Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Which Stethescope for me?

I'm about to start EMT-B and need to purchase a stethescope. I want a good one for on scene EMS activities but not one that will break the bank. I'm also volunteering with a local Dept. and plan to use this stethescope well beyond the class.

What am I looking for? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks all,

Jonathan Murray

Forum Member

Sprague Rappaport, good steth, good acoustics, comes with several different bells and several different eartips. Pretty inexpensive. Also all kinds of cool colors.

If you want to spend some bucks buy a Cardioscope.

Forum Member

Default You get what you pay for

You can get stethescopes from most medical supply companies, in addition to your local CVS or Wal-Mart. I bought mine from my local Fire/EMS Supplier(a dual lumen) for $25 dollars, and I say it works pretty well. On the other hand a friend of mine bought a Littman for $125 and he says its the best thing since sliced bread haha. But remember it's an investment and the cheapest may not be the best or most durable. Hope this Helps!

Forum Member

... don't forget you have the trade off of "i spent how much and lost it in my first week ...."

Forum Member

I bought a regular littman (like $55?) or so and I love it. Our department only provides a sprague on the med unit and I use my own and I love it! I think you can hear so much better. Check out a med supply store or on ebay.

My advice - during class - use the cheapies provided to you or buy yourself one of the "disposables" Like the CVS & Wally World models.

Use this time to learn technique and proper usage (as well as developing good habits on how to not lose your personal equipment).

After you finish class if you find that you do indeed wish to continue with EMS (and perhaps even want to extend your knowledge to Intermediate or Paramedic) then get yourself a Littmann Master Classic II - current street price about $90 plus S/H with your name laser engraved on the head.

Regardless of what color you get - put something bright and / or reflective on it so you can spot it in the grass at night when you drop it (because you will sooner or later - everybody does).

Other than that - good luck in class. Take pride in your studies and become a master of your craft.
    Last edited by N2DFire; 08-03-2009 at 01:31 PM.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Littmen Cardiologist about 75 bucks but it rocks, just keep your name on it and never let it out of your sight your coworkers will steal that thing its that good.

Forum Member

The Littman stethoscope I have has two tubes for conducting the sounds.It works for me.
    I would also advise making sure that if the bell twists around from one size to the other,that you make sure the one that you hold against the patient is the one that is open to conduct the sound.
    You do NOT want to look like a fool telling your clinical ride proctor that you can't hear anything to take the blood pressure.
    BTDT

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks everybody for your input and suggestions. I settled on a lower-midlevel Littman.

pelham, nh int he best country in the world

i love the littman cardio 2, i have it in the all black edition, it was 110 i believe

Forum Member

I used the $5 ones we were able to buy at the class, worked fine all through the class, didnt have to worry about it, just focused on learning the material. Look around when you do ride alongs and ER visits, see what you like.

Forum Member

Just rememner that you can get too good of a set of ears. My old partner had a a hgih dollar Littman and could actually hear the bumps in the road!

Thread Information