the 4-1-4

Default This is just what we do.

I don't know, but I think these two guys define what it is that we do in this job.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but this shows this job is more than just a job.

Nice job Rechlitz brothers, heal up soon!

Off-duty Milwaukee firefighters, police officer help rescue boy

A group of people including an off-duty police lieutenant and two off-duty firefighters rescued a 4-year-old boy from a burning SUV on Milwaukee's south side Sunday afternoon, saving the boy's life.

The boy suffered burns to at least 30% of his body and was in surgery Sunday night at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, according to police and fire officials. His condition was not available.

The boy's 32-year-old mother, who was driving, and his 2-year-old sister were able to quickly get out of the SUV and suffered minor injuries, police said. The one-vehicle crash was under investigation Sunday night, but alcohol was not believed to be a factor, police said.

Most of the rescue was filmed by a bystander. The video shows the 1992 Chevrolet Blazer on its left side near S. 22nd Place and W. Layton Ave., its back half engulfed in flames and black smoke while a number of people try to smash through the vehicle's windshield.

Two men eventually use tools to break through the windshield while others use fire extinguishers to try to douse the flames.

Two brothers - John and Joel Rechlitz, who are Milwaukee firefighters and were off duty - were notified of the fire by one of their wives, who lives near the scene and saw the crash, said Tiffany Wynn, a Fire Department spokeswoman.

The video shows one of the off-duty firefighters trying to reach the boy through the windshield while off-duty police Lt. Mark Wroblewski sprays a fire extinguisher into the vehicle over the man's shoulder.

At one point the man's entire upper body is inside the vehicle before he pulls the boy out of the SUV.

Others then spray the boy with water while the man holds him. The boy was inside the burning vehicle for at least three minutes, the video shows.

It was not clear Sunday night which off-duty firefighter pulled the boy from the vehicle.

Wroblewski, who lives near the scene of the crash, said he spotted dark smoke from his yard and jumped in his truck to investigate. The fire was raging when he arrived, so he grabbed two fire extinguishers from his truck and ran to help.

"The off-duty firefighters, the off-duty police officers, these citizens of the city, they did an outstanding job," Wroblewski said a short time after the crash. "They showed the true spirit of the city by coming together to save this child's life."

http://www.cbs58.com/index.php?aid=8418

http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-090...,6261602.story
    Last edited by jasper45; 07-20-2009 at 01:21 AM.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

BUT JASPER!!

No turn-outs?
    No hoseline?
    No SCBA?
    and most importantly...No green vests?

Seriously, great job by the Brothers and the police officer! Individuals who walk the walk and talk the talk doing what we do...even off duty.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    BUT JASPER!!

No turn-outs?
    No hoseline?
    No SCBA?
    and most importantly...No green vests?

Seriously, great job by the Brothers and the police officer! Individuals who walk the walk and talk the talk doing what we do...even off duty.

No sector command, no RIT, and a child who will live another day. What a concept...

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    No sector command, no RIT, and a child who will live another day. What a concept...
    A life saved, by people who acted and did what needed to be done.

Yep, what a concept. One I fear is being challenged daily by the Safety Sally's of the new wave of fire officers and firefighters.

Forum Member

At least they didn't use a red line.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

the 4-1-4

Nice job, now get well!

Forum Member

I believe (and hope) that there are just some situations in life that a good human (ff, cop, or just a citizen) will never turn their back on. Regardless of the danger or liability.

I think anytime a child is involved, adults (even some teens) will do what they have to in order to try and save that young one. My hat's off to these fine men.

On top of that, I'll bet none of them even wanted any credit. They probably just went about their day as best they could after the fact. WELL DONE BROTHERS!!!
    Pete

Back In Black

Great job! Excellent example of not only being good firefighters but being outstanding human beings!

I saw this on the Today show.

Speedy recovery to the children/mom and the two brothers.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Well done!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    I don't know, but I think these two guys define what it is that we do in this job.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but this shows this job is more than just a job.

Nice job Rechlitz brothers, heal up soon!

http://www.cbs58.com/index.php?aid=8418

http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-090...,6261602.story
    This brought tears to my eyes

Forum Member

Nice save guys. It's nice to see real fire fighters in action (and cop too). Glad these guys were there and not some of the loser clowns from this site.

Cheers Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

Forum Member

Outstanding. Best wishes to the injured brothers !
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    Outstanding. Best wishes to the injured brothers !
    Hey, that's what I was gonna say.

Great job guys!

Forum Member

Come on, now! Don't these guys know that their lives are far more valuable than any citizen? They need a stern talking-to, that's for sure...and some time off so they can study their SOG's, too.

Outstanding...these guys (and others) did what needed to be done just in time. But, hey; minutes and seconds don't count, do they GreatEducator?

Forum Member

Raw video of the entire incident. Unreal.
    http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local...=CLIP_ID_94646

Ok, I need to go get my fire extinguisher recharged from the last time I used it.
    Last edited by nmfire; 07-20-2009 at 07:14 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Outstanding!!

Tip'o the leather to these guys! Job well done! Thank god these fine people were in the right place at the right time to do what it takes to get the job done. It's apparent that their experience and training allowed them to react to this situation in an instinctive way; otherwise the outcome could have been more tragic.

Although they probably aren't expecting the "hero" status, they deserve it. Their superior officers should give them a medal of honor.

Forum Member

Outstanding...these guys (and others) did what needed to be done just in time. But, hey; minutes and seconds don't count, do they GreatEducator?

On very rare occasions they do. My issue is those that act like they count on a regular basis and justify high-speed driving and blowing traffic control devices with the very rare occasion where they make a difference. And that includes justifying not putting on all your PPE as well.

Great job. They did what the felt they had to do.

Fact is if I was driving through Bossier or Shreveport and this happened in front of me, it ain't my problem. It's the city's.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Fact is if I was driving through Bossier or Shreveport and this happened in front of me, it ain't my problem. It's the city's.
    And this is why you will always be the biggest $hitstain of an insult to our (and when I say "our" I mean myself and everyone else on here, not "our" as in you and I) profession as long as you continued to be employed by your little boys club down there. And this is why you certainly will never be a firefighter.

If you were rolling on the ground on fire in front of me, I wouldn't waste a **** on you. It's the City's problem.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Man you are a real piece of work, I am glad that I dont have guys like you on neighboring departments. If you care so little about people why even bother.

the 4-1-4

The fact here is it wasn't Joel or John's problem, either, except as a human being.
    My guess is they didn't want to live the rest of their lives having listened to a child burn to death right in front of their eyes, and not have done everything in their power to change that outcome.

The fact is it was their problem, as human beings.

How the hell can you make such an ignorant, condescending and self-serving remark? Why are you even in this field?

I just don't get it.

Back In Black

At least you are consistent.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

A four year old child burning alive in front of you isn't "your problem?"
    I've said it before and I'll say it again...you're a ****ing ******bag.

IACOJ BOD

If you were rolling on the ground on fire in front of me, I wouldn't waste a **** on you. It's the City's problem.
    Hey don't hold all that emotion inside, let it out and tell us how you feel.

Ps. That makes two of us that wouldn't.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

I'd give a thought to beating it out with a fence picket or something.

Forum Member

We (and by we I mean all of the rural fire districts) have had our run in's with the city departments about our "interference" in these types of situations.

Most of the districts strongly discourage their members from intervening because of this.

The city departments have made it more than clear that they don't want fire district personnel taking action in these cases.

Now, in a rural area, I would do what I could because it would actually be appreciated.

Thread Information