Thread: 'Random dudes'

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up 'Random dudes'

'Random dudes' to the rescue

Times Colonist July 23, 2009 2:04 AM

Tyler Lockerby and Matthew Jackson saved the lives of four members of our family following a mishap on June 29 along Highway 1 near Revelstoke. Words cannot express the gratitude felt by family and friends to these two outstanding young men for their bravery and humanity.

Without hesitation, they jumped into the cold waters of Griffin Lake to rescue our loved ones trapped in a sinking vehicle.

By responding immediately, Matthew and Tyler prevented a very bad road accident from becoming an unimaginable tragedy. Both men are as modest as they are courageous. They tell the story of what occurred like it was just all in a day's work for two 19-year-old friends from Kelowna, who happened to be there when things suddenly went wrong.

When I told a young acquaintance of mine about Tyler and Matthew, he simply smiled and said, "Random dudes. When people really need help, random dudes show up."

Some would call these two fine British Columbians Good Samaritans, but "random dudes" works for me.

One point is crystal clear. Matthew and Tyler are genuine Canadian heroes. I thank them and wish them both all the very best in future.

Alec Tully

Victoria

Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thumbs up

Nice .... Random Dudes. I like it.

Great job, Tyler & Matthew!!!!

Interesting timing, considering the "other discussion". Ya just know SOMEONE'S gonna say it ....
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Another example of good people. In contrast to one controversial moron we have here.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Another example of good people. In contrast to one controversial moron we have here.
    Testify, Brother, Testify!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

the 4-1-4

It almost leaves hope...

Nice job.

MembersZone Subscriber

A couple more "Random Dudes" in action

Craig Passmore and Jim Thompson were on their way home from work when they saw smoke coming from a passenger bus on the Queen Elizabeth 2 Highway south of Edmonton.

Luckily for the group of mostly elderly Lac Ste. Anne pilgrims aboard the smouldering bus, the two were probably the best people that could have happened along--both are firefighters in the Municipal District of Rocky View.

"I think timing is just everything," Passmore said Wednesday. "We were literally the first people on scene, there was no one around."

The fire started at about 10:45 a. m. when the chartered bus blew a tire, RCMP spokesman Cpl. Wayne Oakes said.

Passmore and Thompson, who live in Edmonton, were heading home from a morning shift when they saw the bus driver trying to put out the fire at the back of the bus with an extinguisher.

"We knew fire suppression wasn't going to happen," Passmore said.

At that point, all the passengers were still on the bus, so Thompson got on and ushered everyone out.

"It went up literally within a minute, minute-and-a-half after that," Passmore said.

Witnesses who passed by moments later saw the National Motor Coach bus "engulfed in flames" in the northbound lane of the highway near Menaik Road, about 16 kilometres north of Ponoka.

Twenty Lac Ste Anne pilgrims were temporarily stranded, but no one was hurt.

All of the passengers' possessions were lost.

After a short stopover in Ponoka, the passengers were transferred to a replacement bus to continue to the Lac Ste. Anne pilgrimage site, about 75 kilometres west of Edmonton.

Marlene Morin, executive director at the Lac Ste. Anne pilgrimage, said the pilgrims arrived at the site Wednesday afternoon and were scheduled to return to Calgary the same night.

Despite the scare, Morin said the group was in good spirits considering all they had been through.

"They seem to be fine," she said.

ldrake@thejournal.canwest.com

bwittmeier@thejournal.canwest.com

Forum Member

Thumbs up

A "tip of the lid" to Craig Passmore and Jim Thompson!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Stories like these give a body hope that all isn't going to hell in a handbasket. It's those acts of selflessness that make this world a much better place in which to live.
    Last edited by firecat1; 07-25-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    Stories like these give a body hope that all isn't going to hell in a handbasket.
    Oh it still is. I have little faith in earth lasting very long.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh it still is. I have little faith in earth lasting very long.
    Folowing some of the posts on here, I'm starting to doubt the opinion that there is sentient life forms on the third planet from the sun

Thread Information