Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default FDNY Exam ruled discriminatory?

Here's the link from CNN. Just curious what your opinions are.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/22/...ion/index.html

Pete

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Is there no shame? Embarassment?

I'm sorry but this has to be an embarrassment to self-respecting people whom this suit claims to represent. What can they possibly find? That the exam had questions only whites would know? Even here in the far reaches where ethnic diversity means you ain't related by blood, we didn't have any special white kids schooling days. Maybe once in H.S. they broke up males and females, for a day which I'm convinced was to train all females how to drive men insane, but no splitting classes up by race? So I ask how is this even possible to argue with a straight face. It's this kind of BS that instills some racist thoughts in those who don't care about race or color.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    Here's the link from CNN. Just curious what your opinions are.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/22/...ion/index.html

Pete
    Obviously this judge did not pay attention to what just happened next door in CT.

How is a test discriminatory? When is enough enough with this issue?

So is it race, ethnicity or socio-economic class? Judges should have at least a high school level ability to reason.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

It should be interesting to see how this plays out in appeals court after the New Haven case.

The whole idea of the Vulcan Society, BET, United Negro College Fund, NCAA, etc. is racist in my opinion.

Flame me or not but it's the thinking of today's society that these organizations are ok but if I started the White Entertainment Television Network, the United White Guy College Fund, or the United Hispanic College Fund people will be all upset.

Just another way to manipulate the system in their favor to give them a leg up.
    Disgusting.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Banned

Does anyone have another link. I would like to know what questions are objectionable.

Forum Member

Simple.....a liberal judge (picked by Bill Clinton) using his position for social engineering. Probably figured it was a way to push back at the Supreme Courts decision on the NH20. Dont expect an appeal though....I doubt the City of NY will even bother to try to do whats right.....easier to just roll over.

By the way: -5 million spent on selective "reqruitment"
    -Personal phone calls to select groups to remind them to show for the exam
    -Free training classes for select groups
    -Free rides to and from the test for select groups
    -Many members of the select group actually hired

But still.....its someone else's fault

The "Vulcans" should be embarrassed of themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    The whole idea of the Vulcan Society, BET, United Negro College Fund, NCAA, etc. is racist in my opinion.

Flame me or not but it's the thinking of today's society that these organizations are ok but if I started the White Entertainment Television Network, the United White Guy College Fund, or the United Hispanic College Fund people will be all upset.

Disgusting.
    Agreed....100% Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Does anyone have another link. I would like to know what questions are objectionable.

You wont find that information.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Ironically enough....the picture used by CNN was of the Woodycrest Avenue fire where 10 immigrants died....Im sure the 15 others that lived really cared about the skin color of those risking their lives to save them.

Oh yeah...the nozzleman was black too. I wonder how he feels to be called stupid by a judge?
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattyJ View Post
    Simple.....a liberal judge (picked by Bill Clinton) using his position for social engineering. Probably figured it was a way to push back at the Supreme Courts decision on the NH20. Dont expect an appeal though....I doubt the City of NY will even bother to try to do whats right.....easier to just roll over.

The "Vulcans" should be embarrassed of themselves
    I am sorry - I have too say with the above info, the test clearly discriminated against one group of people based on race - too bad it wasn't the group who won the lawsuit!

It is disgusting and people need to start calling it racism. That is what it is, plain and simple.

Forum Member

Disgusting.

The irony is facing such organizations in the mirror. It is hard to demand equality when you keep practicing segregation.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattyJ View Post

So ACORN conducted the test then?
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Upon reading the decision...it seems to revolve around the simple "statistical disparity" or "Disparate Treatment".

Another condescending decision that infers that blacks and Hispanics are too stupid to compete against someone with lighter skin color.

What isn't clear is if the city should revert to a more "job related" exam more similar to ones found prior to the 1980s that the Vulcans at the time argued against, claiming they were at a disadvantage. Clearly they are claiming that the current exams weren't "job related enough"...of course forgetting that they argued in decades prior that job related exams were discriminatory thus the jobs movement towards general knowledge (g-loaded) based exams. Now the race racket types are against these general knowledge exams....???

Would someone figure out what is the color of the sky in their world.

Also it would seem at a glance that the transitory nature of lawyers and their inexperince in the Corp Council problably played a role much like the bumbling of the New Haven City Lawyers played in their eventual loss.

FTM-PTB

PS- Exams are NOT rational actors....they don't choose where an applicant scores or is placed on the hiring list...the only one responsible for that result is the one taking the exam regardless of skin color.
    Last edited by FFFRED; 07-22-2009 at 10:05 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Disgusting.
    Well said. The minorities are only segregating themselves in a world that doesn't allow segregation by forming these groups. In this day and age it's illegal to treat someone different because of their skin color. Apparently that's not good enough, they've got to have a leg up.

I find this kind of thing an embarassment to those "minorities" who work their butt off and get the job.

Disgusting.
    I agree. While there are some from every group that work hard and apply themselves there are many who don't and want the easy road. There are several promotional study groups in my state. They're expensive and time consuming but many people take these classes, including myself, to prepair for the exam. From what I personally have seen and talking to other guys it's mostly the white FF's that spend the time and money taking these classes. Other groups don't put in the time studying. It's been like that for many years.
    In the fire accademy everyone is told how long before they can take a promotional test and how they can steer their career in that direction through study and hard work..And yes there have been exams where questions have been thrown out because minoritys didn't do well on those particular ones. It was done in my city so I know it for a fact.

Default Same problems in law enforcement...

Damn it! You guys have hooked me in!

I saw an article in the Newark Star Ledger several weeks ago about the NJ State Police's lack of minority troopers. The NJSP, FDNY, and many other agencies knew before they spent millions on these recruitment platforms that they would fail because past experience proved it. When I got on the job in law enforcement, no one had to convince me that it was a "good job." I didn't know the salary, benefits, or retirement package from a hole in the wall (naive me, I know, I was single and childless). No one gave me one-on-one instruction on how to ace the written, physical, or oral boards.

The fact of the matter is that these recruitment efforts are window-dressing attempts to reach out to the community to show compassion. I will expand on what MattyJ pointed out. If you think the FDNY or NYPD (or any other city) is racist, go to Medal Day for each agency. There you will hear deeds of daring and supreme sacrifice performed by people of all races in neighborhoods that may or may not reflect the ethnic makeup of the FD or PD. I don't know of any situation in NYC where a FF or PO asked the race/ gender/ creed of a victim before rendering aid.

The reality is that the brothers and sisters of FD/ PD/ EMS do the job because of the nobility of their chosen professions, and no amount of money or benefits can instill that in an applicant. Either you have it you don't.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Oh yeah...the nozzleman was black too. I wonder how he feels to be called stupid by a judge?

I never got how it was ok for the judges and these other groups got away with calling minorities stupid.

Pay attention to what they are saying and the Vulcan Society and KKK have the same views of minorities, although the Vulcans think we should be giving handouts while the KKK wants to hang them. Either way they both push that minorities are intellectually inferior to whites. Shameful, MLK JR must be spinning in his grave over this drivel.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    You wont find that information.
    How about this then? What kinds of questions do they ask?

Thread Information