Thread: ifsac

Forum Member

Cool ifsac

I was wondering if any body could help me. I am looking for an academy but becasue I would like to move various places in this great nation to look for a job, i was thinking about goin to an ifsac academy trainingdivision.com and I would just like to know what states can ifsac be transfered to and if this would be a good idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by stammy08 View Post
    I was wondering if any body could help me. I am looking for an academy but becasue I would like to move various places in this great nation to look for a job, i was thinking about goin to an ifsac academy trainingdivision.com and I would just like to know what states can ifsac be transfered to and if this would be a good idea.

If you find out please let me know, seriously. I wanted to take the FF1 and FF2 through them and they told me to check with my state (Mississippi) to make sure they would recognize the training. So I contacted someone with the Mississippi Minimum Standards Board and they had no idea what to tell me. Basically I was told to take the training and then send the certification to them and they would see if they would recognize it. But I am not going to put forth the money and effort into all of that training and then they don’t take it. So if you find out please let me know.

Forum Member

This whole training tranferrability issue is about the only reason for a nationalized fire service.

Or at least national training standards.

Though, upon reflection, I thought they came up with FFI, FFII, Instructor I etc etc for just that reason.

Silly me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    This whole training tranferrability issue is about the only reason for a nationalized fire service.

Though, upon reflection, I thought they came up with FFI, FFII, Instructor I etc etc for just that reason.

Silly me.
    WTF do you care you f*cking moron? You yourself have stated numerous times that many of the topics covered by accredited training standard programs such as Fire I or II have no relevance or bearing to you or your personnel.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

Silly me.
    First, IFSAC does not develop the curriculum, they certify the testing as an accreditation that the standards of the curriculum were met. California currently is not a member of IFSAC, but did have a presentation by them last month.

Forum Member

Default IFSAC Accreditation

You can go to http://www.ifsac.org/Handbook/ACCREDITED_LEVELS.pdf and find the states, provinces and countries accredited by IFSAC. Most members will accept other entities certifications.

The real value in IFSAC is not to have international reciprocity (international certifications), but to have peer review, meaning having someone from outside of their entity (IFSAC) to review policies, procedures and testing methods to ensure each entity is meeting NFPA standards (FF I/II) or equivalent and actually doing what their policy says they are doing. It's one thing to "say" your meeting a policy or standard and it's another thing to say your program was "validated" by your peers from another entity with bias.

Good questions !!
    Wayne

MembersZone Subscriber

I had previously brought this exact subject up in a past thread I started, one for the online fire training and one about Firefighter 1001 training from the Mississippi Fire Academy transferring to Alabama. It stirred up some rather interesting discussion. In my personal opinion there should be a national standard for fire training. Pretty much all training can and usually is recognized between states, such as EMT and police officer training certifications. But firefighter training is hit-and-miss state to state and department to department. For instance…..

The city of Jackson (MS) has their own training academy for fire and police but will accept prior training from experienced firefighters and police officers, but you must go through a short “refresher” or “introduction” training period of about 2-3 weeks (at least that was what I was told). That makes sense to me. If you have someone who already has 1001 firefighter training and 10 years of experience then why make them go through the fire academy all over again just to be on your department? Is fire different in your state or city? But I can understand putting them through a short 2 week training period to learn your department’s standards and equipment.

Back to original post though, I would talk with you state fire academy first and see about going through them first off. At least then you know your training will be accepted.

Thread Information