Default Fire Helmet Color - Black Any Hotter?

We're looking for some help, and can't seem to find any information/formal studies on the topic.

Our Department (So.California) is considering switching to a Black New York style (traditional) fire helmet, and many of us our concerned that the black helmet will create an even bigger heat/temperature problem for our Firefighters, particularly in the summer months.

Does any one have any personal experience, links to studies, and/or recommendation on this topic? The temperatures in our area of So.California easily reach 100 + for 2-3 months of the year, and I view this transition as an unnecessary risk to the Firefighters, but maybe my worry is unfounded.

Thanks in advance, for any help you can provide!

Forum Member

The Cairns helmets have a thermal liner. I would assume this would make helmet color a moot point as there is a barrier between the shell and the head.

Check the link for head temps:

http://media.msanet.com/NA/USA/FireH...nsHotHeads.pdf

Banned

Nope. We went form some very nice lightweight Bullard helmets to the big ugly 1010. The only difference is the weight and the bulkiness of the stupid thing. I guess someone was more concerned with how they look than the function.

Forum Member

I thought my 1010 was light, especially after getting the N6A. I weighed mine and the 1010 is 59 oz. and the N6A is 79 oz.

But it looks good!

MembersZone Subscriber

Black helmets act like a heat sink and cause you to cook the brain. Next thing you know you'll want to be running into burning buildings! That's why you see white hats outside.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Black helmets act like a heat sink and cause you to cook the brain. Next thing you know you'll want to be running into burning buildings! That's why you see white hats outside.
    I thought they were white to preserve what little was left
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

don't think there is an appreciable difference. I wear black and my head never seems hot.

MembersZone Subscriber

Helmet color does not matter in terms of one color being hotter than the other. White helmet get just as hot black ones when you are inside a burning building. And when you come out of a burning house and take your helmet off the blue one will burn your fingers just as much as the red helmet will

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

If you think a 1010/1044 is heavy, put a Ben II on your head. You will be thankful to have the Cairns back.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Cool helmet color

Had a yellow cairns metro type as a probie, and was issued a black traditional Bullard after a year, and have a black phenix leather now(great helmet) that I bought myself. The only difference has been the weight,and even that isn't that noticeable.So the other guys are correct in stating that inside structure floor /ceiling temp is the same for everybody,regardless of helmet color. Love the white helmet comment ,very funny

Thread Information