Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: interior attack

MembersZone Subscriber

Question interior attack

Is there any deprtment using a 2 1/2 for a interior attack line?
    Last edited by whitefishfire; 07-25-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by whitefishfire View Post
    Is there any deprtment using a 2 1/5 for a interior attack line?
    Did you mean 2-1/2?

If so, are kidding me? If you're asking that question you're either brand spanking new to the fire service or really big troll.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Did you mean 2-1/2?

If so, are kidding me? If you're asking that question you're either brand spanking new to the fire service or really big troll.
    firemedic, I think he got it right the first time by stating 2-1/5. We've actually just designed and sent out prototypes for our new line. You take a commonly found 2" hose, remove any nozzle, place any one finger of your choice over the stream which effectively gives you 2-1/5.

On the off chance that he is serious and not just trolling, we don't use 21/2 for interior on typical residential dwellings, but frequently use it interior for commercial/industrial types.

If nothing else I get to up my post count by one more.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by YFDLt08 View Post
    firemedic, I think he got it right the first time by stating 2-1/5. We've actually just designed and sent out prototypes for our new line. You take a commonly found 2" hose, remove any nozzle, place any one finger of your choice over the stream which effectively gives you 2-1/5.
    Ok, but if you're using 2 inch hose, where do you get the extra 1/5 or did you mean 2 minus 1/5?

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, but if you're using 2 inch hose, where do you get the extra 1/5 or did you mean 2 minus 1/5?

I ment 2 1/2 and I have been doing this for almost 20 yrs. I was blown away when I heard that the chief was thinking about going to 2 1/2 interior attack lines. I've always been taught 2 1/2 was used for commercial or deffensive mode. Just safety reasons scare me and with a 3 man eng. co

We are testing some hose here at our house that is 1 3/4 but when charged expands to 2". So far it's doin good with a low pressure TFT nozzle. Probably will be goin to that dept. wide if they like it enough.

2 1/2 is pretty damn big to be luggin around inside of a house and practically impossible to advance up stairs. would have to advance with a dry line just to get in place.

Then again he is the chief.

MembersZone Subscriber

I ment 2 1/2 and I have been doing this for almost 20 yrs. I was blown away when I heard that the chief was thinking about going to 2 1/2 interior attack lines. I've always been taught 2 1/2 was used for commercial or deffensive mode. Just safety reasons scare me and with a 3 man eng. co
    With a 3 man rig, you are definitely not going on attack with a deuce and a half. Unless of course your 2 FF are Dolf Lundgren and Arnie

I've always been taught 2 1/2 was used for commercial or deffensive mode.
    That's the way we do it. We use 1 3/4 on most fires, the 2 1/2 is rarely used.

Forum Member

Ok. So you're talking about abandoning your small lines and going to a 2 1/2 for all fires, specifically SFDs?

If that's the case, your Chief is nuts.

I think it'd be safe to say that nobody is doing that, but it's not uncommon to operate a 2 1/2 for interior attack in certain instances.

Forum Member

Holding one finger (out of 5 on that hand) over the spray effectively gives you the 1/5 ratio

Not sure what a firefighter with a hook for a hand's ratio would be though. LOL

1 1/2 attack lines for residential and small commercial stuff unless it's really big then we go to deuce and a half. We use deuce and a half for commercial or defensive stuff. You will need at minimum 4 firefighters to beef around a deuce and a half. If you don't have the manpower, use multiple smaller lines with only one or two guys on them.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Our department (Columbia, SC) generally uses 1 3/4" preconnects as our standard attack line. I have used a 2 1/2" on a few residential structure fires, however. It works well, provided that you can get into a position where the bulk of the fire can be hit from that one spot. Moving the line can be a pain in the ***, but it's definitely feasible with two firefighters.

MembersZone Subscriber evfd3100's Avatar

A 2½ is in no way feasible as a primary attack line. I usually only use it from a stationary position, with two men if curled, 3-4 is upright. If the situation allows, I throw a portable monitor on the end to cut down on using manpower. I try to use a playpipe nozzle with a 2½ line if at all possible if I'm not going to be able to use a monitor and will have to put men on the line.
    Assistant Chief
    Elberta Volunteer Fire Department
    http://www.elbertafire.com

"Find a purpose in life so big, it will challenge every capacity to be at your best."

You've never heard of using a 2.5" for attack in a residential structure fire? What do you do if the fire load is more than what an 1.75" can handle?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    You've never heard of using a 2.5" for attack in a residential structure fire? What do you do if the fire load is more than what an 1.75" can handle?
    I realize this has and can be done, but I believe the OP was also referencing the fact that they are responding intially with 3 people. Unless the structure is very large, if the fire load is too great to control with a 1 3/4, then its probably gone and should be fought defensively, protect adjacent exposures. My opinion only of course.

For the standard USA residential structure, it isn't.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

If you need a 2½ for your primary attack line strategy every time you roll the truck, then perhaps your municipality should look into some sort of ordinance requiring residences to have sprinkler systems if they are THAT large and carry THAT much fire load. I could see maybe using it every once in a while on a situational basis, but to use it as your primary plan of attack at any and all residential structure fires? If I were sending guys into a fire that required them to snake a 2½ inch through a house for an interior attack due to fire load or actual fire, I would probably second guess whether they need to be in there in the first place. Just my .02 anyways....I've never actually sent my guys on an interior attack with a 2½ in a standard residential structure.

Exterior offensive or exterior defensive? Absolutely.
    Primary interior offensive? No.

Call me Mr. Conservative, I suppose....
    Last edited by evfd3100; 07-26-2009 at 12:12 PM.
    Assistant Chief

"Find a purpose in life so big, it will challenge every capacity to be at your best."

Is he talking about replacing all the 1.75" with 2.5? I didn't read it that way. If so, that is insane.

I'm of the opinion that the second line in the door as a backup should be a 2.5" Protect the egress and be ready to move up to the fire if the attack line needs help.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Is he talking about replacing all the 1.75" with 2.5? I didn't read it that way. If so, that is insane.
    The original post didn't give much info, but the second post by him seems to point to his chief wanting to replace the 1.75" lines. THATS what I'm going on.

I was blown away when I heard that the chief was thinking about going to 2 1/2 interior attack lines.
    Last edited by evfd3100; 07-26-2009 at 12:23 PM.
    Assistant Chief

Question

OK, let's try and get some FACTS here.

whitefishfire, are you talking about using ONLY 2.5" attack lines and nothing else for ALL interior attack?

or

Having the option of using it inside in place of, or in addition to, 1.5" and/or 1.75" lines.

Thread Information