MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anyone familiar with the HMGP Program?

I just got a letter today stating that FEMA finally declared a disaster for the tornado that hit us (and several other communities in SW Missouri) last May. As a result, we're being notified we're eligible for the post-disaster HMGP (Hazard Mitigation Grant Program) funding. It was also accompanied by a letter in regards to PDM (Post-Disaster Mitigation) and flood-related grants are eligible. Since we're on top of a watershed, flooding's not an issue, so I'm concentrating on the HMGP and PDM grants.

Is anyone familiar with these programs at all? I'd like to take advantage of them, but to be honest I'm not sure what kind of projects we'd be interested in submitting or what all is eligible. There's just a short list of eligible/ineligible projects on the HMGP. I know storm warning sirens, stand-alone generators (not sure what a "stand-alone" is), studies and phased projects are ineligible and safe rooms (not sure we could even afford the match) are elegible, but beyond that I'm lost.

Any help, as always, is appreciated!
    Last edited by Catch22; 07-23-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Added side note: I just noticed this is my 3,000th post. Appropriate that it's in here asking for grant info!

Forum Member

Very familiar. HMPG is different state to state and FEMA Region to FEMA Region. It's funded through a set-aside of a perscentage of every disaster declaration, and typically, like most competitive grant programs, there are more applicants than money. In NYS, projects that have been developed and defined well before the declaration typically do better. Also, communities that have a PDM plan submitted and approved by FEMA rise to the top of the list for HMPG grants.

You should contact Sheila Huddleston at MEMA to get direct eligibility requirements for Missouri. She may also be able to give you a feel for whether you really have any chance, or whether applying would be a waste of your time.

Good luck!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

MembersZone Subscriber

Catch you might want to hook of with Mike Mcnneil. He is an old broke down EMA Director and had a few of those.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    Catch you might want to hook of with Mike Mcnneil. He is an old broke down EMA Director and had a few of those.
    Who you calling broke down??? Remember you ain't that far behind me

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hmgp

I am very familar with it - applied for my company after 9/11 here in NYC

drop me an email

Forum Member

Catch, I would have figured that you would have been involved in the formulation of your areas 'Hazard Mitigation Plan'. Anyway they should have involved you since your always identifying hazards. Someone from you area must have been involved. A company called JEO were the ones contracted to gather these surveys and other information. Ours went to our natural resources district. Much of the information could help secure your application for funds, especially if you pre-identified your hazard risks. So I understand.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyg26 View Post
    I am very familar with it - applied for my company after 9/11 here in NYC

drop me an email
    The PM and email isn't activated on your profile. I'd be more than happy to pick your brain if you want to turn it on, or PM or email me. Thanks!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Catch, I would have figured that you would have been involved in the formulation of your areas 'Hazard Mitigation Plan'. Anyway they should have involved you since your always identifying hazards. Someone from you area must have been involved. A company called JEO were the ones contracted to gather these surveys and other information. Ours went to our natural resources district. Much of the information could help secure your application for funds, especially if you pre-identified your hazard risks. So I understand.
    Well, one would figure the fire chiefs would be involved, let alone the city's EM (I serve as both). But, our LEPD has a lot to be desired.

If you'll allow me to vent a bit, I'll give you an idea. The day this tornado hit, we only got one piece of information from our county EM, and that was after our guys requested info. That information was that the storm was tracking 10-15 miles to our north. Never did they bother to notify us of an impending storm or to send out our spotters, which we had already activated.

What I am proud of was the fact that our guys were watching radar and new it heading right for us. They managed to contact the school, which had a crowd of about 500 there for graduation, and get a plan for them and provided 10+ minutes warning to the town.

When it comes to our LEPD, we only hear from them when the media's around. It was nearly 24 hours after the storm hit that our county EM arrived, and that was for an interview. Supposedly he was "helping" at the command post in the county west of us. I did get a chuckle when I found out he was ****ed because the Weather Channel interviewed me.

But, that's typical and we've learned to fend for ourselves. I'm working on our own EOP, but can't get it done because I'm waiting on my request for the 2005 EOP (which was revised in '07) to be fulfilled. The newest copy I have is the '03. Even if I get the '07, it's due to be revised this year.

Under normal circumstances, I'd be working through the county EM on this. But, as you can tell, that's futile.

Thread Information