Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By backflip

Thread: what to get??

Forum Member

Question what to get??

The county I'm in is in the early stages of forming a county dive team & I'm on a committe for the training & equipment that the team will use & do. I have two questions to ask:
    1) What equipment do think is the best out there? ie; tanks, regulators,suits etc. Also who has the best boats too.
    2) What other type of training would benefit the team or your team also have-rope recue, evidence tech, etc
    I am going to try for all the top end equipment and then work my way down from there. Very new to this so I hope I can get anyones opinions or views.
    Thanks & I'm sure I'll post again!!!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

From experience in my paid industrial job, the main thing I would suggest is to see if you can get the training first, then think about equipment. When we started getting into water rescue (no dive, just surface rescue), and some other new disciplines that we have branched into over the years, we often made the mistake of going out and buying a bunch of equipment at the same time we were getting the training. After some training and experience, we sometimes found that if we had waited until we had a little more knowledge about the subject, we would have made wiser choices regarding equipment.

Salesmen love departments that are just starting to get into a new field and don't know what they should buy...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Lifeguard Systems will send you a proposal for all of the training and recommended equipment. We use them for Ice Training, I had them send a diving proposal out last year. Excellent company

http://www.teamlgs.com

MembersZone Subscriber

The first question I would ask is what are teams near you using?
    For my team to set up one diver costs a little over $5,000.
    If you are in the begining stages start with SOG's that address national standards like OSHA (even though it doesn't apply to public safety diving) and the NFPA 1006 and 1670. A good sample sog is found on the IADRS website http://www.iadrs.org/index.php?pr=DOWNLOADS_AND_LINKS bottom of the page.
    Decide what type of patterns you'll be using, that will help you with a wireless or hardwire communication set up. OTS is the only company I would consider for comm equipment. If you wouldn't be willing to drink the water from every body of water you'll dive in then a vulcanized rubber drysuit should be used. Viking or Hunter.
    The DUI weight and trim system is another must in my opinion, once you use it you'll never go back to a traditional weight belt.
    BCD? OMS makes good tech ones, sport dive companies change designs so often it is hard to stay standerdized.
    regulators a good sealed one (no piston) would be fine, you need a redundant, 19 cu ft is a nice size. We stayed 100% separate and didn't choose a block for our full face masks. The interspiro Divator (AGA) is a public safety standard, but the Kirby morgan EXO is a better mask. I've heard about some regulator problems with the Guardian at depth so that is something to consider.
    I would start with the sop's and decide the scope of practice,then worry about equipment. Lots of places will let you try some stuff out. Work with your dive shops, we lucked out and have a very good shop that loves to work with public safety. DJ's SCUBA in Lyons, IL.
    Any other questions, just ask.
    With most things Dive equipment is very personal and EVERYONE has an opinion, try some stuff out in a pool or other similar setting. see what you like.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Thanks for the replys, I like the idea of getting familair with all of the equipment before buying anything we don't need. I think someone has the info from Lifeguard Systems already.

Other than just the diving training, is rope rescue included (rigging, etc)? Only one dept has a rope rescue team and I would think that knowing how to use rope better is something that might come in handy in any type of dive. I would like to try and get a high angle/rope rescue team together as well, and I thought that this would be a good start on any training with our dive team.

Hey SQ51,

If you want, hit me up at digger@blackwaterscuba.com. I do a ton of dive training, some gear sales too. But, I run a small county volunteer dive unit, and instruct for a larger city dive rescue unit too.

Love to help out.
    Dig

Forum Member

We formed a dive team a little over 12 years ago when I was chief.

Below are some thoughts of mine that are reality.

It is a nice thing to have. We are still online. We go on and off occasionally based on the training of our team.

However, in all our time in the water (approx 25-30 actual times into the water) in the 12 years, we have yet to make a rescue.

We have made recoveries and worked with the PD.

Do not be misguided by thoughts that you are going to be pulling victims from the water and saving the day.

By the time you put a diver in the water,
    after someone dials 911,
    your fd gets alerted,
    you get to the scene and your diver gets wet,
    much more time has elapsed than an individual is able to survive under water.

It becomes a recovery operation/crime scene and is handled by the PD.

Your location up north may increase the time a victim can survive based on the water temp.

Sorry to burst your bubble with my thoughts.

Oh, the cost, it's EXPENSIVE for the equipment.

he training is expensive and the rectification's and continued training.
    Biofish likes this.

Forum Member

Sq51 -

I was going to suggest calling Blackwater SCUBA and I see they already left a post. Steve and his crew have done some swift water training on behalf of my training company...very professional and experienced group.

I you want a reference for them my email is jmatthews@technicalrc.com

Jeff

www.technicalrc.com

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by sq51kmg365 View Post
    Thanks for the replys, I like the idea of getting familair with all of the equipment before buying anything we don't need. I think someone has the info from Lifeguard Systems already.

Other than just the diving training, is rope rescue included (rigging, etc)? Only one dept has a rope rescue team and I would think that knowing how to use rope better is something that might come in handy in any type of dive. I would like to try and get a high angle/rope rescue team together as well, and I thought that this would be a good start on any training with our dive team.
    For rope rescue try 5 Alarm fire in Delafield

http://www.5alarm.com/

I am told they bought out Ropes & Rescue, a company in Racine County. They had some top notch instructors, but I don't know if the instructors were part of the deal when sold to 5 Alarm.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Thread Information