Exclamation Promotions in Tampa fire Rescue

I would like to know how promtions work in Tampa. If i need my associates degree to even qualify for a captians positions or a drivers, lieutenant etc. If somebody could answer this that would be so great!

MembersZone Subscriber

There is no set Degree that you need untill you get up to Chief positions per say and most just require you to have so many hours of college and that is covered by the hours you need to get hired. The Lt. position does require you to have at least one management class to take the test. Here is a copy right out of our contract for promotions.

ARTICLE 32
    PROMOTIONS

32.1 Selection for promotional vacancies shall consider skills and other relevant factors. Selection of an employee for promotion shall be at the sole discretion of the Fire Chief.

32.2 It is understood that promotion decisions are judgments which incorporate the criteria stated in 32.1 (above) and that only the promotional process, and not professional judgments, are grievable under the appropriate provisions of this Agreement.

32.3 Upon expiration of a current eligibility list, employees will be certified on the next applicable promotional eligibility list in the manner provided in the Civil Service Law, rules and regulations of the City of Tampa using the Rule of 5 in lieu of the Rule of 6. Employees with a score of 70 or higher and who meet the minimum years for promotional eligibility (see below) shall be awarded 1.5 points for each year of service beyond the minimum years of eligibility up to a maximum of 15 points and shall be eligible for the applicable classification. Said list shall be in effect for two years from the date of certification. Whenever a vacancy is to be filled, the Department of Human Resources shall certify to the Fire Department the Fire eligibles ranking highest on the appropriate list. Two additional names will be certified for each additional vacancy. No effort will be made to break tie scores for the first and last vacancies. Intermediate tie scores will be counted on a one-for-one basis.

TITLE MINIMUM YEARS FOR ELIGIBILITY
    Driver Engineer 4 years
    Asst. Fire Inspector/Investigator 4 years
    Paramedic 1 year
    Rescue Lieutenant 6 years including 3 as Paramedic
    Fire Captain 8 years including 3 as Driver Engineer
    or Rescue Lieutenant

Fire Inspector/Investigator 8 years including 3 as Assistant
    Inspector/Investigator

District Fire Chief 12 years including 3 as Captain

Only service as a certified firefighter (non-civilian) at Tampa Fire Rescue will be included in crediting of the minimum years. The qualifications to sit for promotional examinations shall not be altered.

32.4 Promotional Exams. All promotions shall require a written test provided however if there are five (5) or fewer qualified candidates the written test requirement is waived and all qualified candidates will be placed on the eligibility list. For positions of paramedic and below (grades F-3 and F-4) sources shall be limited to the S.O.Ps and rules and regulations, D.L.P., and the collective bargaining agreement. For positions above paramedic (grades F-5 and above) sources shall be limited to the S.O.P.s and rules and regulations, D.L.P., collective bargaining agreement, and either IFSTA Fire Company Officer or ICMAS Effective Supervisory Practices. At least four (4) months prior to promotional tests, the City shall notify the IAFF of methods of tests to be used, sources to be studied and the date of the test. The promotional exam shall be weighted as 90% and education shall be weighted as 10%. Seniority points, if applicable, shall be determined as provided in Article 32.3.

32.5 The Fire Personnel Chief shall meet upon the request of an employee not selected for a promotion to provide recommendations for future promotions.

Thank You with all that important information!!!

Forum Member

Default Panel interview for employment

Does anyone know if Tampa Fire will have any more panel interviews coming up in the near future?

MembersZone Subscriber

They might have one more I dont believe they were very impressed with many in the last panel interview they just had. My understanding is that only a few were picked for a Chief interview. We just started a class of ten out of that ten 6 of them are out of the 36 f/f grant so that means 30 more for the grant still need to be picked and must be hired I believe by the end of Oct.

MembersZone Subscriber

hopefully i was one of the ones they were impressed with

MembersZone Subscriber

Just found out that they will not have another panel interview this year so whoever scored the highest in these last two interviews will be called for a chiefs interview. I did not see any names on the "board" as of yet they usually dont go up untill after the chiefs interview then the thorough background check, lie detector etc... Then the phone call with an offer. Good Luck to all

MembersZone Subscriber

Really appreciate all the info patch

Forum Member

Anymore news on how the hiring process is going? I was one of those fortunate enough to move on to a chief's interview and haven't heard of anyone hearing anything yet so I was curious to find out if there was anything going on behind the scenes.. Thanks for all of your help and information....

Quote Originally Posted by Patchmedic View Post
    Just found out that they will not have another panel interview this year so whoever scored the highest in these last two interviews will be called for a chiefs interview. I did not see any names on the "board" as of yet they usually dont go up untill after the chiefs interview then the thorough background check, lie detector etc... Then the phone call with an offer. Good Luck to all

Forum Member

VESMedic or anyone else.. Did you make it to the chiefs or have you heard anything else? I guess I don't feel too worried if no one else has heard anything about hiring yet...

MembersZone Subscriber

15 recruits will be starting on the 19th of Sept. They are still sorting through the other applicants for another group to be hired for mid-Oct. That group should be at least 15 maybe a few more.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patchmedic View Post
    15 recruits will be starting on the 19th of Sept. They are still sorting through the other applicants for another group to be hired for mid-Oct. That group should be at least 15 maybe a few more.
    Thanks so much for all the info Patchmedic.. Have all the Sept recruits been notified? I've only heard of 1 guy getting a poly so far and that was just last week so I wasn't sure if there were still candidates being notified and rushed through for Sept or if the remaining few need to just hope for October.. Thanks again for all your help!

Forum Member

Do any of you know how TFR's eligibility list work? To my understanding applicants are placed on a list by ranking and they call the top ranked applicants off the list for interviews based on how many the department is hiring. I have read that departments usually interview double of how many they're hiring. Also, I was placed on the eligibility list the last time TFR was hiring, if they hire again within that year are you "re-ranked" on the list or do they move you up in the ranks for an interview? I know each department is different. Any info would be much appreciated.

Also, is there anyway to see what # I am on the list?

Thread Information