Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Based Paramedics

To all of the fire based paramedics on the board who split duties between fire apparatus and ambulance duty, I have a few questions.

1. What size department are you on?

2. How do you split your time?

3. Is all of your fire equipment ALS? If not, what is the ratio of ALS vs. BLS?

4. Do you feel your "roatation" allows ample time to foster competence in both areas?
    FTM-PTB

Quote Originally Posted by MontvilleFire39 View Post
    To all of the fire based paramedics on the board who split duties between fire apparatus and ambulance duty, I have a few questions.

4. Do you feel your "roatation" allows ample time to foster competence in both areas?
    I'm not a medic but we do run ALS, however we do it on fire units only, we have County based ambulance service.

7 stations, 8 companies, about 120K population. 7 companies are full time ALS, the other one is as staffing allows. Generally have one medic per rig. Our medics initiate care and have the option of continuing to the hospital if needed or pass it to the medics on the bus when it arrives (which is usually how its done). I have a 4 man min. rig so if it's critical and they need a driver, I'll often give my EMT to drive to get our ALS coverage back in service while we follow to the hospital to pick up our guy.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

1.) We jump from rig to rig all day depending on they type of call. 65% EMS, 30% Fire, 5% Service. We run with 9 on the day and split between 2 stations running 4500 calls a year.

2.) All are medics and 3 ALS medic ambulances 2 BLS fire rigs (eng + trk).

3.) 3 Medics on every call. Not really any rotation for the newer guys and the Lt's. (almost always on the buses)

4.) As far as gaining competance, we train in house. My shift tries to get about 1 hour in each day on fire training. EMS training is 3 hrs a month in house.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

MembersZone Subscriber

1.) Dallas Fire, 24-48 schedule, 1500? uniformed, 1.2 million population

2.) I am lucky we have 7 Paramedics assigned to the ambulance I ride. I ride
    3 times a month, which gives me 6-7 shifts on a fire app. All ambulance rides are scheduled 1 month in advance. The majority of our Ambulances have 5 Paramedics. We can ride no more than 4 shifts in a row, and ambulance shifts can not be over 50% at the end of each quarter.

3.) Dallas has 5 ALS engines, 3 of those are new to being ALS and the kinks
    are getting worked out. Possibility of 21 more ALS engines being placed in
    service. For the rest of the non ALS equipment Paramedics are on fire
    equp. but they are not listed as ALS or BLS.

4. Since EMS is busy in every major city, training does get overlooked when you are on the ambulance. There is really no excuse for the other days when you are off the puke wagon though.

The good thing Dallas Fire has in place and it is backed up by medical control is the authority to refuse to transport on certain calls...ie broken fingernail, hurt toe, out of medications. This keeps the hospitals from being overrun by BS.

Forum Member

1. We have a 2 station department that runs between 4200-4400 calls a year. With a minimum staffing of 10 and a max of 14.

2. We pick our job slots be seniority, we try and give a fair rotation, but in my house and shift we are all medics. I do 3 days on an Ambo and 6 on an Engine take away my kelly that gives me 9 slots a month to fill. Some guys end up on the Ambo 6 days a month. It just depends on the shift and their staffing.

3. All our front line equipment is ALS 2 engines and 2 ambulances (third is staffed if full shifted)

4. Yes, the rotation is there to give the younger guys more EMS experience. The more senior guys still do EMS off the engine so the skills are kept up. Also our ambulances do firefighting, they have their own assignments once on the fireground and have SCBA's along with irons and a hook to start working.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Not a medic, but for the past three years, I've been a lieutenant in companies with ambulances assigned to them:

525 sworn members.

We work 7 out of every 21 calendar days, and the medics will ride the ambulance either 2 or 3 days out of those 7 days. The medic will ride with his BLS driver for the full 24-hour rotation.

All fire supression rigs are ALS equipped. They're ALS staffed about 90% of the time also.

We have talked about this at length at my department, and at the stations I've worked at. Our call volume (40,000 annually, 78% EMS) gives the medics ample time to keep their skills fresh in both the fire and EMS disciplines. Furthermore, the ambulance crews still go training with the engine and/or truck companies, and all members participate in on-going EMS training.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

- 5 stations roughly 110 members

- All suppression assigned medics must complete a mandatory 24 hours a month on a rescue. There is no mandatory suppression time for rescue assigned medics, a big problem.

- Yes. We have 5 stations: 5 rescues(Fl. FD run ambos), 4 ALS engines, 1 ALS quint and 1 EMS suppervisor per shift.

- Absolutly not, seeing as how there is no mandatory engine/Quint time.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

~480 members, serving ~240,000 people.
    Not really a split.
    FF/PM's either work on a rescue (medic unit), 2 ff/pm on board, or they work on one of 3 ALS engines. People move as positions come open.
    No.
    16 engines, 3 are ALS, others are EMT-B.
    4 trucks. All EMT-B.
    5 ALS rescues/medic units with 2X ff/pm.
    4. Do you feel your "roatation" allows ample time to foster competence in both areas?'
    Our medics are rotated off medic units when they, "need a break". Some rotate to engines once a month, some rotate once a year.
    there are some ff/pm that haven't performed some ff skills in years.
    Yes, I think that's a problem.
    But we're working on it with the Training division.

Cool Fire medics

I am with a large County Dept in Fla.We have roughly 600 personnel, covering greater than 1600 square miles. We have a medic contract when we get hired. It states that we will become a medic within 5 years or we are terminated. We have ALS fire based transports which are mostly dual medic staffed. Most of our LTs and DEs are medics and our engines are all ALS. You have to have your medic move up now. You volunteer to be on the rescue and it gives you an extra $2.00 hr, and then you are usually not floated to another station if someone is out.Both of our special teams are all medics, so tech and hazmat are 6 medic stations each. Most guys do a year or so on the box and then transfer to get on an engine. So far we have ran over 42000 calls dept wide.We just took over the county private ambulance service and retained some of the better people and have staffed 12hr "high performance trucks" with them. they perform inter facility transports and respond to calls for the city dept. The extra cash is good for the transport guys, that way it helps keep down the animosity between the engine guys who arrive on scene, get canceled by the rescue and get to go back to bed

Thread Information