Forum Member

Default pump/odometer confussion need help!!!!

Hello to all, im still new in the fire service with three years. I am the driver of a 100' platform peirce aerial truck, with a 300 gallon tank and a waterous pump. I have been on this apperatus for about two weeks. During my morning inspection we have to put down how many miles it has on it, well long story short i wrote the miles downs and began inspection. After checking out the pump i went back to the cab to take it out of gear. (its the new electronic gov with pressure and rpm) and just so happen to look back down at the odometer and the mileage went up!!! and yes some people may think well your just looking at the wrong gauge thats engine hours or pump hours no no i promise its odometer. anyways what im getting to is WHY does the odometer go up while in pump gear?
    put is this way when i pulled the apperatus out the bay at 7am by 7:20 i had been 4.5 miles and had not been but about 100 feet thank for any reply

Forum Member

You have been in the fire service 3 years and still dont understand how a midship pump works ? I suggest you get a pump manual and then a creeper.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    You have been in the fire service 3 years and still dont understand how a midship pump works ? I suggest you get a pump manual and then a creeper.
    Yokel, you have been in the fire service for how long and don't understand that odometers don't register pump mileage on all trucks (especially nowadays with electronic transmissions???) Even on older, mechanically-driven odometers, it was possible to route the cable to not register mileage.

While I agree that gadog should know the intimacies of his particular set up, some trucks do register mileage and some do not. I suspect that with three years in the fire service, he is a relatively new driver.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Nevermind, a second read made me realize what he was talking about...
    Last edited by Catch22; 07-20-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Forum Member

^^ What he said ^^

The odometer and speedometer get their information from the transmission, as opposed to passenger automobiles which usually measure at the rear differential. As such, the speedometers and odometer are active while the truck is in pump, obviously because the transmission is in gear.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

The odometer and speedometer get their information from the transmission, as opposed to passenger automobiles which usually measure at the rear differential.
    Most older cars measure at the transmission, via flexable drive shaft to the speedometer/odometer. Newer cars use speed sensors of some type.

Forum Member

There was no way to split the cable to get two differing readings, most HD transmission cases were already molded with only one port for the speedometer. Nobody wanted to re-design the case molding or spend the bucks adding two speedos. Depending on the gear you pump in you will either add mileage the same or slower than normal. That's why most pumps come with an hour meter so you can measure the time used as opposed to the mileage. I think...
    IAFF

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yeah............

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    There was no way to split the cable to get two differing readings, most HD transmission cases were already molded with only one port for the speedometer. Nobody wanted to re-design the case molding or spend the bucks adding two speedos. Depending on the gear you pump in you will either add mileage the same or slower than normal. That's why most pumps come with an hour meter so you can measure the time used as opposed to the mileage. I think...

Looks like you've pretty well nailed it.......... On our older Macks, you could lean back in the seat and watch the Speedometer read 40 MPH steady while it was sitting still, pumping a booster Line on a small Fire......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

GaDogs: Use this fact about the speedometer / odometer operating in pump gear as a check to make sure you are in pump and the proper gear before exiting the cab. The next shift check you perform, place the pump in gear for your daily check and note the speed indicated at idle. You should find it somewhere around 10 to 15 mph. If you are still in "ROAD" the speed will be zero, so don't exit the cab until it is right. Our old Mack will show 3 mph if accidentally placed in 3rd instead of 5th, so it can also be a check to verify you are in the right gear.

Forum Member

yes i agree with you 100%, and i do understand how it works, the reason the question came upon in my head was becasue before i got moved to this engine company, the engine i was on did not do this. the miles stayed the same the only change was engine/pump hours. and like i said i am new on this apperatus and have not yet in my carreer came upon something like this.

Forum Member

FWD -- 31 years fire service ,you can believe it or not , after all this is the internet. (I could be a typing monkey)And yes I realize that some newer midships while still a split type , dont register on the odomoter, I wouldnt be surprised to some day see a GPS take the place of a speedo. Thats wasnt my point,
    Gagdog , the point I was trying to make and I didnt mean to come across as an @ss , was don't you have a senior guy to give you some hands on training on your rig ? Crawl under it and watch as the acuator shifts ,look at the way things operate and realize exactly what is going on when you flip that switch or pull that knob. It may just be me , but if I understand the inner workings of somethings -- (the "why" if you will ) it helps me in overcome problems if they arise and also to operate smoother when under pressure. That was point I was trying to make, I could go on all day about electronics and the lack of redundancy on new apparatus , but thats a whole other topic.

Forum Member

FWD -- 31 years fire service ,you can believe it or not , after all this is the internet. (I could be a typing monkey)And yes I realize that some newer midships while still a split type , dont register on the odomoter, I wouldnt be surprised to some day see a GPS take the place of a speedo. Thats wasnt my point,
    Gagdog , the point I was trying to make and I didnt mean to come across as an @ss , was don't you have a senior guy to give you some hands on training on your rig ? Crawl under it and watch as the acuator shifts ,look at the way things operate and realize exactly what is going on when you flip that switch or pull that knob. It may just be me , but if I understand the inner workings of somethings -- (the "why" if you will ) it helps me in overcome problems if they arise and also to operate smoother when under pressure. That was point I was trying to make, I could go on all day about electronics and the lack of redundancy on new apparatus , but thats a whole other topic.
    i understand where your coming from, and yes there again i agree (it helps me in overcome problems if they arise and also to operate smoother when under pressure) with this statement

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gadogs123 View Post
    yes i agree with you 100%, and i do understand how it works, the reason the question came upon in my head was becasue before i got moved to this engine company, the engine i was on did not do this. the miles stayed the same the only change was engine/pump hours. and like i said i am new on this apperatus and have not yet in my carreer came upon something like this.
    How long have you been spelling?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gadogs123 View Post
    How long have you been spelling and/or writing?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    How long have you been spelling and/or writing?
    Well im sorry were not all perfect as you, im a fireman. The thread was not to be a language arts class but information to help, thank you for the negative comment and to think your a LT.

Thread Information