MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Question Can Someone Explain This To Me, Please

Because I am very much failing to understand how an active and proactive police force can be the cause "for rising crime".

Cops get blame for rising crime

Canwest News Service July 16, 2009

In the battle over public perception of law and order, police are on the losing side, according to a new study. Researchers from Toronto's Ryerson University and the University of Toronto analyzed data from a 2004 Statistics Canada survey. They found that people who believed crime was high in their neighbourhood blamed police.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Forum Member

Yeah, because it has nothing at all to do with the scumbag criminal's choosing to commit the crime.

Police forces are reactive agencies, much as many want to think that they are "progressive" they simply respond to calls for service. It is not their fault.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Pretty simple explanation really: if you blame the police, you don't have to deal with the actual problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

In Canada, the chief culprit is our justice system. Without exaggeration, the creeps can be back out before the cops have finished the paperwork, particularly if they are "young offenders" i.e. under 18. Pure unadulterated bullsh*t

Protective Economist

The funny thing about law enforcement is many people want law enforcement against others; when it happens to them it is unfair. The white collar guy speeding on the highway thinks it is stupid that police are wasting their efforts with a $200 fine when there are crack dealers and murderers running around. The unemployed guy addicted to dope in the bad part of town thinks it is harassment that the police are so concentrated in the high crime area, wanting to know why they are not harassing the white collar guy in the nice neighborhood.

Everything is someone else's fault. Crime might as well be the police's fault.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

I never got a speeding ticket I didn't deserve...

MembersZone Subscriber

I never got a speeding ticket I didn't deserve...
    Same here, I have probably recieved more warnings that I should have (instead of getting the ticket).

Yeah, because it has nothing at all to do with the scumbag criminal's choosing to commit the crime.

Police forces are reactive agencies, much as many want to think that they are "progressive" they simply respond to calls for service. It is not their fault
    I do think that an increased police presence can have a pro-active effect on an area and cause lower crime. I think that you are less likely to do some shenanigans if you know that the cops are driving down the street every 10 minutes instead of every hour.

An increased police presence will also have a pro-active effect if you know that the cops will be quick to respond. I would be more likely to rob someone if I know that it usually takes the cops 10 minutes to respond after someone calls 911, instead of 2-3 minutes.

Both scenarious assume that the problem with the original report is caused by not enough police being present in the neighbourhood. And if that is the case I think that the blame would be on the city that is not hiring enough cops. I'm pretty sure the police department is not randomly ignoring neighbourhoods, they are probably trying to do the best with what they got.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

MalahatTwo7

I explain it to you as simple as I can, People always blame us when something goes wrong. Crimes down, we are being overbearing or picking on someone. Crime goes up we are being lazy and are not doing our job. With the exceptions of a few times, Law enforcement is a thankless job. You bust your butt put the bad guy in jail, the courts cut him lose with a slap on the hand. In order for you to get time in prison, you'll have to blow up a buss load of nuns at least 3 times and have a crappy lawyer or catch a judge on a bad day to get any time in prison. So when you have a court system that does not truely punish you for your crime, there is no real reason to stop and go straight. But its hard for the general public to understand this. So those of us that are on the sharp in of the stick catch all the grief but we that heed the calling understand this and do the best that we can do to serve and protect no matter what. Hell it beats an office job

I thank you and the others for your understanding and support.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Simple.

If I have 10 dope dealers in the neighborhood, and the police are not proactive and do nothing, they make zero drug arrests. Only the people who live in the immediate area know what is going on. The dope dealers feel safe and the customers do not feel threatened. Kind of a peaceful status quo.

Then I start up a proactive street crimes unit that targets the neighborhood. I arrest all 10 drug dealers, which leads to a reported 1000% increase in drug distribution arrests. Dealers from outside the area move in to fill in the vacuum, causing fights, drive bys and the like. The customers are frequently either caught in the crossfire or are ripped when they come into the neighborhood. The neighbors are appalled at the violence and just wish the police would go away.

See?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

removed by me.
    Last edited by superchef; 07-20-2009 at 10:52 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thanks Bull and George, and aint it just the way? Ya try and do good at your job, and ya get stomped on for doing it. Just further justification that "people" are "crowd stupid". In ones and twos they can be very intelligent but in a crowd....?????
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Simple.

If I have 10 dope dealers in the neighborhood, and the police are not proactive and do nothing, they make zero drug arrests. Only the people who live in the immediate area know what is going on. The dope dealers feel safe and the customers do not feel threatened. Kind of a peaceful status quo.

Then I start up a proactive street crimes unit that targets the neighborhood. I arrest all 10 drug dealers, which leads to a reported 1000% increase in drug distribution arrests. Dealers from outside the area move in to fill in the vacuum, causing fights, drive bys and the like. The customers are frequently either caught in the crossfire or are ripped when they come into the neighborhood. The neighbors are appalled at the violence and just wish the police would go away.

See?
    And God help the local citizen who takes it upon themselves to monitor the comings and goings from the residences of said dope dealers.
    The dopers don't want to be watched and will act against the person surveilling them and the police don't want it brought out in public that they are laying down on the job.
    We kinda have that situation on my block which really depresses me how the place I grew up has been run down.

Forum Member

I was thinking about this yesterday, and all I could think of was the classic example of Richmond, VA and Operation Exile.

The U.S. Attorney's office began prosecuting everyone.....EVERYONE..... that used a firearm in commision of a crime. Violent crime dropped like a rock, criminals and gang bangers no longer used firearms in the high numbers they did, murders dropped, and life improved..................

Then the typical group of ****ants came out of the woodwork and screamed that too many minorities were being arrested and the policy got cut because it was bad for race relations......So what happened? Yup, you guessed it boys and girls.....crime, violence, and gun usage in the commision of those crimes went right back up.

Who would have thunk it?
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information