Thread: advice

MembersZone Subscriber

Default advice

hi i have wanted to be a fire fighter all my life. i just graduated high school and im going to attend the university of new haven to study fire science. its allways been a personal goal of mine to become a member of the fdny of another big city department with lots of action. but with the recent economy i have been very discouraged with all of the fd cuts and hiring feezes i have see while browseing every site i can it looks as if its nearly impossible to get a job anywhere.. give me some hope!! some advice anything, im getting discouraged. thankyou for any help

Forum Member

Keep this in mind: Fire departments are not like businesses that can decrease their size as their pocket books dictate. Nor can they go out of business or move to more prosperous locales. Fire departments must maintain a minimum of fire protection. The NFPA has set minimum standards that fire departments should follow.

Now, in these lean economic times, departments will find creative ways to cut their personnel, but there's only so far they can go. I believe most have already gone there. With retirements being a constant, these fire departments will again be in the hiring mode in the near future. And it looks like you have some years to further your education before being too concerned about the job prospects.

So, your biggest concern should be your competition for the job. It is fierce. The best thing to do between now and then is to educate yourself and prepare for the testing and academy processes. Being prepared should put you well above the majority of applicants.

Hope this helps,

Rob Bieber
    Producer/Director "A Firefighter's Journey"
    www.firewerxfilms.com

Forum Member

I feel your pain, as I am 'schooling' right now for a career in firefighting. My advice? If you don't have a family to tie you down to one particular location, and this is the career you really want, don't limit yourself to wanting just 'one job,' or one department. While FDNY might be your dream job or goal, it will always be there. You might want to consider getting 'reps' with another department, work on your portfolio, get some experience, certifications, shake some hands, make a name for yourself, and perhaps look at opportunities down the road. Still, you might get on with another dept. and realize that you love it there and stay there for the duration of your career.

Finally, yes, times are tough, but no municipality wants to go without fire protection. As stated previously, fire dept.s aren't going anywhere. Keep your chin up, and stay focused on your career. If it means that much to you, you'll stay the course and succeed! Good luck!
    Last edited by Breech31; 07-30-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: low blood sugar count!
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

Forum Member

put in the work and it will happen. You seem so to have the right attitude. I had 53 applications in at various FD's and I had far less qualification than you have/will have. Stick to it and keep your motivation level high and you will find the job you seek. I started looking at FD jobs after I got off of active duty in the Marines and saw how my brother's experience as a firefighter mirrored mine in the Marines and thought it might be a similar experience. I started putting in apps and shortly afterwards, 250 firefighters got laid off locally.. I figured I was SOL, but with some perseverance I got on with a great local dept. and managed to get stationed at the busiest station....

dont give up!

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by galice View Post
    hi i have wanted to be a fire fighter all my life. i just graduated high school and im going to attend the university of new haven to study fire science. its allways been a personal goal of mine to become a member of the fdny of another big city department with lots of action. but with the recent economy i have been very discouraged with all of the fd cuts and hiring feezes i have see while browseing every site i can it looks as if its nearly impossible to get a job anywhere.. give me some hope!! some advice anything, im getting discouraged. thankyou for any help
    First and foremost- Pick the exact location you want to work and live. Different departments have different requirements and certifications to join. Las Vegas is different from Utah from LA and Colorado.

Then move there and do several things- Good to school there, volunteer, get an ambulance job, network and meet people. Focus on those few departments and learn about them and prep for their next test.

Doing the shotgun effect to several different states is not going to be the ticket as everyone has different requirements.

Side note- After reading your posting, I would HIGHLY recommend you work on your spelling and grammar skills. These are very, VERY important in the fire service.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 08-07-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Thread Information