Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default AFG & Dr. Harry Carter

I talked with Dr. Carter yesterday. He was on the road in Indiana giving lectures and attending forums to listen to firefighters and the fire service industry. He is one of the authors of the Fire Act and the AFG program. He said he sees a trend developing now concerning the funding of all fire departments. Especially the volunteer departments being targeted to lose their funding. He sees the AFG program being slashed for 2010 as just the begining if we do not act. He stressed that all departments contact their senators and house representatives NOW. Especially at this time otherwise the trend that has started is going to become out of control. He explained a little more in depth on the phone, but I got the impression he is willing to talk with about anyone who is threatened by these cuts in grants and funding and give them a little more in depth information. Frankly, he scared the crap out of me. Interesting facts have come to light from surprising political arenas.
    His latest article posted here called 'The missionary position' is what prompted me to contact him. Following my conversation with him and also Brian Vickers recommendations I intend to contact my elected officials this week. We need many of you to do the same.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been meaning to send a rather detailed letter (snail mail, so someone has to actually touch it) to my Representative and both Senators. If I can keep my days off for the rest of the week (damn I'm sick of OT), I'm going to do just that by Monday and send a copy to all my firefighters. Then try to encourage people in our community, who are benefitting from the equipment, to follow suit.

I'll probably address our county fire chiefs association in this regards at our meeting tomorrow night, as well.

If we won't fight for the funding, who will?

MembersZone Subscriber

I would not mind reading that article if I could find it. I tried to search for it on the home page but my search talents on FH never seem to work. Can you possibly point me in the direction? Thank you.

If we won't fight for the funding, who will?
    I would be happy to join the fight if I knew how.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by superchef View Post
    I would not mind reading that article if I could find it. I tried to search for it on the home page but my search talents on FH never seem to work. Can you possibly point me in the direction? Thank you.
    Try here.

I would be happy to join the fight if I knew how.
    Write your congresscritters and write them often. Hell, invite them down to see what it's done for your department and make sure the media's there for it (open house type thing).

We have one Representative that comes through once every couple of years to see what the grants have been doing for our county. He's always trailed by the media. We're going to have an open house as soon as we get settle into our new station, you can bet he and our two senators will be invited.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Write your congresscritters and write them often
    Thanks for the link. That has to be the funniest (and probably the most accurate) way I have ever heard anyone refer to congress).

I am actually a member of the general public so I could not use that approach. Having worked on AFG grants and station grants though, I know how desperate the need is. I'll do some research and figure out how to approach this. Maybe the fact that I am not in the fire service but have a fairly good understanding of what your challenges are will help (after all I did not put myself in student loan debt to get my degree in fire science so I could have a pretty piece of paper on the wall (at least I will have it in a few months when I am done).

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the link. That has to be the funniest (and probably the most accurate) way I have ever heard anyone refer to congress).

I am actually a member of the general public so I could not use that approach. Having worked on AFG grants and station grants though, I know how desperate the need is. I'll do some research and figure out how to approach this. Maybe the fact that I am not in the fire service but have a fairly good understanding of what your challenges are will help (after all I did not put myself in student loan debt to get my degree in fire science so I could have a pretty piece of paper on the wall (at least I will have it in a few months when I am done).
    Personally, I think as a member of the general public you'd have more clout. You're not a firefighter, so you're not a part of a special interest group. You just have an interest in making sure your public safety personnel are properly equipped and trained. That's what I'm going to push any citizen in our district and beyond that'll listen to me to do. But, that's just me.

Firefighter or not, your support is appreciated! And good luck with that degree! I'm working on getting back to school and finishing mine out.

Forum Member

Feeling like Paul Comb's cartoons about the fire service pressure's are getting too realistic.

Getting the "general public" involved may be the best ( or at least another)way to address this. Maybe start by writing a few articles for submission in the local newspaper editorial/people speak section.
    Maybe explain the program, what it has done for them in the past (most probably don't even realize it), and the fact that without their support it will go away. Can't Hurt?

Thread Information