Default Fire Inspector I

Hello, my name is Rosi and I recently got my certificate for Florida Fire Inspector I. I have never had any firefighting experience before. I am a civilian. I have started to look around and call the local civil offices of Tampa, Clearwater, etc.... but I can not seem to find any information about work. I used this website back when I was taking classes at SPC, and I decided to register over here and find some information. If someone can pinpoint me in the right direction, that would be fantastic.
    Thanks very much!
    Rosi.

Forum Member

it's somewhat unusual for someone without experience or a minimum standards cert to do that, I suppose, but there are places that employ civilian inspectors. unfortunately, the only place I know of is clearwater. most fire dept's have their own inspectors (i.e. firefighter's who decide to get their inspector cert and move into the prevention division). if I hear of any other places who have civilian inspectors, I'll let you know. have you thought about doing building inspection instead? at any rate, local governments pretty much aren't hiring anyone these days. mostly firing unfortunately.

Forum Member

I've just finished Fire Investigator classes and have to take the state test, which I have no info on whatsoever. But anyway Its very hard to come by any info in the fire investigator line of work, it seems that everybody hiring is looking for so many years of experience. I already have my standards/emt certs along with being a marine, so I hope to get some more info if possible.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check with private investigators or insurance companies for the investigations side. Budget cuts to fire departments has reduced the staffing for fire investigations, so, insurance companies are looking to protect their assets.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFPotenziano View Post
    Check with private investigators or insurance companies for the investigations side. Budget cuts to fire departments has reduced the staffing for fire investigations, so, insurance companies are looking to protect their assets.

Also most fire departments require you to be FF2 certified any many now also require you to be an EMT.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bucsfan View Post
    I've just finished Fire Investigator classes and have to take the state test, which I have no info on whatsoever. But anyway Its very hard to come by any info in the fire investigator line of work, it seems that everybody hiring is looking for so many years of experience. I already have my standards/emt certs along with being a marine, so I hope to get some more info if possible.
    A friend just got hired by some insurance investigation company. He gets paid a flat rate plus mileage per assignment. Says he makes pretty good money for the time invested, but it's only a second job for him and he only works when there is a fire within his designated area. He had several years experience at the State Fire Marshal's office as an investigator, fire officer, law enforcement, etc.
    I got my Inspector Cert hoping it helps me get hired and the classes also apply towards Fire Officer I. I think you guys are going about this backwards. I looked for a job as an inspector and found nothing. It's a job that people stay in for 20+ years. Usually it is because they can no longer fight fire due to injury or health.
    ...at this time.

Thread Information