Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recalls

Forum Member

Default Recalls

In reading my latest issue of "TMC Fleet Adviser" (Technology and Maintenance Council, American Trucking Associations) I see several recalls of interest to us. One is centered around Haldex air brake quick release valves. Meritor Wabco (NHTSA recall #09E-023), Arvin Meritor (09E-031), Oshkosh (09V152), and Spartan (09V184) all have essentially identical recalls out. They all say, "The rubber diaphragm inside the QRV may experience delamination resulting in significant levels of air pressure leakage past and/or through the diaphragm, or the development of a bubble in the diaphragm which may trap air pressure in the valve and not allow the service brakes to release. Malfunction of the air brake system could result in a vehicle crash."

Oshkosh's recall does not mention Pierce by name but does include airport rescue and firefighting vehicles. Spartan's recall gives chassis build dates of July 1 through December 16, 2008.

Spartan has another recall (NHTSA recall #09V185) out with respect to fire chassis built between August 2, 2007 and April 23, 2009 and equipped with Caterpillar C13 engines. It says, "The extension pipes attached to the aftertreatment regeneration device (ARD) may develop a hole and heat and flame may escape during regeneration of the diesel particulate filter. This condition could result in a fire."

In another thread Firemech1 mentioned a Pierce recall on steering angle sensors and I expanded on his post. I see now that Meritor Wabco, who supplied the part, has issued their own recall on them. Meritor's recall states that each vehicle manufacturer will provide a remedy plan and notification schedule.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got our Spartan notice on the Brake valve today. I'm just awaiting confirmation of the numbers by the duty crew to schedule the service.

When it comes to navigating the NHSTA or safercar.gov, I am at a loss. But I did get this, on the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS).

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...9E032-9534.pdf

And thanks Chief11, for getting the whole story on it.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Thread Information