Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Im starting at ground zero, need advice and support!

Hey guys, a little background info first,

I'm 19, currently not going to college but working part time, my friend just recently told me he is going into the Marines to be a firefighter. He'll have a 4 year stint with them, then get a job here in the states as a fire fighter.

All this talk about going into the Marines, etc got me thinking about my career, and me wanting to be in the medical field, and now I'm not too sure if thats the way I want to go.

I've always wanted to be a fire fighter, I love the idea of helping people and saving lives, and so forth.

I got a couple questions, I googled the salary of firefighters and it seems tha tmost make around 40-70k max a year, is this true? I asked my friend and he says its wrong, all his professors and his uncle who works for the fire department say they make around 60-130k, working 24 hours straight, then 48 days of, is this also true?

Also, I don't know how to get started, I don't think the Marines are right for me, but how does one go about wanting to work for a fire station? What do I need to do?

What would you guys say is the best and worst part of being a fire fighter?

I really don't have anyone to ask, so Im turning to you guys for any advice and encouragement, thanks!

There have been a few threads on here about this before...so do some searching.

Join the Marines for the right reason. Not because you want to be a fire fighter. The recruiter will tell you what you want to hear, will "guarantee" your MOS after joining, etc. And then you find out that is not true.

Also, there is no guarantee that you will get a job as a paid FF after you leave the Marines. In some areas, it gets you a few extra points, and thats it.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Banned

I can tell you this much, when you go into the parking lot of most fire departments they are filled with a whole bunch of F350 and the like pick up trucks. There are no old rust buckets sitting in the driveways.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klaploop22 View Post
    Hey guys, a little background info first,

I'm 19, currently not going to college but working part time, my friend just recently told me he is going into the Marines to be a firefighter. He'll have a 4 year stint with them, then get a job here in the states as a fire fighter.

All this talk about going into the Marines, etc got me thinking about my career, and me wanting to be in the medical field, and now I'm not too sure if thats the way I want to go.

I've always wanted to be a fire fighter, I love the idea of helping people and saving lives, and so forth.

I got a couple questions, I googled the salary of firefighters and it seems tha tmost make around 40-70k max a year, is this true? I asked my friend and he says its wrong, all his professors and his uncle who works for the fire department say they make around 60-130k, working 24 hours straight, then 48 days of, is this also true?

Also, I don't know how to get started, I don't think the Marines are right for me, but how does one go about wanting to work for a fire station? What do I need to do?

What would you guys say is the best and worst part of being a fire fighter?

I really don't have anyone to ask, so Im turning to you guys for any advice and encouragement, thanks!
    Only you can decide if following your friends path is right for you and as was noted, it doesn't come with a guarantee of a job when you get out. Additionally, as far as I know, the firefighter mos in the Marines is as an aviation firefighter, not the same as being a municipal firefighter. Nothing wrong with that, but something to be aware of.

The salary numbers you post are for the most part accurate, but they will vary from department to department depending on things like the cost of living, amount of available overtime, economic viability of the area, etc.

I think most departments tend to work either 24 on, 48 off or 24 on, 72 off. There's also a fair number that work some sort of split day/night type of schedule. A typical one of those is 4-10hr days, 4 days off, 4-14hr nights, 4 days off, then repeat. There's also a few other shift schedules out there.

If you're looking for a FF job, then do some research into the departments you're interested in or areas where you'd like to live that have career departments. Find out what the process to get hired is and follow it.

Join the Marines to be a Marine....or you will be saying "F my life" for the next 4 years.
    IACOJ Member

Go into the military or go to college. Getting a dregee will help your education will help you in a career be it the fire deptment or something else.

Join the Coast Guard as they probably are best suited for you. Get the recruiter to get you locked into a medic school once you finish boot camp.

Or go into the Jirines and get off the bus at 0200 hours and get you feet on the yellow footprints painted on the deck and keep your mouth shut unless a DI asked you something!!!

Semper Fi!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Or go into the Jirines and get off the bus at 0200 hours and get you feet on the yellow footprints painted on the deck and keep your mouth shut unless a DI asked you something!!!

Semper Fi!

You're making me all nostalgic. Ahhh, those were such memorable days of my youth.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    I can tell you this much, when you go into the parking lot of most fire departments they are filled with a whole bunch of F350 and the like pick up trucks. There are no old rust buckets sitting in the driveways.

what fire houses to you go to? The only guys with nice cars are the single guys and the ones with side jobs. Often times the pick up is for the side job.

pay will vary depending on where you are, but unless you live somewhere with a high cost of living, don't expect 6 figures.

Thread Information