Forum Member

Default They walk among us....

I got a phone call from someone looking for information on carbon monoxide "for informational purposes"...

her question was...

What are the long term effects of a lethal dose of carbon monoxide?

I asked her to repeat the question... as I wanted to make sure I heard her correctly

What are the long term effects of a lethal dose of carbon monoxide?

I told her "death".

Her reply?

oh...
    The scary part... she was serious!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

you sure she could walk? Walking takes brainpower...

Forum Member

I'm really not surprised. I don't consider your caller to be ignorant, just uninformed. If it isn't something one has never worried, why would they know?

Your succinct answer gave her all the info she needed. I think you handled it quite well.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Some people just live from day to day, not knowing what is present that will or can kill you.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I'm really not surprised. I don't consider your caller to be ignorant, just uninformed. If it isn't something one has never worried, why would they know?
    I'm sure a fair number of people are unfamiliar with the ins/outs of CO. However, I think in this case it's really not about being "ignorant" or "uniformed" regarding CO.

It's more about not understanding that a "lethal dose" of anything means that the exposed person is dead and that the "long term effects" of being dead are getting buried in the ground for eternity or being incinerated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    I'm sure a fair number of people are unfamiliar with the ins/outs of CO. However, I think in this case it's really not about being "ignorant" or "uniformed" regarding CO.

It's more about not understanding that a "lethal dose" of anything means that the exposed person is dead and that the "long term effects" of being dead are getting buried in the ground for eternity or being incinerated.
    No, the caller just lacked the ability to thinkfor themselves and understand what the term "lethal" actually means.

The dumbing down of America continues.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ummm... errrr.. aaaahhhh... ya. Ok. Sure.

That one reminds me of a call we got at the RCC a few years ago. Some guy from southern BC called to tell us that the "Americans" were making hi-flyer chemical disbursements using commercial a/c. He could see the contrails in the sky and said that he was being poisoned by the biologic or chemical deployment coming from the a/c. One of the CCG controllers finally asked if he was wearing a tin hat. I can't remember the response, as by that time I, and most of my co-workers were somewhat incapacitated by that time.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

At least she didnt call and ask what it smells like, swearing to all that is holy that their house smells like CO

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Say what?

Definition of ignorant: The condition of being ignorant; the want of knowledge in general, or in relation to a particular subject; the state of being uneducated or uninformed.
    Change We Can Believe In.

Forum Member

I think we have all gotten a call like that through out our careers. It just makes one wonder what people are thinking when they call.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    No, the caller just lacked the ability to thinkfor themselves and understand what the term "lethal" actually means.

The dumbing down of America continues.
    Uhhm, that's pretty much what I was saying.

Forum Member

Odd, I thought the LONG term effects on anything "lethal"were pretty obvious. Mebbee she missed that class,T.C.

Thread Information