Default in the military needing information

to anyone that can help me out. i am in the military serving in iraq. i get out of the military in march and i was considering working in a firehouse while going to college.
    1. is it even possible to consider working in a firehouse and obtaining a degree. if so what kind of rotations are you guys working.
    2. how often and how long is the fire academy.

thanks for any help.

Forum Member

i would suggest staying in military. job market sucks unemployment is above 10% in most areas.

hell i am contemplating volunteering for a combat tour again. at least it had a steady paycheck
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ristawes1 View Post
    to anyone that can help me out. i am in the military serving in iraq. i get out of the military in march and i was considering working in a firehouse while going to college.
    1. is it even possible to consider working in a firehouse and obtaining a degree. if so what kind of rotations are you guys working.
    2. how often and how long is the fire academy.

thanks for any help.
    It does depend upon where you are looking to go to college and what type of firehouse you are looking to go to, career or volly. Volly would be the easiest because you can still be a volunteer while going to school, however, you are not getting paid, or very little at best.

If looking to work in a career house, you would have to be hired by the dept first and the hiring process can take a loooong time. Career depts just don't hire people to work while going to school.

However, INTERNSHIPS you can work in a firehouse while going to school. These also can be quite competative to get into and do vary from place to place. One typically has to be already enrolled in a fire science program in order to qualify for an internship. Some do pay a small stipend, some are part of a degree program, so it can vary.

Here in WI we have 2 types of internships I know of. One through the fire science program entails a person going to a dept where they get assigned a shift and report to work on the regular shift days. If it is a school day, they go to the station after school.

A live in program is where you live and work at the station. These are typically with either a volly or combination dept. You have assigned duty days to work, but also have room and board so you don't have to pay for that on your own, while attending college. Such programs may also provide a stipend, mine did.

Fire academies can vary, there were vollies on the same dept I interned at that were attending UW Madison for something other than firefighting. The local tech held day classes, night classes and even a summer fire academy for state certifications. Such a fire academy is typically conducted through a tech school.

Those depts doing their own fire academy, again, you typically have to be hired as a FF.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Thread Information