Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Opinions on Cartridge Foam Applicators?

As a non-firefighter homeowner living in a high-fire danger hillside area, I am wondering how well foam cartridge applicators work, also liquid concentrate solutions.

http://www.scottyfire.com/equipment/...-equipment.htm

I'm considering foaming the house eaves and decking undersides in advance of an approaching wildfire, then wisely getting the hell out to leave anything further to professional firefighters.

My main concern is the protective longevity of a beforehand foaming and whether or not it could actually prove useful. I don't want to spend money and time on something that only provides a false sense of security and doesn't work like its manufacturer's advertising claims.

Thanks - Richard

Forum Member

Not very familiar with them, but if you are spraying and leaving, wouldn't the gel be better/last longer?

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

I would say that making a defendible space is a first step. Keeping the area clear of brush and folage that can ignite is/should be madetory for someone in the Wildland Interface. Secondly, ensure that the building will not contribute to flame spread (ie. cedar shingles vs tin roofs, drapes in the windows) Thirdly, have a sustanible water source and have use of gel/foams prewetting the area/structure.

Now some will state that you shouldn't live in the wildland interface and that you should leave immediately if there is potential of being in the path of the fire. That is ultimately your judgement call and up to you. All we would ask is that you don't place your self in a hazardous situation where you would be come part of the already dangerous event.

The ones on the website you posted do not look well aerated (mixed with air to create a good lasting "clingy" blanket to the wall surfaces. Maybe better than nothing but not that great.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Wink

I have seen the POK cartridge foam system demonstrated and it seemed to work well. It was on a 1 1/2 inch fire hose pumped to about 100 psi from a fire truck. Talk about simple to operate, put in a cartridge, hook the nozzle to the hose and start spraying. They do have one for 3/4 inch garden hose and say it will operate down to 20 psi.

Scotty offers either a 3 or 8 gallon system that uses a nozzle attached to the top of plastic jug. If I remember right it is a little over a gallon. There are different nozzles but I am not sure if you can use them on the garden hose set up. This will operate with as low as 45 psi.

Frankly, I agree with maintaining a defensible area around your home free of brush and trees. your time would be better spent getting your family and a few precious possesions safely out of the path of the advancing fire.

Or, if your area is protected by a volly FD go down and join the fire department. I am sure they would love to have you.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post

Or, if your area is protected by a volly FD go down and join the fire department. I am sure they would love to have you.

Well said.

I once was talking to a volly shief that mentioned how he was being questioned on the scene of a car fire by a bystander and was asked how come it took so long for anyone to bring the pumper....
    .... he just handed the guy an application sheet and asked him to consider serving the community and be the one to MAKE the differnce.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Thread Information