Forum Member

Default EMT down, now what?

Hey guys, I just completed and passed my EMT test. I am so happy to be certified, but also know this isn't the end. I am wondering on what some of you guys might suggest my next step would be? I'M hoping to get in a college Fire Academy, but if not, what would you suggest?

Thinking of getting into some more fire science classes also.

Thanks a bunch!

Forum Member

I think a good decision (and many will tell you this) would be to get on with a volunteer program, whether fire or ems to practice some of those skills, get some experience, do some networking, and get a taste for what this business is all about. Also, be on the look out for more professional development, such as more class, workshops, etc. Of course, if you can get on with a career organization, that's good also. Best of luck!
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

Forum Member

Cool, thanks for the help. Ill see if i can get a job as an emt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do what Breech said. Realize that many of the larger depts will have their own fire academy, so going for FF 1 and 2 may be unneccesary. If you like EMS you can go for your medic. That will greatly increase your odds of getting hired, if your dept of choice has the firemedic position.

MembersZone Subscriber

I concur with edpmedic's post about getting your paramedic its what got me my new career job three months ago.

Thread Information