Default Top rung aerial ladder rescue. Any Info?

In the academy we watched a video of a rescue using an aerial ladder at a high-rise apartment fire. The window was just out of reach of the ladder and the firefighter was standing on the top rung and pulling victims out of the window. Has anyone seen this video or know any info about the incident? I have tried to search for it, but with no luck. Thanks!

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I know there was one like this in St. Louis in '94 or '95; I visited their fire museum in very early 1996, and they were telling me about a rescue that was precisely like that. The folks at their fire museum were helpful when I sent them a question by mail a few years back, so they may be similarly helpful in your search.

MembersZone Subscriber

Was it this one?

PS-Saddly both Firemen Barnes and Johnson have died. Barnes on 9-11...Johnson because of exposure during the rescue recovery

March 13, 1999
    After Big Fire, Thanking Rescuers and Seeking Shelter

By MONTE WILLIAMS

Bianca Bakija huddled yesterday with neighbors standing outside their 11-story Upper West Side building, peering up at its charred facade a day after it was damaged in an eight-alarm fire.

Ms. Bakija, a slender 29-year-old who has cancer, came to see whether anyone could retrieve crucial medical records that it had taken her two weeks to obtain. ''Without these medical records, the doctors can't operate,'' she told a group of firefighters who encircled her to hear her story.

Immediately, a fireman entered the building, at 300 West 109th Street, which is closed to its occupants indefinitely, to retrieve the records. Before he returned, with the medical papers in hand, Ms. Bakija remembered that she had forgotten her father's medication. Another fireman went to get that. Twice in a row, mission accomplished.

It was not the first time the firefighters who battled the blaze had proven themselves. On Thursday, a firefighter climbed to the very top of an aerial ladder to rescue infant twins handed out of a window.

Yesterday, the distraught mother who handed her babies to the firefighter atop that ladder came face to face with him again, at City Hall.

''You treated our children like they were your own,''the mother, Linda Kalodner, told Firefighter Matthew Barnes. ''There's nothing I can say but thanks.''

Mr. Barnes recalled that he unsuccessfully tried to convince Ms. Kalodner to keep the 6-week-old infants, Isabella and Jacob Kalodner, in the apartment until firefighters reached them from inside the building. ''She advised me she wasn't going to do that, she wanted her babies out now,'' he recalled at the ceremony at City Hall.'' I figured that if she's willing to pass her baby out a 10th-story window, I should take it.''

The fire broke out shortly before 1 P.M. on Thursday in a Mexican restaurant on the first floor, where fire officials say it was started by food left cooking while a chef was away from the stove. It spread to higher floors through ducts, injuring 29 residents and 4 firefighters and putting residents of the building's 134 apartments out of their residences. The Red Cross housed three families in hotels on Thursday night.

Firefighters told residents yesterday that they would be allowed in the building tomorrow for 10 minutes to retrieve heirlooms, clothing and other valuables, but could not say when they would be allowed to return permanently.

''First we have to get gas and electric back in the building,'' Fire Chief Brian Dixon said. ''Then the Buildings Department has to see if there's structural damage.''

Joanne Slicker, an architect who has lived in the building for 24 years, stayed Thursday night with her sister in Philadelphia. Ms. Slicker is already shopping for a new apartment.

Other tenants displaced by the fire also moved in with others, temporarily.

Camille de Ganon, who has lived in the building for 10 years, started biting her nails when a fire official told residents that he did not know when they might be able to reoccupy their homes.

Ms. de Ganon, an actress, spent the night with a friend, Michael Mulheren, an actor. She was in a cab coming home from a visit to the veterinarian with her dog, Lily, on Thursday when she saw the flames shooting from windows. ''I screamed and threw my money in the front seat of the cab and hopped out,'' she said. ''He actually got a good tip.''

Ms. de Ganon stood outside the building for several hours yesterday. She had just gone shopping for underwear, tights, shampoo, and other essentials.

''For some reason I had deodorant in my bag already,'' she said. ''I don't know why.''

Last night, Ms. Bakija, her father and her boyfriend were taken in by the family she works for. She found additional assistance at Public School 165, at 234 West 109 Street, where neighbors, teachers and the American Red Cross, which had set up a service center, gave her shoes and a wool jacket to replace clothing still in her apartment.

Ms. Bakija, a nanny for two children who live across the street, recalled how ''the fireman dragged me out of bed. I grabbed two of my cats. They wouldn't even let me get my shoes. I was standing outside with just socks on.'' The firemen rescued two other cats living with Ms. Bakija, who shares an apartment with her father, an artist, and her boyfriend, a high school teacher. Neither her father nor boyfriend was home during the fire.

''I'm going to have to find a new place to stay,'' Ms. Bakija said. ''The family I work for has two cats, so now there are six cats and all of these people. There's not enough room.''

Photo: Bianca Bakija, who is to undergo cancer surgery, got some needed medical records back yesterday after a firefighter retrieved them from her apartment. A day earlier, she said, firefighters had rescued her. (Nancy Siesel/The New York Times)

---------------------------------

May 22, 1999
    Another Restaurant Fire Makes a Neighborhood Uneasy

By ROBERT D. McFADDEN

Ten weeks after a restaurant fire swept a landmark cooperative building on the Upper West Side and left hundreds of residents temporarily homeless, a fire in another restaurant a block away heavily damaged another Broadway apartment building yesterday and left a sense of deja vu in a jittery neighborhood.

Unlike the earlier fire that injured 33 people, prompted dramatic rescues and gutted the 11-story Manhasset on Broadway between 108th and 109th Streets, the fire yesterday in a restaurant called 107 West, on Broadway between 107th and 108th Streets, caused no civilian injuries and led to no rescues and less-than-devastating damage to the 50 apartments at 2785 Broadway.

