Default Should I do my EMT training first?

I'm going to be attending Training Division for FF and was wondering what you guys think of me holding off on the FF and getting my EMT certs first? From all accounts getting your EMT - P and then getting your Fire Certs can help you get on with the service faster. Thoughts?

Forum Member

I'm new and don't have as much time in the service as many others here, but from what I've seen so far, get your EMT first.

I say this because many of the departments around my area require EMT, but not I & II as they will be teaching you those skills in the academy. If the departments you are looking to get on require both just the same, take them as the classes are available.

Forum Member

EMT first. Many departments will make you go through their fire academy even if you are certified.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

You didn't say where you were, City, State, etc.

In my old department we didn't care where or what cert's you had, as if you passed the entrence testing and was hired, you would go through the complete 20 week recruit school. That way, WE KNEW that you knew what you was suppose to know.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Here is Wisconsin, EMT-B (along with FFI..and it would seems increasingly FF2) is a prerquisite to be considered for any career dept., with EMT-Paramedic giving you an excellent shot at a career. It's up to you as far as what you do first, and of course, how much time you have to commit..I mean, could you do your fire courses AND your emt? If so, have at it.
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

Default Thank you

Thank you all for your feedback. I will be attending my training in Crowley, Texas and I've made a firm decision to attend to my EMT B and I99 courses first. Once I've finished my Hospital and Ambulance rotations, I'll then attend academy for my FFI & II. I cannot think of a better job in the world than to be a Firefighter and I look foward to joining your ranks soon.

Thread Information