Forum Member

Default Mercedes Chassis

After taking the tour of England this summer I have a couple of questions. First, is the Unimog still offered in the US? Second, Mercedes trucks are not sold in the US as far as I know. Is this because of emissions regulations? I would have thought that Europe would have more stringent regulation on emissions than the US.

Forum Member

Default They do sell in the US

Mercedes, both car and truck, is part of the world wide company Daimler. In the US they are Daimler Trucks North America which is made up of Freightliner, Western Star, Freightliner Custom Chassis, Thomas Bus, Detroit Diesel and at one time American LaFrance.

As far as the Unimog goes, not sure if it is still sold in the US.

Forum Member

The only Mercedes "truck" I have seen in the US lately in the Unimog. I realize Daimler has a stake in Freightliner, but I am interested in the Mercedes line of heavy trucks in Europe. I was curious as to why they were sold everywhere else in the world, but not sold here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
    The only Mercedes "truck" I have seen in the US lately in the Unimog. I realize Daimler has a stake in Freightliner, but I am interested in the Mercedes line of heavy trucks in Europe. I was curious as to why they were sold everywhere else in the world, but not sold here.
    Mercedes trucks were sold in the U.S. in the early through mid 70s. In my Owner/Operator days I owned one, a '71 LPK1319 set up as a tractor which I drove almost everywhere between Rescue101 and RFDACM02's turf in Maine and points west of Dallas, Tex. and everywhere in between. Traded it at the Mack branch in Dallas in "77 on a '74 Hayward F model Mack. Mine was one of the few cabovers that were brought in to the U.S. Most of trucks that were brought over were a short nose conventional.

When Daimler-Benz bought Freightliner they developed the Business Class trucks specifically to fulfill the same purpose. Once it was launched they discontinued importing M/B trucks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomwnh View Post
    Mercedes, both car and truck, is part of the world wide company Daimler. In the US they are Daimler Trucks North America which is made up of Freightliner, Western Star, Freightliner Custom Chassis, Thomas Bus, Detroit Diesel and at one time American LaFrance.

As far as the Unimog goes, not sure if it is still sold in the US.
    Last I knew, Unimogs were being imported and marketed by Case. Tony, any input?

Forum Member

Default Unimog

Within the last year I have seen them at our local Freightliner dealer in Maine with plow and sander set ups.

Forum Member

Smile

danko fire apparatus has built 3 or four on the unimog truck they still have two for sale.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Last I knew, Unimogs were being imported and marketed by Case. Tony, any input?
    In the 1970s. The Army also purchased their SEEs (Unimog) in the 80s thru Case as I recall. The current Unimog's thru Frtliner are huge compared to the old uni's you're thinking of. Dang near as large as a 4x4 Army LTV. And North of $100k for a chassis I believe.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...4D9055DB65174A
    Last edited by neiowa; 07-24-2009 at 05:26 PM.

Forum Member

I wonder if the 4 door Unimog in the link is the remnant of the ill-fated pumper built by Crimson for Brookings, SD?

Forum Member

Default Unimog

I believe the Unimog stopped shipping to the US when the 2007 EPA emissions standard came into place.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire2eagle View Post
    I believe the Unimog stopped shipping to the US when the 2007 EPA emissions standard came into place.
    Without having done any research I would question that only because European emissions standards are in some cases even tighter than ours. For example, SCR systems, which everyone except International will be using next year have been in standard use in Europe for several years now. That's where the technology was developed and tested.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Hello Sam, yes emissions shut them down in 2007 but the UNIMOG guys said they might be back in 2010. They are quite the piece of equipment and could probably pull a half dozen 550's backwards through a field while your shifting 6 gears in reverse.

Forum Member

Yes, Unimogs are great, but they are ALOT more than a F-550.They are too much for most departments bugets. They also dont have the part availability that an F-550 does. The F-550 kind of has a monopoly now that GM doesent make the 5500 anymore.

Thread Information