MembersZone Subscriber

Default MA Staffing Grant

This relates to $20 million in competitive grant money Mass. is making available to maintain staffing levels for at least a year, but could relate across this forum. Does anyone's dept collect 2nd apparatus average arrival time as a data point? I believe my dept's CAD system could collect the data with proper database scripting, but right now I have my sys administrator stumped how to retrieve the info. I believe we use 4D/Firepoint to manage our servers.

I ask because the grant application includes this section:
    "Average Response Time (in minutes) for Second Arriving Suppression Unit on Scene"

Thanks in advance to any techie's that can help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Saw the grant opportunity yesterday on the EOPS website. It will be interesting to see how many departments with lay offs, black outs, brown outs etc. get approval from the "powers at be" to pursue the grant. The other issue I see with the grant is "sustainablility". What are these departments going to do to fund these positions after the 1 year time frame is up. There are only 2 options: apply for SAFER or pursue an override vote (not likely to be approved by the taxpayers).

As for data; we keep track of all apparatus movements, but our system is police oriented (joint dispatch) making it impossible to extrapolate data such as average times. Alot of data I have to get is done by hand.

Good luck with the grant.

Forum Member

I also noticed that the grant wording condradicts itself from page 1 to page 2... typical politician thinking....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Firedawg, if you track all unit arrival times then it can be done since the data exists, but might need to pull it out in a custom query and then do some manual work on it. Like drop the times into a spreadsheet and then add an Excel calculation for the time difference between #1 and #2. Vendor should have some support for creating custom data dumps if they use a standard T-SQL database on the back end. If they use proprietary then it's either them or a lot of paperwork to run stuff on printouts.

Thread Information