Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread: 100+ foot Quint

Forum Member

Default 100+ foot Quint

If you were to spec either a 105' or a 110' quint who would it be made by and what different specs would you have on it?

MembersZone Subscriber

What are you looking for? Mid mount? Rear mount? Platform or stick? There's a lot of variation there.

We run a 2003 Sutphen 110' platform. Carries a 500 gal tank, 1000 ft 5", 4 150' 1 3/4" lines, 1 200' 3" line and a blitzfire in the front bumper, along with a strong compliment of truck co tools. It also has almost 170 ft of ground ladders. Compartment space is in the neighborhood off 200+ cu. ft.

Forum Member

Probably a rear mount because we have some hard-to-access areas. I have no experience with a mid-mount so i wouldn't know if we wanted one or not. This quint would be first out to apartment and high-occupancy buildings. We would need a lot of hose and compartment space.

If it was a platform, we would want a tower-ladder. Otherwise just a stick
    Last edited by FFSKPII; 08-02-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Forum Member

Food for thought.

If access is an issue as you say, you might consider dropping back to a 75' or something on a single rear axle. That will shorten OAL and turning radius. With a 100+ ladder, you typically add a second rear axle and another set of outriggers.

On the occasions you need a larger aerial, call for a tower or longer stick.

Determine a couple of basic questions before you start your shopping.

1) Rear-mount or mid-mount?
    2) Steel or aluminum ladder?

That will narrow your choices to a manageable number. Operate and climb each type in your own jurisdiction. See how they handle the tight spaces. Any vendor that can't get you a demo, scratch them of the list.

It's important that you don't let the tail wag the dog in this type purchase.
    For example, Sutphen will sing the praises of mid-mount aluminum, while Pierce will likely push rear-mount steel.

Make your own objective and informed decision.

CP
    Last edited by Command6; 08-02-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Forum Member

75' would work for most of our fires. but the past couple fires we have had in apartments have been on floors 7 or above.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

If your original idea was to buy a 100 or 105 foot quint DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY A 75 FOOTER.

The worst thing in the world is buying the 75 foot stick and realizing almost immediately it is too small. Horizontal reach can be more important than vertical reach in some communities. And if you have any buildings over 6 or 7 stories the 75 footer is too short for needed vertical reach.

Sorry if I am coming across too strongly but my FD has 2-75 foot quints and a 105 foot straight stick and if the quints aren't positioned perfectly they can't reach on some buildings and on others are just too damn short to begin with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Excuse Me!!! Include all of us please especially the guys making aerials from 65' to 175' and Articulating platforms from 100' to 275'. Yo Some Guy, how about a little help here with some pics of the Cruiser.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaronl32 View Post
    Excuse Me!!! Include all of us please especially the guys making aerials from 65' to 175' and Articulating platforms from 100' to 275'. Yo Some Guy, how about a little help here with some pics of the Cruiser.
    Im sorry, but was this intended for me or somebody else? And what exactly is the "Cruiser"

Forum Member

It doesn't matter Tony,you can't get the Metz in there.I would hazard a guess we can put our Midmount anywhere you can put a rear mount. And you REALLY need to look at what you want this vehicle to do.We've never had an aerial shorter than 100' and I wouldn't want one for what we do with ours.If you have 7 story bldgs you will want to look a 85' minumum and I think a 100 will be even better.Now if you want to know what works in TIGHT spots,go to the Rosenbauer america site and watch Tony T working the streets in old Quebec.Pretty snug in spots.Came back with the paint intact.Do your homework CAREFULLY,you're talking a signicant chunk of change here.I prefer MM's personally for a variety of reasons. I suggest you try a version of each in your community before you make a decision. T.C.

Forum Member

If you have the money, look at the T-rex.

Forum Member

Default Quints

My dept purchased an HP 75 (E One) 7 years ago. It was a program apparatus and I think the main reason was there was a need for a stick in the FD as the city was growing with industrial businesses moving in. The Chief at the time didn't think the city council would give us a thumbs up so there was no committee, kinda just a shoot from the hip. Now, we see that 75' is NOT nearly enough. Even for the set backs on many residential houses.

Take you time. Form a committee and really look into what would best fit you.

Good Luck!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    If your original idea was to buy a 100 or 105 foot quint DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY A 75 FOOTER.

The worst thing in the world is buying the 75 foot stick and realizing almost immediately it is too small. Horizontal reach can be more important than vertical reach in some communities. And if you have any buildings over 6 or 7 stories the 75 footer is too short for needed vertical reach.

