Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Online training

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Question Online training

My department is researching some new ways of providing training and we figured that some sort of online training option would be beneficial. Right now we are looking into Jones and Bartlett's online program, which ties in with their textbooks. I have only been exposed to the IFSTA training manuals in the past, but the online component of J&B's system looks promising. Being an all-volunteer department, I think it would add some flexibility to our training program and make training more palatable.

So, I guess my question is this...Are any of you using the Jones and Bartlett online system (FireLearn, JB Course Manager, etc.), and if so, how do you like it? Pros and cons. Are any of you using the Jones and Bartlett training manuals, and if so what do you think of them?

Finally, is anyone using some other online system that they like? If so, what is it and what do you like about it? Thanks.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

I have used both the IFSAC and the Jones and Bartlett Manuals and coursework. I prefer the J&B because the skill evolutions more accurately depicted and include step by step instructions.

We are actually looking into the online academy ourselves.

What does your state fire academy use?

We talked to one of the instructors from LSU and he said that in the past the test was very specific to one curriculum, but that they have recently overhauled the test to make it more generic and not favor one book over the other.

When I got my certification we were taught out of the IFSTA manuals, but that was over 15 years ago. I like the style of the Jones and Bartlett books, and our instructor pointed out that they are intentionally written on an 8th grade comprehension level...hate to admit it, but that may be an important factor in our department.

But I'm really mostly impressed with the online companion material, which IFSTA does not offer. We're hoping that it will allow us to have guys study the didactic portion of the course material (hey, I learned a new word ) at home on their own time, and every couple of weeks we can go over the practical skills at the station. At least that's our plan.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

We currently particpate in the online training system. We started out with J&B and are now moving to IFSTA. It is pretty straight forward- read the chapter and take the test. You are supposed to actualy go out and do the drills that go with the chapter as well to receive full credit.

We made sure to include in the SOP that only a certain percentage of total training hours can come from the online system.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

we too are using the online training and the J&B training, i feel that it is very beneficial in a way but still hands on training is the way to go,

Quote Originally Posted by gadogs123 View Post
    we too are using the online training and the J&B training, i feel that it is very beneficial in a way but still hands on training is the way to go,

Yes, we're not trying to eliminate hands-on training, we're trying to eliminate sitting on your butt for hours upon hours listening to a boring lecture....you put on too many "classroom" classes and guys kind of quit showing up. They don't mind coming out if it's a good hands-on drill, usually. So we're hoping they can do most of the "classroom" stuff at home, on their own time, and every couple of weeks or so we'll have the hands-on "skills" portion of the training at the station. Still a lot of physical training to do, just less of the dull, dry classroom stuff.

We currently particpate in the online training system. We started out with J&B and are now moving to IFSTA.
    Does IFSTA have on-line companion material? If they do I haven't found it. J&B has a pretty cool on-line component that I've been evaluating....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thread Information