29CFR1910.120(q)(6)(ii) and (iii) it lists what the expected functions of the level of training are.

FRO - "for the purpose of protecting nearby persons, property, or the environment from the effects of the release" and "Their function is to contain the release from a safe distance, keep it from spreading, and prevent exposures".

Technician - "for the purpose of stopping the release" and "they will approach the point of release in order to plug, patch or otherwise stop the release of a hazardous substance".

I agree the terms defensive vs. offensive can be gray. Just remember, never respond in a capacity that is past your training level or which you don't have the proper resources and equipment. Posessing the equipment does not make you trained and having the training does not mean you have the necessary tools.

Hope this helps. Be safe out there!

Thanks for the reply. I guess what Im asking is there any documentation that says a FRO CANNOT enter the hot zone, because 29CFR doesnt say that.

Forum Member

No one who is not a tech enters the hot zone on a hazmat team deployment here.

The only time I can think that a FRO entering the hot zone would be acceptable is if they were assigned to the first due apparatus, and had to make a quick grab rescue. Of course this would be done in full PPE with SCBA, and depending on the release, may not be able to be done at all.

Chlorine, for example, is a release where I would feel comfortable entering and exiting quickly in structural PPE, but would want Level A if I would be there for a prolonged amount of time.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    No one who is not a tech enters the hot zone on a hazmat team deployment here.

The only time I can think that a FRO entering the hot zone would be acceptable is if they were assigned to the first due apparatus, and had to make a quick grab rescue. Of course this would be done in full PPE with SCBA, and depending on the release, may not be able to be done at all.

Chlorine, for example, is a release where I would feel comfortable entering and exiting quickly in structural PPE, but would want Level A if I would be there for a prolonged amount of time.
    This is what I was taught years ago but Im trying to find documentation to support this to show my boss who says we can enter the hot zone. (non-rescue)

Thanks for the reply

Forum Member

For starters you dont have training to even don the required PPE to enter a hot zone in a non-rescue situation. I dont see how the discussion can go farther than that...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bulldog,

I think me and GT are pretty much telling you the same thing. Response is not always spelled out black and white. There is always room for an IC to make an educated decision based on situation. The terminology in the reg states "defensive". If need be, take a dictionary to your supervisor. That is what it comes down to.

If you are not trained nor have the resources, it only spells trouble for everybody involved. You, your team, the IC and the potential victims. Nothing good comes from this!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogff View Post
    This is what I was taught years ago but Im trying to find documentation to support this to show my boss who says we can enter the hot zone. (non-rescue)

Thanks for the reply
    In this situation, who is your "boss" exactly? The fire chief? Hazmat Chief? Team leader?

What level of a team do you operate? To me this honestly sounds like a team who doesnt have the capablilty to run entry teams trying to pick up the slack. And I mean no disrespect by that. It just makes for a potentialy dangerous and/or deadly situation.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Thread Information