Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs down Newark, NJ Battalion Chief injured at job

Newark firefighter in serious condition after falling through skylight
    by Sharon Adarlo/The Star-Ledger Tuesday July 28, 2009, 6:32 PM

NEWARK -- A Newark firefighter is in serious but stable condition today after he plunged 30 feet through a building skylight and landed on a cement floor while fighting a four-alarm blaze Sunday night, authorities said.

Kevin Killeen, a 57-year-old battalion chief, was at University Hospital today after suffering numerous broken bones from the accident at 38-58 Branford Street, a commercial building, said Fire Chief Michael Lalor. Killeen was on the roof of that building while examining the next door building at 282-288 Sherman Avenue, which was engulfed in flames, when he fell.

"He was alert and conscious," said Lalor about when Killen, who has been with the fire department since 1974, was transported to the hospital. "He's a hardworking, dedicated battalion chief," Lalor added.

Firefighters were called at 8:15 p.m. to Sherman Avenue where they encountered flames shooting 40 to 50 feet into the air and heavy black smoke emanating from the building, Lalor said. The one-story brick structure houses United Community Corporation, an organization that does automotive training, and had 30 cars inside.

About 100 firefighters responded to the scene as departments in East Orange, Orange, Irvington, and Montclair were on standby, Lalor said.

During the course of the fire, Killeen was next door surveying the extent of the blaze when he stepped through a plastic roof cover that is used as a skylight, Lalor said. Killeen was wearing full protection gear including tanks when he plunged through the roof and apparently landed on his back.

Firefighters put the flames under control at 9:45 p.m. but didn't leave the scene until the following day at 1 p.m. because of lingering embers, Lalor said.

While the cause of the fire has not been determined, it was not considered suspicious, Lalor said.

Freaking Chief is lucky to be alive after a 30 foot drop onto concrete.

Here is to a speedy recovery Chief.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

God bless ya, Chief.

Get better soon.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

I've known Kevin for many years and he's definately one of the "good guys". Always worked in busy companies, remembers where he came from, and takes care of his guys. Was at the hospital yesterday and while considerably banged up things look good.

Finally,some GOOD news.Best wishes for a speedy recovery,T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    I've known Kevin for many years and he's definately one of the "good guys". Always worked in busy companies, remembers where he came from, and takes care of his guys. Was at the hospital yesterday and while considerably banged up things look good.
    Outstanding.

When he feels better and returns to work you guys need to buy him an inflatable suit to wear as protection for the next time as a prank. Or perhaps a parachute. He'd probably appreciate the humor.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Outstanding.

When he feels better and returns to work you guys need to buy him an inflatable suit to wear as protection for the next time as a prank. Or perhaps a parachute. He'd probably appreciate the humor.
    I got a back injury as a result of a fall on a wet floor at a fire alarm activation four years ago. I missed 20 tours of duty IOD ( the "novelty" of IOD wears off in week 2... )

My first day back... my personnel attached a very large pillow to the backside of my turnout pants.

PS: I did appreciate the humor and ball busting!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Outstanding.

It's going to be a very long time before that. The second paragraph of the article that states numerous broken bones is not an exaggeration.

Thread Information