MembersZone Subscriber

Default new guy and need some help

hi i have wanted to be a fire fighter all my life. i just graduated high school and im going to attend the university of new haven to study fire science. its allways been a personal goal of mine to become a member of the fdny of another big city department with lots of action. but with the recent economy i have been very discouraged with all of the fd cuts and hiring feezes i have see while browseing every site i can it looks as if its nearly impossible to get a job anywhere.. give me some hope!! some advice anything, im getting discouraged. thankyou for any help

MembersZone Subscriber

Go to school and finish the fire science degree. That way when you are done and the economy is getting better you will be SO far ahead of lots of other people. You are just out of high school so you have plenty of time to get a degree and get hired on your dream job so dont rush into things just to be on the job. I cannot stress enough how far that degree will take you at the beginning of your career and more importantly later on in life.
    FFII/EMT-P

Forum Member

take tests while in college, it'll help you get better. You don't want to wait till you are out of college to try and get a job. Don't turn down testing opportunities they come only every 2-4 years

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    take tests while in college, it'll help you get better. You don't want to wait till you are out of college to try and get a job. Don't turn down testing opportunities they come only every 2-4 years
    This is very important. FDNY for example (your dream department) might take you years to get hired even if you test while in college. So take every test you can. Everyone says college is important, (which it is) but from my point of view, the fire service has become so popular as a career option, it is much more difficult to get hired on a good department than it is to finish school.

Many departments pay for you school, so if you do this option, just don't have kids or get married until you finish that degree and you will have no problem. So start college, knock out the basics and test all you can. Almost every major university offers online programs.

Just my opinion!
    Last edited by TechGuy; 07-27-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Forum Member

not to mention even if you take a city's test, like FDNY the day you graduate, you could have to wait up to 3 or 4 years to be reached on a list.

Now imagine they test in your junior or senior year and you decide to wait till after college to test and you are 6-8 years out from having a job. That's even if you are reachable the first time you take the test.

Forum Member

With most large departments having strict vet and residency preference standards I'd concern myself more with covering those bases than getting a degree that can just as easily be attained once on a department and as techguy said, at a reduced tuition. Contrary to the manual jockeys and safety sallies, in 99 of 100 cases this isn't a job you need a college degree for. I'm not discounting the value of education, just the piece of paper that people seem to think is some sort of rubber stamp unequivocably vouching for one's capabilities and character. Just ask LAFireEducator, he's a college man.

Thread Information