Thread: What the HE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What the HE!!

I started my career in Pa. and never saw anything like this.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/columnist/...down-from.html
    Shut the nozzle stupid, thats' smoke not fire!

MembersZone Subscriber

OK maybe we do need a national Fire Service. Talk about mentally challenged fire chief's! But, hey if it wasn't for those fools, who'd buy all the "I fight what you fear" stickers?

MembersZone Subscriber

What exactly is the point of all that?

I've heard of wet-downs before, but I've never seen one or ever heard of what one consists of. I can say I never pictured that.

MembersZone Subscriber

I always thought a wet-down was just hosing down the new rig as it backs into its position in the bay. More like a baptism than a water-fight.

I guess I was wrong...
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post

I guess I was wrong...
    Me too.

Forum Member

And Ithought it was ridiculous to push our new engine in.....
    I guess we could have done worse.

Forum Member

Wow....I'm speechless. What a bunch of hillbillies. No wonder why it'll be another 20 years before they get another piece of equipment. My respect for vollies is still unshaken, but this almost did some damage, for sure.

Pete

MembersZone Subscriber

At least they look like they had fun. *shrug*
    FF-II/EMT-B/Incident Safety Officer/Photographer
    Lancaster Fire Department
    First run area (Fire): Lancaster, NH & Guildhall, VT (84.3 Sq Miles)
    First run area (Ambulance): Lancaster & Jefferson, NH; Gilman, Guildhall & Lunenberg, VT (185.1 Sq Miles)

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, those career guys with their pranks are soooo unprofessional! But, alas, this is not the volunteer fire service in my area. Around here parades are hosted by communities and FD's have a minimal part vs. full blow apparatus parades that are judged! And any shenanigans like the posted video would never happen.

Forum Member

The title of this tread is about the best way to put it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    Wow....I'm speechless. What a bunch of hillbillies. No wonder why it'll be another 20 years before they get another piece of equipment. My respect for vollies is still unshaken, but this almost did some damage, for sure.

Pete
    Wait a minute there. Us hillbillies don't act like that - don't run us down.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just heard what a wetdown was a few months ago, and this was NOT how it was explained tome!!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    LOL!!! Good point LVFD301. Sorry. No offense intended. My hat will always remain off to the "true, professional" vollie. BTW, how would you refer to them?
    Pete

Forum Member

Default Some clarification...

Having attended some of these wetdowns myself, I think there is some clarification needed:

The average age of the participants is generally in the 18-25 range.
    They are generally alcohol-fueled.
    They sometimes end with hurt feelings, bruised bodies, and the occasional fistfight.

I don't defend the behavior, but they are very popular in Northern NJ. On one hand, it gives guys the opportunity to blow off steam. On the other hand, injuries and damaged equipment are unacceptable. Straight-streams are usually prohibited. However, again, it's been my experience that at least some participants go home severely p***ed off at their mutual aid agencies for some "overly enthusiastic" participation.

Forum Member

Angry What a Disgrace!

This department and video is a disgrace to the fire service! The chief and all members should be removed from service. We are entrusted with protecting the lives and property of people, and this is how they act? If I was a citizen of this community, I would be outraged!

The potential for injury or death is obvious. Let alone the fact the apparatus was either purchased with local taxpayer money, donations to the department or a grant, and this is how they take care of millions of dollars worth of equipment??

I'm surprised the local law enforcement agency allows this. If they can't handle it, maybe the State Police should step in.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have never been to an apparatus wet down, but I was part of a “personnel wet down”……

One night after training on the first department I was on all of the new guys (5-6 including myself) were told we had to test some new hose. So we laid out a few sections and then were told to stand on the other side of the truck so we could not see what was going on. We were told they would come get us one by one and we were to don full PPE minus SCBA. So I was 4th to go. I knew something was up when I saw the others that had gone before me soaking wet and had this huge grin on their face. So we were instructed to pick up and straddle the line which had a cellar nozzle on it. So we had to hold it in the air while they put a small amount of pressure, just enough to get it spinning good, while the others ran around the person holding the hose. So after each person got on the line then all of us had to get on the line and hold it in the air, and this time they put a good bit of pressure through the line. It was good laughs and then were told we were officially initiated into the dept.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    I have never been to an apparatus wet down, but I was part of a “personnel wet down”……

One night after training on the first department I was on all of the new guys (5-6 including myself) were told we had to test some new hose. So we laid out a few sections and then were told to stand on the other side of the truck so we could not see what was going on. We were told they would come get us one by one and we were to don full PPE minus SCBA. So I was 4th to go. I knew something was up when I saw the others that had gone before me soaking wet and had this huge grin on their face. So we were instructed to pick up and straddle the line which had a cellar nozzle on it. So we had to hold it in the air while they put a small amount of pressure, just enough to get it spinning good, while the others ran around the person holding the hose. So after each person got on the line then all of us had to get on the line and hold it in the air, and this time they put a good bit of pressure through the line. It was good laughs and then were told we were officially initiated into the dept.
    That sounds much more appropriate. No problems except soaking your gear. Then again, since you just joined the dept, you probably wouldn't be going in on any fires right away.

Forum Member

that wet down seems a bit more rowdy then other videos I've seen, but even before this video wet downs seemed very dinger. Parading around town lights and sirens then douching the truck with water, maybe I'm no fun but even without all the jack*****ery of this video it still seems pretty whacker.

there is having fun while being a professional, and this clearly isn't it

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    LOL!!! Good point LVFD301. Sorry. No offense intended. My hat will always remain off to the "true, professional" vollie. BTW, how would you refer to them?
    Pete

Frickin idiots. Thats what I would use.

You have to wonder what goes through the heads of some people.

I would also add, if it was my department? I would call them civilians,
    and be working to get new firefighters to help reclaim our professionalism and
    respect of our community.

IMHO.
    Last edited by LVFD301; 07-28-2009 at 09:09 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I personally think this is an excellent way to hold pump operation and hose line training. These firefighters will come away from that will excellent experience. This is how all training operations should be held. LOL

Forum Member

I had heard of this before, but according to our more senior members this type of 'event' hasn't happened in roughly 30 years..

Forum Member

Un-frickin'-believable.

Good to know that no matter how hard the fire service works to build good relations with the average citizen, there's always some idiot standing in the wings ready to leave our reputation in ruins.
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    For the record sir, it's WE hillbillies.

Permanently Removed

Thumbs down

Just as the comments stated below the video- TOTAL MORONS.

Thanks for making the fire service look like a bunch of idiots on the national level.

Forum Member

Honestly, not losing any sleep over this. Crowd there seemed to enjoy it. A bit "much" compared to what happens in my area. Listening to the crowd laughing and watching...I don't think that FD has to worry too much about a nation wide bad opinion of 8 minutes worth of video.

but I know the experts here will be up in arms.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information