Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

If there was ever a poster child for a VERTICLE vent,that's it! Don't know why roof venting has become somewhat of a lost art lately.Particularly with so many Platforms being purchased.Get your crews in place,THEN vent. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SoloBlitz View Post
    Yea, like this..http://firefightersafety.net/videos....rectlink&id=39

Vertical ventilation is preferred in gaseous fires as these, The likelihood of feeding in fresh cool air from a window is too high... Ka-Boom......

When you put the hole in the roof, The stovepipe affect shuts of the inflow of oxygen and allows the safe removal of the super heated gas's and heat.. It's better for the victims, and it's better for us..

You wouldn't break out the windows on a smoldering fire would you??
    Actually that is exactly right. First you need a line in place. The fire comming out of the windows looks spectacular, but along with the flames goes the heat. If you are the first arriving engine on a single family; why wait for a truck to arrive to vent the roof? An aggressive interior attack does well while the crew vents as they go and the driver does his part outside.
    PGFD

Quote Originally Posted by allpro View Post
    Actually that is exactly right. First you need a line in place. The fire comming out of the windows looks spectacular, but along with the flames goes the heat. If you are the first arriving engine on a single family; why wait for a truck to arrive to vent the roof? An aggressive interior attack does well while the crew vents as they go and the driver does his part outside.
    I'm sorry, I disagree...

First, Horizontal ventilation is most effective in fires that are in the incipient stage.. After more of the room and contents become involved, The fire will release more heat/ hazardous by-products than you can release on a 'natural' lateral plane..

Secondly, There's more than meet's the eye apparently when it comes to that "Spectacular looking fire".. I'll bet the temp in that room went up over 1500 degrees when it ignited.. And what blew out the windows, Probably blew down the hallways as well.

Don't get me wrong, There's a time for Horizontal ventilation... But Not Here... With the benefit of gravity, and the releasing of the super heated gas's at the "Highest" point. Vertical Ventilation is much more effective,
    With alot less side effects.

Finally, The M word........ ma ma MANPOWER.... I don't have to wait long, Neither does HFD (mostly), So it would logically make more sense to put some dudes on the roof.. It's just automatic..

Stay Safe...
    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    The only way to compensate for actual incident experience is to be trained properly, using established and accepted criteria, by those experienced enough to actually know what they are talking about.

Thread Information