But a dozen firefighters suffered smoke inhalation and other injuries, and the most serious -- a broken arm -- was sustained by Firefighter Stephen Johnson, who had assisted in an aerial-ladder rescue of two infants passed to safety by their mother through an upper-story window at the Manhasset on March 11.

Though still under investigation, the fire yesterday apparently began about 10:30 A.M. in the restaurant kitchen as cooks prepared for the day's service. Flames and heat poured up through air shafts and ducts, fire officials said, and residents carrying backpacks and other hastily assembled belongings fled down stairwells and into the street even before firefighters arrived.

As clouds of gray smoke billowed and Broadway again became a tangle of fire engines, ladder trucks and other emergency vehicles, some 160 firefighters battled stubborn flames for two hours. They were watched by scores of residents -- the displaced and the distressed -- who voiced concerns over neighborhood restaurants' garbage, foul odors, noise and a series of fires in recent years.

''I knew this was going to happen,'' said Paul Aston, 46, who has lived for seven years in the fire-damaged building -- actually two beige buildings, one of seven stories and one of five that share an address and twin fire escapes on the facade. ''After the last fire, we got renters' insurance and bought a fire extinguisher.''

Hugging his sobbing wife, Tina, Mr. Aston, a musician, said that tenant complaints had been ignored by the owner of 107 West. ''There's always garbage on the sidewalk rotting, oil and meat,'' Mr. Aston said. ''I've asked him for years to do something and respect the neighborhood.''

Thomas Hui, the owner of the restaurant, which appeared to have sustained only light damage in its dining room, brushed the accusations aside and played down the fire's effects. ''Nobody was injured, and it looks like the residents will be able to go back tonight,'' he said. ''I'm happy about that.''

But besides the injured firefighters, the three-alarm fire and water and other firefighting damage left windows smashed, walls and ceilings charred and torn and some apartments uninhabitable, particularly in the rear above the kitchen, fire officials said. The Red Cross was making arrangements to put some residents up temporarily.

While the tenants escaped without injury and the flames were brought under control by 12:30 P.M., firefighters continued for hours to search the building for pockets of fire, in some cases pulling down walls and ceilings to uncover lingering embers.

As they did so, residents of the building and of the neighborhood stood behind barricades to watch and to talk of their uneasiness, of the dangers of restaurants as neighbors and of nearby restaurant fires in recent years: at the Samad Delicatessen and Nacho Mama's Burritos, both on Broadway near 111th Street, and at Teachers Too, on Broadway near 82d Street.

There were still signs of the fire at the Manhasset: a guard posted around the clock, barricades and scaffolding outside the damaged facade of the stately turn-of-the-century co-op on the west side of Broadway a block north of yesterday's fire.

It was a fire in a Mexican restaurant on the ground floor that turned into that eight-alarm blaze, prompting dramatic rescues by Firefighters Johnson, Matthew Barnes and others; injuries to 29 civilians and 4 firefighters, and damage that turned hundreds of residents into temporarily homeless people. Most are grimly prepared for a year's absence during repairs.

In an uneasy neighborhood that had not forgotten, some residents said they would take their concerns over restaurant problems to Community Board 7 on the Upper West Side. Others spoke of seeking tougher enforcement of fire codes governing restaurants.

Forum Member

It was probably def matty barnes L-25 7 in Heaven!

Forum Member

FF Barnes and Johnson went "above and beyond" the call of duty.

Of course, there are "those who will remain un-named" who would never even consider doing that.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

There was a highly documented case study from Memphis of a fire at 750 Adams that resulted in numerous rescues, but also two civilian and two fire fighter fatalities.

At that incident, there were rescues made from aerials beyond their standard reach.

One member who recently retired after 40 years, climbed on top of the bucket of a tower that was maxed out and was able to jump up and then pull himself up and into a window to effect civilian rescues. Another guy on a straight stick was standing on the last rung to do the same thing.

The fire was in 1994. I would bet a coca cola that you probably saw the video from this case study.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Some Guy

I was thinking maybe the Paxton Hotel fire in Chicago?
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

the paxton was amazing.... truckies with portable ladders, I believe 60 or more victims.

Does anyone know where to get that video?
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Another FDNY guy did it in the 70s, Retired BC Dowling, he got the Gordon Bennett for it. There have been a bunch of times in the past that rescues have been executed in this fashion. I'd have to check my buff books to find them though.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Default 1994 memphis rescue

There was a fire in memphis, well before my time, that had a top rung aerial rescue. From my understanding quite a few of the 14 people rescued were brought down this way and the way I heard it the ff's were on the top rung reaching for victims. Two firefighters died in the fire. I have a link for a video that talks about those deaths but you can see the aerial set up at the end of the video.
    http://www.firemuseum.com/html/conte...d=23&nav_id=4&
    can't figure out how to save the video but go to the link posted and click on regis tower 1994 fire.

hmm didn't see memphis34a's post

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    There was a highly documented case study from Memphis of a fire at 750 Adams that resulted in numerous rescues, but also two civilian and two fire fighter fatalities.

At that incident, there were rescues made from aerials beyond their standard reach.

One member who recently retired after 40 years, climbed on top of the bucket of a tower that was maxed out and was able to jump up and then pull himself up and into a window to effect civilian rescues. Another guy on a straight stick was standing on the last rung to do the same thing.

The fire was in 1994. I would bet a coca cola that you probably saw the video from this case study.

Robert, that was the one that hit my mind when I read the OP.

There may be others of course. We had guys make several rescues years back, operating from a pompier above the tip of the aerial.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information