Unhappy Trouble Sleeping

Hey there everyone. Well I have been having trouble sleeping over the last few weeks. I also talk in my sleep alot, but I have done that for years. However over the last few weeks I have been having really vivid nightmares, I wake up sweating like crazy and am unable to fall back asleep 30 to 45min. I have done some reading on the subject and think that the cause of my problems are a combination of regular everyday stress, minor sleep deprivation, and possibly some post tramatic stress. I say post tramatic stress mainly because most of the dreams are related to work/calls. I also thing I may need to cut back on my caffein intake and add some more cardio to my work out. That and get to bed a little earlier when possible.

Does anyone else have problems like this? If so what do you do to help with this issue?

Forum Member

Default Hope it works out for you .....

My bad dreams don't usually last more than a few days at a time. Yes they are almost always about work. (was always so temped to put in an OT slip)

Something i was reading about if your dreams are failure of equipment it might signal lack of confidence in your training. Which is written by people who claim to be smarter than me.

Also, i hate to say the same thing as you, but make sure you are getting enough physical exercise. If i don't do much after a couple of days i start having a tuff time getting to sleep.

Yah when I say about work I mean more like. In my dream I am on such and such call, and all the paitents are friends and family. Ran for an hour on the tread mill last night right before bed and I slept great. Although I had a little trouble going to sleep at first because of some worry about having a bad dream.

Well when I am on a bad call I do my job... Just like anyone else. Anyone who says they have never been bothered by the stuff we deal with is full of ****, or just has not run a call that hits close to home,... yet. Just because I am human does not mean that I am not "cut out for this job". When you can't deal with the issues is when someone should think about hangin it up.

Thanks for the good advise...

Forum Member

Are you married?

Are you and your partner, errr happy and having a good time and are having "fun"???

It may be that you aren't cut out for this job

In over 40 odd years I may have had 5 dreams dealing with something bad on the job.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

ok. I understand what your sayin. Ok the dreams I was talking about where not really about any spicific call it was just fire call related. As in the dream I was on a firetruck running a call. I have had trouble getting to sleep with bad dreams that have nothing to do with the fire service at all. I know this sounds like a really pussy *** problem for someone to have because we are all supose to be bad ***'s and such. But it's a problem none the less.

Since my first post I have had no problems sleeping.

Forum Member

Some have dreams ... some drink ... some climb the bell tower with a gun ... some run marathons and some store it all up and die @ 55 yoa ....we all deal with it different ways.

I wouldn't say you need to rethink your career choice.

Forum Member

Default sleep problem

Exercising is one sure way to make certain you are tired by 9pm. If you are not exercising at least 45 minutes 5 to 6 days a week in your target heart rate, make it a priority and slowly work up to that level. Most people say they donít have time. Make time! The best time to workout is in the mornings.

Forum Member

Many times a nightmare is not a repeat of what has happened, but of some lesson you are trying to learn. Exercise is definitely a way to get the excess stress out of your system. Another thing you can try is to put a pad of paper next to your bed and tell yourself to remember. When you first wake up - write down what comes to your mind. After a few mornings pull it all together and see what it means to you. You might find that it had nothing to do with the job . . . good luck!
    - Melisa

Forum Member

As fireservice professionals we have to manage our stress in a healthy way. The old attitude that we have to be thick skinned and immune to stressors is a sure way to turn into a beligerant old firefighter. Yes we are exposed to situations that are uncomfortable and yes they do affect us. Coping skills get us through. We cannot deny the impact they have on us. Many of these old crusty firefighters that are sarcastic and negative have developed a way to tun off their emotions in the workplace. Be tough and stay effective, yet have a healthy method of managing stress. As others stated exercise is great. Limit alcohol use as many use it as a way to mask job related stress. Try to stay out of the negative firehall coworker bashing. Allthough it is prevelant and seems like mandatory behavior, it is definately counter-productive.

MembersZone Subscriber

As others have said, begin managing you sleep problems with a routine. Exercise regularly (personally, I don't like just before bed, but mid-afternoon, but that's just me). Eat somewhat healthy. Not necessarily oats and bran and all the other organic stuff, but just limit the bad stuff. Limit the caffeine before bedtime. I know that the later in the day I have caffeine, the more difficult it is for me to get to sleep and the more active my dreams/sleep are when I do fall asleep. Find someone to talk to. This can start out being a friend/spouse and if they aren't helping, trying your dept's EAP. Good luck!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Wow! A guy comes here for help with a sleep issue that includes some nightmares and the best some of you have to offer is look for a new line of work? Really? That's it? You guys must be great around the kitchen table after a bad call..."Hey this call bothering anybody? It is? Time for you to look for a new line of work..." How about the vet who on occasion wakes up screaming because of a flashback dream? Do you tell him to look for a new line of work too?

Some did offer good advice. One even mentioned finding someone to talk to. This is a case for a trip to the family doctor for a physical and then perhaps a few counseling sessions to see what is bringing this on.

How about just a little compassion from some of you instead of being so quick to jump on the get out band wagon.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Banned

Default Ambien

Look into keeping active and ambien. Works great! I can pull a 48 with out issuebut cant sleep whn I get home. I pop an ambien, and i get a great 6hrs of sleep.

Banned

Default sleep issues..

I had sleep issues for years as a medic but never really had work related nightmares. Exercise always seemed to help set myself up for a good night sleep on my off days.

Forum Member

This helped me get over my insomnia

1. No caffeine for at least six hour before sleep.
    2. Don't stimulate your mind one hour prior to sleep like t.v. or reading.
    3. Don't exercise right before sleep-your metabolism is at it's peak.
    4. Don't eat anything for at least 2 hours before sleep-your digestive system needs to rest too.
    5. Shut your mind off by focusing on a vacation and listen to calm music-give your mind something soothing to relax to, not something to think about.
    6. Try to stay away from o.t.c. or prescription meds. -this will only hurt you in the long run.

Forum Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but one thing I didn't see mentioned (unless I missed it) is alcohol. For me, even just 1 or 2 drinks right before bed is usually enough to give me a restless night. Sounds counter intuitive considering alcohol is a depressant but it affects me more than caffeine.

So maybe limit alcohol consumption as well?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePrimitive View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but one thing I didn't see mentioned (unless I missed it) is alcohol. For me, even just 1 or 2 drinks right before bed is usually enough to give me a restless night. Sounds counter intuitive considering alcohol is a depressant but it affects me more than caffeine.

So maybe limit alcohol consumption as well?
    Geez, I wish I had that problem. One or two will put me to sleep if I'm not up being active at the same time.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Geez, I wish I had that problem. One or two will put me to sleep if I'm not up being active at the same time.
    Same here plus a little loving will always do the trick.

Thread Information