Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CFI Test

MembersZone Subscriber

Default CFI Test

I am preparing to take the CFI test, I am studying 921, 1033, Essentials 4th edition, Kirk's, and a few other reference materials. Are there certain things that I should study or other materials? I have over 20 years in the fire service and have investigated a number of fires but in a small department we do not have many fires and most are accidental so we do not get to in depth. I have attended our states two fire investigation class. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firemanjh28 View Post
    I am preparing to take the CFI test, I am studying 921, 1033, Essentials 4th edition, Kirk's, and a few other reference materials. Are there certain things that I should study or other materials? I have over 20 years in the fire service and have investigated a number of fires but in a small department we do not have many fires and most are accidental so we do not get to in depth. I have attended our states two fire investigation class. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
    If you are talking about the IAAI CFI, I am on the committee that reviews applications.

The first question I have, based on your self-description, is do you have the education and experience credits? Do you have either two court testimonies or did you take the Expert Witness Testimony class?

If you do, or if you are going to meet those qualifications soon, here is the reference list:

NFPA 921, Guide for Fire and Explosion Investigation, 2008 Edition, entire booklet.

NFPA 1033, Professional Qualifications for Fire Investigator, 2009 Edition, entire booklet.

Brady, Kirk's Fire Investigation, 6th Edition, (Chapters 4, 7, 8, 10, 15, 16, and 17)

IFSTA, Essentials of Firefighting, 4th Edition, (Chapters 1, 7, 13, 14, 15, and 19)

NFPA, Fire Protection Handbook, 20th Edition, (2008) (Sections 3, Chapter 8)

IFSTA, Hazardous Materials for First Responders, 3rd Edition, (Chapters 2 and 3)

IFSTA, Fire Inspection and Code Enforcement, 6th Edition (Chapters 7 and 8)

Lee Books, Investigation of Motor Vehicle Fires, 4th Edition, (Chapter 2)

Delmar, Principles of Fire Behavior, James G. Quintiere (entire book)

Do not bog yourself down with anything other than the above. It will not help you.

The test is heavy on questions involving fire science, fire investigator safety, and fire investigation procedures. There are questions involving hazardous materials and wildland fires. It is not possible to tell you the exact distribution of the questions. Each test is randomly generated by computer from the test question bank.

The test questions are reviewed and approved by a PhD Professor at OK State. The exam is not designed to trick or trip up an investigator. It is designed to accurately guage the knowledge and skills required of a CFI. I can tell you that most people who take the exam, and who have properly prepared themselves, pass on the first time.

If you have questions that I can help you with about the app process or the program itself, let me know. My email is wendtcfi@optonline.net.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have already submitted my application and am waiting to hear back. I do not have all of those books at my disposal our department only has 921 and 1033 which I also have I have purchased the kirks and the delmar. I hope that with my experience and background as I was an auto mechanic for many years also that I will be able to pass. I can not afford to go out and buy these other books at this time.
    Thank you for the information it will be very helpful. I have been studying since the first of the year and did just attend the two week interview, interrogation, and court room testimony at the NFA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firemanjh28 View Post
    I have already submitted my application and am waiting to hear back. I do not have all of those books at my disposal our department only has 921 and 1033 which I also have I have purchased the kirks and the delmar. I hope that with my experience and background as I was an auto mechanic for many years also that I will be able to pass. I can not afford to go out and buy these other books at this time.
    Thank you for the information it will be very helpful. I have been studying since the first of the year and did just attend the two week interview, interrogation, and court room testimony at the NFA.
    You should be OK with 921, 1033, Kirks and Quintere. Your auto mechanics experience should put you ahead of alot of folks. Email me if you have any other questions or concerns. Best of luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

George (or anyone else that knows, for that matter), at one time I saw a link that showed the requirements to test for the IAAI CFI, but I can no longer find it. I'm not sure when, or for sure if, I'm going to shoot for that goal, but it'd be nice to know what I'm going to have to do to even qualify to apply.

Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

Many thanks!

I thought I still had a ways to go before I'd hit the eligibility points and that confirmed as much. I'll have to make sure to save the link somewhere that I won't lose it this time.

Thread Information