Sorry if I am coming across too strongly but my FD has 2-75 foot quints and a 105 foot straight stick and if the quints aren't positioned perfectly they can't reach on some buildings and on others are just too damn short to begin with.
    Wholeheartedly agree with this. Once you buy your aerial you are stuck with that size until you buy a new truck, its not like a preconnect that you can splice in an extra length or two if you need it. You get something smaller and you get forced to set up in the not ideal area and you can't use the aerial. Buy the biggest you can afford, fit in the fire house, and fit in the streets. You get blocked from your spot by the engine, by a car, by some sort of other obstacle and you are stuck with ground ladders only.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFSKPII
    If you were to spec either a 105' or a 110' quint who would it be made by and what different specs would you have on it?
    I'd recommend one of the three below. Specs is out of my area (for now).

1. E One 110' : http://www.e-one.com/products.htm?li...typeID=12&id=7

2. Sutphen SPH 100 : http://www.sutphen.com/Truck.asp?truckid=1

3. Sutphen SP 100 : http://www.sutphen.com/Truck.asp?truckid=2

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

The Sutphen 110' tower looks very nice. I have also seen a Smeal 105' quint that was nice, but not very much space in the cab. A lot of the guys that have been here for a LONG time want a LaFrance, which i have no problem with, as long as ALF doesnt fold. The only E-Ones that i have seen have been 75' quints. When we climbed it, it was very shaky though. But then again, that was my first time climbing and ladder.

And yes, a 75' is deffinatly out of the question.

A MM or RM, well what are the main differances? Obviously one is mid the other is rear. But things such as water tank capacity, travel hight, overall length, weight. Stuff like that
    Last edited by FFSKPII; 08-03-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Forum Member

FM1,Why aluminum? Nothing wrong with it,nor the models you mentioned,but there are SO many other possibilities. If it's reach you want,Smeal is right up there at the top.Their platforms have more horizontal reach than any of the units you mentioned. T.C.

Forum Member

I don't have any problems with the Smeal, or a dislike of steel ladders. I have a couple, and do like them. Problem we have, is they are just a tad too tall for some stations.
    I do have a preference of aluminum over steel for ladders, but I wouldn't reject an aerial because of it's material if it did what we want or needed it to do.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Dose Metz offer a suport vehicle to carry all of the euipment your "trucks" can't? In all seriousness... I don't care who you are....those numbers are impressive.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

You CAN get a NFPA load of ground ladders on a METZ. The footage will vary if you spec the Metz as a LADDER or a QUINT.There is room in the torque box for a full set as specified by NFPA.No trailer or Yugo required. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    FM1,Why aluminum? Nothing wrong with it,nor the models you mentioned,but there are SO many other possibilities. If it's reach you want,Smeal is right up there at the top.Their platforms have more horizontal reach than any of the units you mentioned. T.C.
    An un-named manufacturer (located in Appleton, Wi.) says aluminum is no good for an aerial.....Oh, no....wait.......never mind.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Ok, so here are some trucks that we have thought about:

Smeal 105' RM on Sirus chassis
    ALF 110' RM on Eagle chassis
    Rosenbauer/Metz Raptor 102' on HME chassis
    Rosenbauer Viper 109' on HME chassis
    Sutphen SP110 tower/ladder

We havent really looked at Pierce or Seagrave, but i did look at the Pierce website, the 105'HD looks good. And for Seagrave, I cant recall seeing a quint longer that 75' from them, but thats just me

We want 2000 GPM and 500 gallons, but the 200 gallons on the Raptor would be fine.

Which do you guys prefer for your FD??

MembersZone Subscriber

Sutphen has the worst tower buckets in the industry. Plain fact. Look at the shape and the entrance/egress ladder in the front and think about accessing pitched roofs, windows that are not parallel with the body (or not perpendicular to the bucket) or working from the lip edge (SPH does have one). E-One finally changed their buckets to make them more user friendly. I think Peirce now offers one bucket beside the dumpster (Large rectangle) that in better suited, but it's time for Sutphen to make a few tweaks. Their "most copied design" is being left behind.

MembersZone Subscriber

RFDACMO2,

Are you anywhere near Portland?

MembersZone Subscriber

RFDACMO2,

Are you anywhere near Portland?
    About 1.5 hrs North. You there or coming to the area?

MembersZone Subscriber

Naples on Tuesday evening.

Forum Member

Talking

Naples on Tuesday evening.
    Now why do you want to go to Naples Tony??? All they have over there are sebago lake crabs. Come on down to the shore and get some REAL crusteaceans & seafood. TC has to import his bugs from down here on the coast.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information