Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: GMC/Chevy 5500

Forum Member

Question GMC/Chevy 5500

I recently heard that the GMC/Chevy 5500 has been discontinued. Is that true??

Reliance

Quote Originally Posted by FFSKPII View Post
    I recently heard that the GMC/Chevy 5500 has been discontinued. Is that true??
    Yes, GM stopped this year

The annoucement was made on July 1, production on all medium duty trucks will continue on sold orders until 7/31.

It does not affect the Isuzu N-series cab forward trucks as they are all made by Isuzu regardless of how they are badged.

This was also on another forum earlier this month.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

GM has been here for the last week conducting hot weather vehicle testing (along with everybody else) and they have 5 or 6 medium duty trucks that look a lot like a 5500. I'll have to stop one of the engineers and see what's up from the engineer view point.

Forum Member

Default High Temp Test

My best guess would say 2010 Emmisions and Engine Testing. That sounds like a VERY good sign for the Fire Service as this is the Chassis of Choice for many applications.

I'll keep me fingers crossed.
    GB

Forum Member

Default I doubt it!

I doubt they would be doing 2010 engine testing unless it was the 1500 to 3500 series. Here is a reprint from the July issue of Light & Medium Truck magazine.

GM Ceases Medium-Duty Truck Production

By Light & Medium Truck

General Motors Corp. has announced that production of its medium-duty truck lines will cease by July 31 after several years of failing to find a buyer for its commercial trucks. The shutdown affects the Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC Topkick Class 5 through 7 model lines.

"After four years of working with multiple potential buyers, General Motors has decided to wind down its medium-duty truck operations," the automaker said in a statement released June 8.

GM last year reached a tentative deal to sell the division to Navistar Inc., but the agreement expired in August without a final sale being reached. Isuzu Commercial Truck of America, a long-time GM partner, also has been mentioned as a possible suitor.

“We were never able to get a suitable arrangement completed,” Jim Hopson, communication manager for Buick, Pontiac and GMC, told Light & Medium Truck. “We needed to go ahead and made a decision to wind down the operations.”

The announcement comes just over a week after GM Fleet and Commercial Operations General Manager Jim Campbell issued a statement stating that the company remained “fully committed” to the fleet and commercial business. Campbell said in the June 1 release that GM intends to, “continue with vehicle production as outlined in previously communicated schedules.”

Hopson said that other elements of the company’s Fleet & Commercial Operations, such as fleet vehicles and full-size cargo vans, will continue.

About 400 of a total 2,100 workers at GM’s Flint, MI plant are involved in medium-duty production, Reuters said.

The plant will continue to produce the full-size and heavy-duty Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra pickup trucks, Hopson said.

GM Chief Executive Officer Fritz Henderson told reporters at an event in Warren, MI that the medium-duty truck division had not been successful for years. He said workers would be deployed to other facilities or offered buyouts, Reuters reported.

GM medium-duty sales totaled about 20,000 last year, down from roughly 30,000 in 2007, Reuters said.

Last week, GM announced preliminary agreements to sell its Hummer brand to Chinese heavy equipment maker Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery and its Saturn brand to dealership group Penske Automotive Group.

Forum Member

Crap. That size chassis was exactly what my dept. was looking for, we just never go around to ordering one. The F550 holds our weight just not enough equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by 640SATFD View Post
    My best guess would say 2010 Emmisions and Engine Testing. That sounds like a VERY good sign for the Fire Service as this is the Chassis of Choice for many applications.

I'll keep me fingers crossed.
    Uncross your fingers. You will not see any more product after July 31.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Its a damn shame.
    Sure people are intimidated by the size but they handle better out turn and out manuver the 450 and 550.
    The F-450 and 550 just dont stack up to these trucks from GM and the F-650 is in a whole other class.

Reliance

Quote Originally Posted by k1500chevy97 View Post
    Its a damn shame.
    Sure people are intimidated by the size but they handle better out turn and out manuver the 450 and 550.
    The F-450 and 550 just dont stack up to these trucks from GM and the F-650 is in a whole other class.
    What class is that??

Tain't class.I'm a Ford fan but the 650's a tain't.Tain't a pickup and it tain't a truck. Underpowered and overframed. T,C.

Reliance

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Tain't class.I'm a Ford fan but the 650's a tain't.Tain't a pickup and it tain't a truck. Underpowered and overframed. T,C.
    A lot of departments up here are going F 750 and are not having problems.

650 to a 750 is like comparing night to day. Look at the option list for a 650,then look at the 750-800.More Engines more transmissions more everything.My comments are the 650 ONLY.And all I run is Fords(my fleet). T.C.

Reliance

650 to a 750 is like comparing night to day. Look at the option list for a 650,then look at the 750-800.More Engines more transmissions more everything.My comments are the 650 ONLY.And all I run is Fords(my fleet). T.C.
    How far are you from Bar Harbour or Portland? If I ever get a passport I might try the CAT to either place.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Reliance View Post
    How far are you from Bar Harbour or Portland? If I ever get a passport I might try the CAT to either place.
    I'm midway between the two & TC's an hour + 1/2 inland from me.
    Just watched the CAT go by last night. I'm told it's an impressive trip from your town to down here. I know when they go by here it throws a big rooster tail until it starts to slow down entering the channel into Portland.

Bar Harbor is 2 1/4 with decent traffic.Portland is 45 minutes with decent traffic. T.C.

Watch next week for a different Rooster tail.Boss's(Chiefs)new ride is due into Portland this weekend(new Fireboat),They'll be training all next week. T.C.

Reliance

Watch next week for a different Rooster tail.Boss's(Chiefs)new ride is due into Portland this weekend(new Fireboat),They'll be training all next week. T.C.
    It is a nice Canadian built boat.

Here is a link to the christening ceremony. http://www.novanewsnow.com/article-3...-Portland.html

THAT would be the one! T.C.

I know a couple of the guys from down here in the Harbor that are on the crew. They've been talking about nothing else,but the new boat & the trip up to fetch her home. Sounds kinda like a retirement home job to me. :-}

Thread Information