MembersZone Subscriber

Default Portable Cascade system

I'm a career FF in Bartlesville,OK and in charge of the SCBA's in the department. I am looking for some information on who has the best type of portable cascade system. We have anywhere between 30-50 structure fires a year and the Chief has asked me to look into getting a portable cascade system. I would appreciate any feedback anyone has. Thanks.
    Last edited by Brink1974; 07-25-2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added information

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Brink1974 View Post
    I'm a career FF in Bartlesville,OK and in charge of the SCBA's in the department. I am looking for some information on who has the best type of portable cascade system. We have anywhere between 30-50 structure fires a year and the Chief has asked me to look into getting a portable cascade system. I would appreciate any feedback anyone has. Thanks.
    Are you looking at a system to refill your backpack cylinders at the fire scene or to use to faciltate filling them up after the fire. Also what PSI cylinders are you using 2215, 4500, 6000? I've had a lot of experience with portable cascades although in a different environment.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm looking to fill up 2216 cylinders at the fire scene.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you looking for something to mount into a vehicle, or that's on a trailer, or some other configuration? There's a LOT of options out there.

My career department has a Mako system with two four-bottle 6,000 psi banks on it and a containment unit. It works great and we've never had a problem that I know of.

I know of another department that just mounted a four-bottle cascade and a containment unit inside the bed of a pick-up and it worked well for them.

If you're looking at trailered versions, nearly all the compressor manufacturers have something along those lines that have compressors, generators, cascades, and fill stations. There are also some companies out there that make rehab or special operations trailers with the units inside.

One thing I would caution against is getting a system built just for 2,216 psi bottles. If you ever upgrade, you're hosed. I'm a fan of the 6,000 psi bottles, as they'll fill more bottles before you drop below the 4,500 psi mark (we use the 4,500 psi bottles).

Forum Member

Yep,You can use a 4 bottle bank and fill a bunch of 2216. Not so much when you jump up tp 4500 even with 6000 bottles. T.c.

MembersZone Subscriber

We've got a 6 bottle, 6000 psi cascade system on our light/air/rehab unit. It has a Bauer 2 bottle containment system. It originally had a 4 bottle system to fill from, but we had our vendor piggyback the other 2 bottles on to the system, as our fill station in station can't fill the 6000 psi bottles to capacity. The unit is in a UPS style step van. Works well for us, giving us most of the support functions into one unit. IIRC, my vendor told me that we should be able to get 40+ fills out of this setup with our 3000 psi 30 min MSA cylinders.
    Last edited by RoaddoggAK; 07-27-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Didn't make a whole lot of sense to me!

Forum Member

Bauer and Scott also make trailer mounted or vehicle mounted Compressors w/ small cascade system.

6000psi Scott system w/ 2 bottles is in the $65,000 price range. Much more expensive than just a cascade system.

1 department in my area has one. Because it has shore power capability too, they use it in place of their old 4000 psi station compressor.

I watched them on a School Fire with 60 firefighters. Over a 4 hour period they must have refilled over 200 bottles, I never saw them more than 3 or 4 bottles behind.

We are trying to get one for our department.

Forum Member

We have 3 Air units, two are cargo type vans that carry cylinders only and spare SCBA's. They have to be taken to a station with air compressors and the bottles refilled. They are both used as back ups to our main Air Wagon which was one of our former heavy rescue rigs. It has 6-6000 psi cascade system, with a booster pump, inside two bottle Mako fill station and system control panel. It has spare cylinder storage also, 4 scba quick fill stations and a 150' air reel that has a two bottle portable fill station or can be used for umblical supply operations. There are spare SCBA's and extra facepieces also on the rig. It was built by our fire shop, but could easily be built in house. They are nothing fancy or expensive but they get the job done.

Thread Information