MembersZone Subscriber

Default Scba Facepiece Fog Up

Can anyone tell me if the is a product or other idea to prevent facepiece fog up?

Forum Member

Don't wear the facepiece until you are supplying it with air.

Tried and true method that works every time.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTighe1981 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the is a product or other idea to prevent facepiece fog up?
    Yes, but I have no idea what it's called. Our vendor gave us a bunch of "wipes" to use. It seemed to work, but needed reapplied periodically.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post

Very true, but I wondered about this on one of my few fire calls I got to go on:

We were second due engine company, IC wanted us to stretch a secondary attack line and back up the initial attack line ASAP - the guys I was riding with (I'm not out of academy yet, so no interior for me) put their masks on before we even got to the fireground, so that when we arrived on scene all we had to do was grab our tools, pull the line+50' to the door, and then they went on air and entered the structure (following PAR procedures, of course).

The thing that sucks is I know their masks were pretty fogged by the time we got to the door, is this bad form or is this specifically why there is anti-fog products out there?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    The thing that sucks is I know their masks were pretty fogged by the time we got to the door, is this bad form or is this specifically why there is anti-fog products out there?
    This is always the question, put it on and be ready but fogged up, or wait and take a few seconds longer before going in. Follow your SOPs and officer direction.

Once on air, the masks unfog pretty quickly. If you are wearing it for a while you can take a few breaths from the bottle once in a while to keep control of the fog. I don't like to use the purge valve for this as many seem to do, I think it uses more air than you generally would with a couple breaths.

MembersZone Subscriber

if in route and told to be ready to go in appon arrival, i find a little bit of spit in the mask does the trick

MembersZone Subscriber

this is the way to do it appropriately.

What about the tripping hazards? if you tried to do your personal size-up what would you see? window lay outs, smoke conditions, structural issues?

the best way is NOT WEARING the mask till you need to.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

A light coating of no tears shampoo works. Buff is on and off. I use a product called Cat Crap that I got at a ski shop for goggles. Rain X works also.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KB1OEV View Post
    This is always the question, put it on and be ready but fogged up, or wait and take a few seconds longer before going in. Follow your SOPs and officer direction.
    No question here. The few extra seconds are "my time" so that I can have the best visibility of the fireground, my exits, the conditions, etc. We preach and teach mask up when needed not before. Obviously there's some debate on when "air is needed" but that will rage on forever, I can tell you it's not in the cab of the truck or far outside the building.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    A light coating of no tears shampoo works. Buff is on and off. I use a product called Cat Crap that I got at a ski shop for goggles. Rain X works also.
    This post should be pulled immediatly as it complains completely erroneous and potentially legally problematic information. I went into a local sporting goods store and asked for some "cat crap" and was quickly shown the door by security!

On a side note...I belong to the group of mask up at the point of entry/need mentality. The other group says it takes too long and you need to be ready as soon as your truck stops. I say it only takes me 7 seconds (on a slow day.) I get a better view and have better communications capability than the other group all at the expense of 7 seconds. And before anyone gives me the line of "7 seconds could mean life and death to a victim"...don't!

By the way, I'm not bragging, I practice.

Forum Member

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...isor-anti-fog/

It does exist, so he wasn't playing a practical joke.

Forum Member

I'm with "put it on at the door". You need to see what is going on out there. Plus a few seconds in the heat and most of the time the fog goes away. If your masking up in the truck then your doing it all wrong. You want to put the pack on, fine. You want to test the air and just make sure everything is OK, alright (you should have done this when you got to work). If you mask up you are basically saying " I have tunnel vision and will not be getting a full view of the situation." or "hey i might need to be saved because i didn't look to see where the windows and other means of egress are." As YFD said it takes 7 seconds to mask up. and if it takes longer then PRACTICE MORE!!!
    The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men. ~Henry David Thoreau

Forum Member

Amazing how well this works huh Bones?

It takes a few seconds to put the facepiece on and follow up with the hood and helmet...really...on a few seconds. One of the most foolish things taught today is getting off the rig with a facepiece on.....on so many levels this is totally...WRONG. Instant tunnel vision. Exactly what benefit does having it on getting off the rig anyway?

Save you money, use your brain and put it on when you need it. Not 3 miles away. 17 years...my fair share of fires....I can't recall ONE time when having it on before I got there was needed.....
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triper View Post
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...isor-anti-fog/

It does exist, so he wasn't playing a practical joke.
    Thanks, Triper. Sorry though that you missed my attempt at humor. I'll remove my tongue from my cheek and speak more clearly next time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Before you put anything on your mask, contact the manufacturer to make sure what they recommend. Several of these materials will damage the mask and will void the warrantee, if not cause failure. My bet is it won't matter who your SCBA is made by, they're going to tell you the only things to put on it is water, a mild soap solution, and whatever disinfecting solution they recommend. Windex, Rain-X, and anything else won't be on the list.

Bones has it right, don't put it on until you are ready to go on air. I've never understood the theory of putting it on in the truck. All you're doing is limiting your visibility. I can't count the guys I've seen come crashing out of a truck because they masked up en route. The 7-seconds you save are being wasted as you try to look through the mask to see where you're going. You're also missing everything that your eyes are going to tell you about the scene, smoke, structure, etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by YFDLt08 View Post
    Thanks, Triper. Sorry though that you missed my attempt at humor. I'll remove my tongue from my cheek and speak more clearly next time.
    I was never good at picking up sarcasm through text.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Sweet, lots of great responses. I had no idea this was an area of somewhat controversy, but I will be reviewing our SOPs and if we don't have to don in the truck then I won't.
    It does only take a few seconds, which is definetly worth it for the vision afforded by not wearing a mask during scene sizeup. Even though in the scenario we were second due, it's every firefighter's responsibility to size up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus;1079781[B
    ]... it's every firefighter's responsibility to size up.[/B]
    EXACTLY!!!

Forum Member

I know they make/sell stuff for scuba/diving masks, but I don't know if it would work for this application.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by YFDLt08 View Post
    It's OK, I got it. But the stuff works
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Exactly. As you mentioned check your SOP's and don't get into a ****ing contest with the officers if they tell you to do it that way. Even though it doesn't make sence.

Forum Member

im always skeptical of someone I see with a facepiece on in the truck. just a bad practice.

Do you really expect to get off the truck and just make grab a hose/tools and run in? If you really can't take the time to put a mask and hood on, you need practice or your officer needs to take a chill pill and get a hold of himself.

What if you are doing exterior tasks, now you have this stupid thing on your face that is limiting your vision. No thanks, put it on when you'll be going on air and you won't have a fogging problem.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    im always skeptical of someone I see with a facepiece on in the truck. just a bad practice.

Do you really expect to get off the truck and just make grab a hose/tools and run in? If you really can't take the time to put a mask and hood on, you need practice or your officer needs to take a chill pill and get a hold of himself.

What if you are doing exterior tasks, now you have this stupid thing on your face that is limiting your vision. No thanks, put it on when you'll be going on air and you won't have a fogging problem.
    Yea, like get off and hook up to the plug. That's fun masked up!

Put the mask on at the door when you need it.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

As others have stated dont mask up until you need to.

also next time you are at the haz-mat station, ask the tech guys for the fog wipes that are in the class a suits. they should have a ton of em lying around. they work great at preventing fog in you mask.

if you are not sure who the haz-mat tech guys are just cut the lights off the are the ones that glow.

Thread Information