MembersZone Subscriber

Default Need help with a training prop

I am trying to figure out the components to make a coupling that can connect to an SCBA cylinder and then to a 1 3/4" line. The purpose it to simulate a charged line without the water. I saw one used when a friend invited me to watch a trainig sceniro with the Cleveland Ohio FD. I have been racking my brain the last few weeks trying to figure it out. If there is anyone from Cleveland that knows what i am talking about or if anyone else may know of a way to do this, please, if you don't mind, share your findings with me.

Forum Member

Use a hose cap(plug). Drill & tap it for a air valve (like for tires). Use an air compressor to inflate the hose. Be cautious not to overinflate.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

If you don't feel comfortable making one, they are commercially available. They are called hose inflators. A lot of departments use them for water and ice rescue. Google fire hose inflator and afew will come up.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the quick reply's. I am going to try to build on if possible.

MembersZone Subscriber

works well but the weight of the hose is not realistic....

unless you run cafs
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

fire3fighter0,

Our department used the same set up as you describe but the lack of weight made the training unrealistic. We went to a local metal working shop that punched us out some disc from light weight metal that fit inside the threads on the nozzle. Drop in the disc, along with some gasket material, thread on the nozzle, charge the line with hydrant pressure and when the air is bled tighten the connection. Now you have a charged line that will not discharge water out of the nozzle during training but gives you the training value of a charged line.
    When you are done, open the drain at the panel and when the pressure is released, break the line, take out the disc then reload the line.

If you use a solid bore or break apart nozzle perhaps you could just cap the end using the cap from a booster line or 1 1/2" discharge depending upon the size of your nozzle.

Hope this helps,
    Last edited by FFWALT; 08-18-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Typo
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by FFWALT View Post
    fire3fighter0,

When you are done, open the drain at the panel and when the pressure is released, break the line, take out the disc then reload the line.

Make DAMN sure you take the disc out before putting the line back in service ....could be embarassing at the next fire...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Point taken. We've never had a problem with the disc being forgotten because you have to take the nozzle off to fully drain the line and the person that takes the nozzle off takes out the disc. The nozzle is given a visual inspection like any other nozzle before being reattached, the pump operator makes sure the disc is out because it's his truck and the trainer is usually looking for the disc as well.
    Not saying it couldn't happen, it just hasn't happened to us.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

I thought the hose being empty and light wasn't real enough, so we just charged the line and duct taped the nozzle shut - worked great. don't forget to un-duct tape the nozzle though.

Thread Information